Window blinds

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 128 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Just flown BOM to LHR in CW with BA.
    Flight departed 10.15am and all the blinds were closed immediately after service. My own blinds (over 3 windows) were forcibly closed by the crew without even asking. I immediately opened 2 of them again (after checking that they weren’t causing glare into someone’s eyes).
    A short while later as I dozed,not sleeping, crew again leant over and closed them.
    I opened both again.

Then the lady seated next to me in the aisle asked me to close it so she could go to sleep. I very politely declined explaining that since this was a day flight, I’d like to keep it open and handed her my eye shades.
    Crew seemed hell bent on a total blackout in the cabin.
    I’ve no wish to be awkward but that’s why I choose a window seat over an aisle.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller – when a similar event happened to me, I politely spoke to one of the cabin crew and explained why I preferred the shade partially open. After that, it wasn’t moved again…

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Just back from a day flight HKG – PEK – LHR. No issues at all with CA crew insisting on closing the blinds. Some pax kept theirs open, others who had started to snooze, the staff closed.

The pax next to me in the aisle seat put his eye shades on and pretty much slept the entire journey. As most pax were snoozing and as there was one window immediately next to me, I closed the other 2 that were a little further forward and kept this one half open.

I’m not sure I’d ever get into a ‘discussion’ over all ‘my’ blinds being kept open. If I can keep half of one open, thats good for me, and I think shows consideration for others. However, I wouldn’t argue the toss if the crew were adamant.

AhMrBond mentioned about glare only affecting only the TV screen in your seat. I’d have to slightly disagree, especially in Y. On an internal flight last week there was glare on my fellow pax screen from my open window.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

@Martyn.

I will take your advice next time….politely of course.

It may seem trivial to some but I am convinced it helps me to overcome the worst of jetlag and is therefore better for my health.

Ahmad
    Participant

BBC Travel’s compelling case for travelling in window seats with the blinds open:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20151019-the-moments-that-made-me-love-flying?ocid=twtvl

MrMichael
    Participant

Just clicked on your link Ahmed, and hey presto, it is not available in the U.K! I did not know the BBC made content not available to licence holders.

Ahmad
    Participant

Pity @MrMichael, the story titled Moments that made me love flying and dated 20 October 2015. You may be able to find it the hard way on bbc.com/travel.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

A huge plus of east west flights is that jet lag is reduced by keeping the daylight on during the flight – to close the blinds removes this advantage and I for one would resist this if I was in a window seat

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Window blinds up/down may in part be a cultural issue…

On a recent trip to the States, combining BA and AA…

A morning flight out of Heathrow to DUB – all blinds were up on boarding – wonderful sunlight filled the cabin and very few blinds came down.

The following sectors, all on AA – DUB-PHL-MCO-CLT-DUB – on boarding all shades were down and very few if any came up, even for take off / landing. On the internal flights (in C), I would say only 2 or 3 shades went up. On the day time trans Atlantic flight, I did close 2 out of the 3 blinds and kept the 3rd one partially open. I could see the ICE perfectly well, but still cabin crew shut my blind, without having the courtesy to ask me (it went back up). 45 minutes before landing all 3 blinds were fully opened so I could adjust.

Then there was one strange incident from CLT to DUB. After the safety briefing, a cabin crew member came down my side of the A330, stating window blinds must be up for take off an landing. I asked whether this was standard AA procedure and she confirmed it was… However, nearly all blinds on the other side of the aircraft remained shut. On landing, no one came through the cabin checking window blinds – most remained firmly closed.

I don’t think we have an AA crew contributing, but it would be interesting to hear what AA’s procedures are…

stevescoots
    Participant

I had a bit of a row with she who must be obeyed on our recent trip to the US. we were flying over salt lake on our way to San Jose and she kept opening and closing the blind, day flight. Now being a FF myself i know certain cabin ettiquete and calmly reminded her that its ok to keep them up if she wanted to look, but not keep open close, open close, open close as for fellow passengers its like a light being turned on and off if they are napping.

boy did i pay for it for the next 24 hours….and again when she told her friends…..of course i fell into the trap when she said I am never flying with you again…..as i said fine, suits me……we men never learn!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Pleased to see this thread is still alive after I started it last November! I have just returned from BDA with BA and astonished to see the lackadaisical attitude as to whether or not the blinds must be open for take-off and landing.

One issue that may be relevant to Martyn’s recent experience is that, in hot and sunny places such as MCO and CLT, it may be sensible for the blinds to be closed if the plane is on the stand for any length of time: it keeps the interior a little less hot. But I cannot understand them being closed when airborne.

Good story Steve! I hope you are not served the cold tongue pie for too long…..

SimonS1
    Participant

Came back from MCO recently and the blinds were closed on boarding to reduce heat.

I can’t see why it is makes any odds why they are open for take off and landing though? What difference does it make?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Simon, if there any emergancy on either take off or landing, passengers and crew need to see straight away what is going on outside.

SimonS1
    Participant

Are you saying it’s a safety requirement or just a good idea?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

A good idea. I don’t write the safety requirements.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls