Window blinds

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)

• Ahmad
    Participant

And mine is based on first hand experimentation (for whatever it’s worth). I have a pair of so called ‘active wear’ spectacles which are meant to be more sensitive than the normal changeables behind transparent windows. These darken slightly in cars whereas my other changeable ones don’t. The better the UV protection in the car window, the lesser these glasses darken. I say that from experience in my own cars and rented ones. I have tried them in planes and guess what, they don’t darken at all! Result: Plane windows have better UV protection than BMWs.

Ekond222
    Participant

…oh that would explain why I’ve never seen a pilot on a daytime flight wear sunglasses…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775759]…oh that would explain why I’ve never seen a pilot on a daytime flight wear sunglasses…

[/quote]

You do realise that UV frequencies are not the only energy in sunlight, don’t you and that spectacles that darken in direct sunlight are not the same thing as sunglasses?

Ekond222
    Participant

Fdos…not sure what your point is…do you mean infrared light, photovoltaics, thermal energy or diffused light?…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775772]Fdos…not sure what your point is…do you mean infrared light, photovoltaics, thermal energy or diffused light?…

[/quote]

The sort that mandates wearing sunglasses during the day, but which is not the harmful UV spectrum.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=775778]

Fdos…not sure what your point is…do you mean infrared light, photovoltaics, thermal energy or diffused light?…

The sort that mandates wearing sunglasses during the day.

[/quote]

Or spectacles with anti-glare and UV protection… if I am not mistaken, modern technology has rendered tinting the lens optional.

Ekond222
    Participant

Most sunglasses filter out UV rays (A/B)..most glass will filter out UV light hence you dont sunburn/tan in a car unless you have the top or window down (that applies to your own or a rented car).

on another note you can’t see the curvature of the Earth from 35000ft…you could at 60,000ft but not from the window next to you.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=775786]

on another note you can’t see the curvature of the Earth from 35000ft…you could at 60,000ft but not from the window next to you.

[/quote]

Agreed it is not visible from your window at 35,000 ft. But it is visible further up and from your window. Can’t remember the height Concorde flew at but apparently it was visible to passengers. One can see it horizontally (as opposed to vertically) from the cockpit at 39,000 ft as I have over the Andaman Sea, in the good old days when they still let you into the cockpit.

Ekond222
    Participant

I was fortunate enough to fly Concorde several times and you could see the curvature of Earth from the window opposite – if the blind was up…but couldnt from the cockpit of a 747 38,000ft over the Atlantic.

Ekond222
    Participant

…I blame the clouds..

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=775790]…I blame the clouds..

[/quote]

I saw it towards the south in the direction of the Indian Ocean and come to think of it there was no cloud in sight even though it had been extremely cloudy on our ascent out of Singapore all the way to the Gulf if Siam.

Ekond222
    Participant

…sounds spectacular…

JohnHarper
    Participant

Sunset over Iraq as I flew north from Doha after leaving Qatar for the last time.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=776021]Sunset over Iraq as I flew north from Doha after leaving Qatar for the last time.

[/quote]

Wow

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Only excuse for shutting during the day is to reduce glare on the TV screen, that would only affect you and no one else.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls