Window blinds

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I believe the windows must be raised before landing in case of an accident so the crew can see if there’s fire on one side or the other.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=773353]I believe the windows must be raised before landing in case of an accident so the crew can see if there’s fire on one side or the other.

[/quote]

LP on some airlines, yes, but not all – e.g.on BA, only the exit row blinds need to be up.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

interesting FDOS. On both LX and LH an announcement is made before landing that all blinds must be raised though they don’t say why – I found that out by asking a cabin crew member.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BA – don’t seem to mind blinds being down

BA City Flyer – -crew go round raising blinds before landing…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Different AOC/SOPS.

Ahmad
    Participant

Trying to remember the airline(s) and the circa (when they started this business of raising the blinds along with putting the seat backs upright before take off and on commencing decent) cabin crew used to tell whoever resisted that IATA regulations mandate it. Does anyone recall this. I remember checking at the time only to find out no such regulations existed! But did I bother asking the crew to show me the rule book … three guesses!!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Speaking with a manager at QR recently he admitted the 787 is fast becoming the most unpopular plane in the fleet. Passengers in economy hate it – not peculiar to Qatar of course and business class passengers find it the poor relation of the A350, A380 or even the 777 which of course QR is about to refit. Apparently since the A350 replaced the 787 on one of the LHR services bookings on that flight have soared in both classes. At the same time the 787 replaced an A330 and bookings on that flight have dropped. It’s obviously more than people like us who travel a lot who have noticed how bad the 787 is and when there’s a choice it’s avoided.

I raised the matter of the window blinds and said it was why I avoid the 787 – I’ve only been on it twice this year and he said with retrospect it is seen as a mistake. Apparently QR have told their crews not to use the over ride control but he said he knows it is still happening. He described it as a misguided tool to suit the crew not the passengers and that was totally wrong.

If I’m alone I generally opt for a window seat and the blinds stay open and I don’t mind who doesn’t like it. If I’m with Mrs JH and we have middle seats then we have to endure rather than enjoy.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=773549]Speaking with a manager at QR recently he admitted the 787 is fast becoming the most unpopular plane in the fleet. Passengers in economy hate it – not peculiar to Qatar of course and business class passengers find it the poor relation of the A350, A380 or even the 777 which of course QR is about to refit. Apparently since the A350 replaced the 787 on one of the LHR services bookings on that flight have soared in both classes. At the same time the 787 replaced an A330 and bookings on that flight have dropped. It’s obviously more than people like us who travel a lot who have noticed how bad the 787 is and when there’s a choice it’s avoided.

I raised the matter of the window blinds and said it was why I avoid the 787 – I’ve only been on it twice this year and he said with retrospect it is seen as a mistake. Apparently QR have told their crews not to use the over ride control but he said he knows it is still happening. He described it as a misguided tool to suit the crew not the passengers and that was totally wrong.

If I’m alone I generally opt for a window seat and the blinds stay open and I don’t mind who doesn’t like it. If I’m with Mrs JH and we have middle seats then we have to endure rather than enjoy.

[/quote]

I find it quite ridicules that someone would stop using an airline based on something as silly and minor as a window blind, in the world full of starvation and war, is it really that important. Surely the cost of a flight and the timings of its schedule is more important that whether you are able to ” control ” (because that’s what this all comes down to) a piece of plastic or tinted glass on an aircraft.

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=773555]
    I find it quite ridicules that someone would stop using an airline based on something as silly and minor as a window blind, in the world full of starvation and war, is it really that important. Surely the cost of a flight and the timings of its schedule is more important that whether you are able to ” control ” (because that’s what this all comes down to) a piece of plastic or tinted glass on an aircraft.

[/quote]

Well each to their own. I’m not sure where I said I didn’t use an airline because of window blinds, I said I avoided the 787, a plane I dislike for a number of reasons.

As a paying passenger I choose to exercise that right and I find it ‘quite ridiculous’ that someone should try to deny me that right.

I don’t either seem to live in a world ‘full of starvation and war’. Perhaps you do?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The BA club world seat divider – I always raise this when boarding (I do not wish to stare at a stranger). it is overridden for take off and landing and constantly moved during the meal service. But it will stay raised, unless I am travelling with a colleague.

I would find it very strange if cabin crew refused to allow a passenger to override the 787 window shades, once the crew had mandated to close them. Even if they are opened by one stage of auto, it will not fill the cabin with light.

Certainly my experience with BA is that once crew have done their auto closure of the blinds, if I explain why I would like the blinds the way I do, I have never been challenged….

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

Thank you for this interesting comment John. It seems though that QR top management does not care much about passengers’ feedback given their recent 787-9s order.

Qatar Airways orders 40 B787 and B777 aircraft

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=773574]Thank you for this interesting comment John. It seems though that QR top management does not care much about passengers’ feedback given their recent 787-9s order.
    [/quote]

I agree – but remember that given the personality of Al-Baker who you can never believe from one moment to the next coupled with his disregard for other human beings nothing is certain until an aircraft is delivered. Boeing are currently in favour with him, last week and next week it will be Airbus. Remember this is also the man who declared that LHR should operate 24 hours a day and that the people living nearby should just be told to get used to it!

Either way I will continue to avoid the 787 as it’s a plane I and many others don’t like.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=773565]The BA club world seat divider – I always raise this when boarding (I do not wish to stare at a stranger). it is overridden for take off and landing and constantly moved during the meal service. But it will stay raised, unless I am travelling with a colleague.

I would find it very strange if cabin crew refused to allow a passenger to override the 787 window shades, once the crew had mandated to close them. Even if they are opened by one stage of auto, it will not fill the cabin with light.

Certainly my experience with BA is that once crew have done their auto closure of the blinds, if I explain why I would like the blinds the way I do, I have never been challenged….

[/quote]

Ok on the subject of club seat dividers, it is CAA regs that they are lowered before and during the safety demo, whether manual or screen. What you do after that is your choice. Regarding the lowering of it to server window, inside seats, this is a company rule based on a health and safety audit done when the seats where originally put in. Now if Crew decide to serve around the end of a seat or over a divider s personal choice, but should so will the back ache that comes from it.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=773565]The BA club world seat divider – I always raise this when boarding (I do not wish to stare at a stranger). it is overridden for take off and landing and constantly moved during the meal service. But it will stay raised, unless I am travelling with a colleague.

[/quote]

Ok on the subject of club seat dividers, it is CAA regs that they are lowered before and during the safety demo, whether manual or screen. What you do after that is your choice. Regarding the lowering of it to server window, inside seats, this is a company rule based on a health and safety audit done when the seats where originally put in. Now if Crew decide to serve around the end of a seat or over a divider s personal choice, but should so will the back ache that comes from it.

[quote quote=773561]

Well each to their own. I’m not sure where I said I didn’t use an airline because of window blinds, I said I avoided the 787, a plane I dislike for a number of reasons.

As a paying passenger I choose to exercise that right and I find it ‘quite ridiculous’ that someone should try to deny me that right.

I don’t either seem to live in a world ‘full of starvation and war’. Perhaps you do?

[/quote]

Ok my apologies, Maybe you did not say you would avoid an airline due to window blinds, but you did say you avoided flying 787, thus if an airline uses a 787 on that route, you would be avoiding that airline due to the aircraft they use, so in a way I was correct in saying you would avoid an airline.
    As for you being a ” paying passenger ” can I say, just because you pay, does not mean you own the window blind, seat or in fact any other part of the aircraft, same as if you went into a restaurant and it had dim lighting, would you have the right to demand the lights to be up full because you paid for your steak that night… Maybe if people stopped thinking that money buys you rights and as well as the need for less respect to others this world would be a better place.

As for your comment saying that you do not live in a world full of starvation and war, maybe if you spent less time looking out your OPEN WINDOW BLIND, and more time reading or watching the news you would be able to see passed you blinkers at the world. There is starvation and war in Syria, Middle East, as well as starving children in India, Bucherest, China, South America. There are drugs wars in many parts of the world, gun wars in South Africa … do I need to go on.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Ok my apologies, Maybe you did not say you would avoid an airline due to window blinds, but you did say you avoided flying 787, thus if an airline uses a 787 on that route, you would be avoiding that airline due to the aircraft they use, so in a way I was correct in saying you would avoid an airline.

No, you have made a logical fallacy to try to save face; John’s post was clear.

As for you being a ” paying passenger ” can I say, just because you pay, does not mean you own the window blind, seat or in fact any other part of the aircraft, same as if you went into a restaurant and it had dim lighting, would you have the right to demand the lights to be up full because you paid for your steak that night… Maybe if people stopped thinking that money buys you rights and as well as the need for less respect to others this world would be a better place.

Pleas try reading posts before replying, it saves time and will make you look less stupid. John says his right as a paying passenger is to choose the airline or aircraft type he flies.

That is absolutely his right.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls