Window blinds

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)

• Ahmad
    Participant

Sorry for being technical Canucklad, just for my professional development, I would be interested in knowing where such a rule is stated?

canucklad
    Participant

Sorry Ahmad, it’s one of those things that I’ve heard 2nd hand and so often from crew etc,that I’ve always assumed it as fact
    I’d love to hear from our cabin crew contributors for the definitive answer.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=774203]
    Finally I’m absolutely sure its a mandatory rule that all blinds should be open on take off and landing so that the light outside matches the light inside. So that our eyes are already adjusted in case of the worst case scenario.

[/quote]

I’m fairly certain it’s an airline-specific “rule” nowadays, as it does differ between UK carriers these days.

Ahmad
    Participant

I am in the same boat Canucklad, that is why I asked here a few days ago whether anyone remembers when they started imposing the ‘rule’. I remember it from the early nineties and distinctly remember crew on various airlines saying it is an IATA rule.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

IATA does publish a ‘ Best Practice’ guide, which includes recommendations on window blinds, but it is not a regulation.

http://web.shgm.gov.tr/documents/sivilhavacilik/files/pdf/saglik_birimi/mevzuat/cos-bp-guide-may19.pdf – see section 2.50 – the reference is at the top of page 61.

As I understand it (in the UK) airlines agree their Ops Manual with the CAA and it is then binding on them, so BA only needs to open exit row blinds, whilst easyJet opens all.

Ahmad
    Participant

@FDOS_UK,

I couldn’t open your link. The latest version of the IATA Cabin Operatins Safety Best Practices Guide is the 2nd Edition published in 2015. Here’s a link:

http://www.iata.org/publications/Documents/cabin-operations-safety-bp-guide-2015.pdf

I am attaching a picture of the relevant part which is 2.38.2 at page 51 of the guide. Note the portion highlighted by me relating to electronically dimmable windows, which clearly states that passengers are to be allowed to operate them freely above 10,000 feet.

It must be appreciated that IATA does not have the authority to prescribe any rules. The closest it ever came to setting safety rules was through its IATA Operational Safety Audit Manual which was considered the Bible in days gone by. These rules are prescribed by national governments or regional bodies like the EU and to a certain extent are in keeping with standards laid down by the Interbational Civil Aviation Organisation. IATA recognises this and has the following in the disclaimer at the beginning of the 2015 guidelines:

The information contained in this publication is subject to constant review in light of changing government requirements and regulations.
    No subscriber or other reader should act on the basis of any such information without referring to applicable laws and regulations and/or without seeking appropriate professional advice
    .”

Thus, my (lazy and non-professional) search for the relevant rules blunders on …

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ahmad – I was wondering what caused you to research the legislation – until I noticed your profession. I am sure you could open a “clinic” to assist the Forum members ….

A belated welcome to you…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=774229] @FDOS_UK,

I couldn’t open your link. The latest version of the IATA Cabin Operatins Safety Best Practices Guide is the 2nd Edition published in 2015. Here’s a link:

http://www.iata.org/publications/Documents/cabin-operations-safety-bp-guide-2015.pdf

I am attaching a picture of the relevant part which is 2.38.2 at page 51 of the guide. Note the portion highlighted by me relating to electronically dimmable windows, which clearly states that passengers are to be allowed to operate them freely above 10,000 feet.

It must be appreciated that IATA does not have the authority to prescribe any rules. The closest it ever came to setting safety rules was through its IATA Operational Safety Audit Manual which was considered the Bible in days gone by. These rules are prescribed by national governments or regional bodies like the EU and to a certain extent are in keeping with standards laid down by the Interbational Civil Aviation Organisation. IATA recognises this and has the following in the disclaimer at the beginning of the 2015 guidelines:

The information contained in this publication is subject to constant review in light of changing government requirements and regulations.
    No subscriber or other reader should act on the basis of any such information without referring to applicable laws and regulations and/or without seeking appropriate professional advice
    .”

Thus, my (lazy and non-professional) search for the relevant rules blunders on …

[/quote]

Hi Ahmad, thanks for sharing this updated document.

Ahmad
    Participant

You are welcome @FDOS_UK. This guide is likely to have other things of interest too.

Thank you @MartynSinclair. I am very internet shy but find this forum to be a good place to draw on the experience of other genuine frequent travellers and occasionally put in my two bits without attracting the inevitable bombardment of nuisance and junk mail.

Unfortunately, aviation law is not my strong suit. Still, if anyone is stuck for advice on a purely legal issue, feel free to ask. I might be able to point you in the right direction.

canucklad
    Participant

Getting back to David Gordon’s original point, and the potential effects of artificially managing darkness, I’d like to share my recent EDI-HKG experience with QR and their Dreamliner.

All times local ……..

Sunset in West Lothian at apx 23.00 hours
    Good night of sleep and awaken at 4.30 with sun shining through my bedroom windows
    Depart EDI @ 8.30 am, have breakfast and plunged into darkness shortly afterwards
    1 hour out of Doha, snack offered and blinds up, landing in Arabian sunshine @ 5.30
    An hour or so later, check in to hotel in darkness
    Wake up at 5am to sunrise and taxi to airport shortly after
    Flight departs to HKG @ 7.30 and breakfast is served shortly after.
    Blinds down and once again plunged into darkness.
    Blinds up for a night time landing @ 21.30
    Wake up @ 9.00 to a balmy day in Discovery Bay

I calculate out that from waking up in West Lothian summer to waking up in HK I enjoyed 10 hours of natural light in a 48 hour period.

So, I’m defiantly in DG’s camp here. Especially on West t.o East flights.
    East, west flights are slightly different as you’re chasing the sun

Ahmad
    Participant

@Canucklad,

The next time they do that to you, throw the book at them by quoting 2.38.2 of the IATA Cabin Operatins Safety Best Practices Guide 2015.

midorosan
    Participant

Tried watching a movie with eye shades on not very effective.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just flew in with Swiss and asked the question again. I was told it’s mandatory for t/o and landing for safety reasons. Next flight is Lufthansa and I’ll ask again and report.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=774658]Tried watching a movie with eye shades on not very effective.

[/quote]

Good one lol

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=774658]Tried watching a movie with eye shades on not very effective.

[/quote]

Watching a movie is not part of the contract with the airline.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls