Window blinds

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

FWIW, the only BA SOPs about blinds open for takeoff/landing covers exit blinds – all others are at the whim of pax.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Flying both Kulula and SAA in South Africa I have on several occasions heard the announcement “as mandated by the Civil Aviation Authority all windows blinds must remain open for take off and landing”.

handbag
    Participant

I have not had chance to read whole thread, so this may have already been covered.

On BA longhaul flights, on every single flight, it is a requirement that the Cabin Crew close all passenger blinds(not doors) before we leave the aircraft. We have to do this no matter where we are, for how long the aircraft will sit there or whatever the temperature. If you board a BA aircraft, they will all still be down unless the cleaners have pushed them back up. We are told it is to keep the aircraft cool, which makes sense in Dubai in July, but not New York in December. As FDOS_UK mentioned, door windows must be open for take off and landing , pax can do as they wish.

K1ngston
    Participant

Like handbag, I started the thread but have not read it all so dont know if this has been covered. As someone who basically only travels in the back of the plane I always like the shades to be closed, otherwise during the day it disturbs not only the viewing of the IFE but also disturbs if trying to snooze etc. At night of course not a major issue unless flying into the sun whereby the light will also disturb.

What I find incredulous is the people who every 30 minutes find they need to open the blind to look during the day?? Please explain what there is to see at 38,000 feet pray tell when I last looked and that was a long time ago I seen to remember clouds or water or ………

FDOS_UK
    Participant

What I find incredulous is the people who every 30 minutes find they need to open the blind to look during the day?? Please explain what there is to see at 38,000 feet pray tell when I last looked and that was a long time ago I seen to remember clouds or water or ………

There is none so blind, as he who does not see……

K1ngston
    Participant

🙂 FDOS_UK

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=821047]What I find incredulous is the people who every 30 minutes find they need to open the blind to look during the day?? Please explain what there is to see at 38,000 feet pray tell when I last looked and that was a long time ago I seen to remember clouds or water or ………

[/quote]

I like to see if I can see roads, boats, even people. I also like to check the engines are still under the wing and have not fallen off somewhere.

The clouds are also rather pretty and remembering watching Noddy with my then young kids, Noddy would often travel to a cloud in his car with Big Ears or PC Plod, so maybe I’ll see him as well. 😉

The one thing I never see is people, which makes me think if we can’t see people from 38,000 feet how can we expect to see them on Mars at 140,000,000 miles?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Some airlines require open blinds on take off/landing and it would save time and lives in many incidents when its dangerous on one side only,remember the BA 737 accident many years ago.
    Some routes have great views throughout,most day flights from HKG to Oz and v.v.are very interesting!

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls