Window blinds

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)

• TCSH11
    Participant

Fine FDOS_UK you read it your way I read it mine, We agree to disagree.

However as this is coming from someone who thought that the world had no Starvation or War, I am not sure I would trust any of the other points he raises. Like I said, maybe if he spent less time worrying about what aircraft is used, and whether he is allowed to raise a window blind or not and more worrying about important things like War, starvation and child poverty, the world might just be a better place, a point FDOS_UK you could heed too…

TCSH11
    Participant

Maybe FDSO_UK & Johnharper maybe the subject below is one that should be using more of your time and effort.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/should-ba-and-other-airlines-be-held-accountable/

RitaJuon
    Participant

When you have a daytime flight, that means, that you will get to your destination probably in the evening and should then get some sleep during the night. How can you possibly do that when you have slept all day long? You’ll never get rid of your jet lag.

MrMichael
    Participant

I think this argument has got all rather silly. There are more important things in the world than window blinds, but when one has got a window seat, and I prefer them, then that window is my window to the world, except when I want to close it. My window, nobody better dictate to me what to do with it. It does become briefly of major importance to me if someone intereferes with my window. I am flying the 787 next month for the first time (day flight LGW-JFK) , got a feeling I might get itrritated by it. Anybody know what Norwegian long haul policy is on control of the blinds?

TCSH11
    Participant

I agree, the post has become rather ridicules based on what’s going on in the world, famine etc. As for a window blind being YOURS this again is incorrect… if the larger proportion of a cabin wish to sleep and have sun streaming in, then they may wish to request it is lowered… it’s the same as if you were trying to sleep and people were standing in the area of your seat and talking, laughing etc very loudly, would you expect them to respect your wish to sleep? I expect so. Also not everyone is on the same time zone, not everyone has started a flight from LHR so may be more tired than others and want to sleep… crew have to deal with the majority… and so if all but one passenger want to sleep, or have sun light streaming onto their TV screen (see bet john never though of that being a reason blinds are lowered) then they will be lowered.

Just been reading the travel section of Telegrapgh and surprise surprise, seems 787 is an extremely popular aircraft.

MrMichael
    Participant

@TCSH11, I didn’t know ones behaviour on a flight now came down to democracy. Of course there are more important things in life than if a blind is up or down, as you say, famine, crime, Trump, and a zillion other things that blight lives. However, as has previously been said, people can take eyeshades if they wish to remain in darkness. Ultimately most behaviours on a flight should be down to good manners and respect for others. If the vast majority want to sleep on a daytime flight, more fool them. For example westbound transatlantic. I think the blinds down on a day flight is more about the crew wanting you to go to sleep so they have less people wanting things. I do however own up to the fact that if the majority were trying to sleep I would (like a sheep) close my blinds…..reluctantly.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

When I started it off, I never expected this thread to get so heated.

RitaJuon is making my fundamental point: it is generally best to stay awake during daytime flights. It helps minimise the jet lag. As MrMichael puts it more bluntly, ” If the vast majority want to sleep on a daytime flight, more fool them”. To close all the window blinds on a daytime westbound flight is simply unphysiological.

I know a lot of people say they like the 787, I don’t. Leaving aside the window blind question, there is the shortage of central luggage bins in the forward cabin (given for crew rest space in some configurations) and all those lithium-ion batteries. So if there is a flight on an alternative aircraft, at a reasonable price and at suitable times, I will take it for preference over the 787.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Sympathy for those who like daylight ‘though that is entirely subjective and personal. Just returned from Asia via HKG, woke at 2am to get 5am connection to HKG and got 9am flight to LHR eta 2.30pm so all were in daylight. Slept three times in darkened cabin and arrived refreshed and ready for a pm social event! Without such good sleep doubt I could have completed my vacation in the pub with friends!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Oh dear, one poster here has some very raw nerves. I suspect they are one of those crew who give BA a bad name, possibly flying on the 787 with all the windows shaded to make sure people sleep and don’t bother them. I won’t dignify their ranting which seems very focussed on me for some reason with further comment except to say I do hope they are working hard at preventing war and starvation although their disposition seems more likely to cause it.

One of the benefits of open window blinds is what you see outside in addition to the obvious points made by others about helping to prevent jet lag. For those of us who have to work on arrival that is of critical importance and crew would do well to remember that as it’s also why we pay the high fares for business and first class.

Just a couple of pics showing things I wouldn’t have seen with the window blinds closed – these pics were taken from an A350 that has nice big windows with blinds you control yourself. Both were taken in the last couple of weeks, the first over Iran at about 05.30 one morning just as the sun was beginning to rise and the other over the Nicobar Islands about 16.30 one afternoon.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=774150] As for a window blind being YOURS this again is incorrect… if the larger proportion of a cabin wish to sleep and have sun streaming in, then they may wish to request it is lowered…

[/quote]

They can request, but it is up to the person by the window to decide whether to agree.

Please cite the regulation that says it ain’t so.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=774167]Oh dear, one poster here has some very raw nerves. I suspect they are one of those crew who give BA a bad name, possibly flying on the 787 with all the windows shaded to make sure people sleep and don’t bother them. I won’t dignify their ranting which seems very focussed on me for some reason with further comment except to say I do hope they are working hard at preventing war and starvation although their disposition seems more likely to cause it.

One of the benefits of open window blinds is what you see outside in addition to the obvious points made by others about helping to prevent jet lag. For those of us who have to work on arrival that is of critical importance and crew would do well to remember that as it’s also why we pay the high fares for business and first class.

Just a couple of pics showing things I wouldn’t have seen with the window blinds closed – these pics were taken from an A350 that has nice big windows with blinds you control yourself. Both were taken in the last couple of weeks, the first over Iran at about 05.30 one morning just as the sun was beginning to rise and the other over the Nicobar Islands about 16.30 one afternoon.

[/quote]

Yes John, I agree – unless it is a certain army NCO in a different guise, wishing to get attention.

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=774173]Yes John, I agree – unless it is a certain army NCO in a different guise, wishing to get attention.

[/quote]

Ah DoS, I hadn’t thought of that. You are probably right and I was certainly the focus of a lot of vitriol for calling out the lies published by said poster and their handles when I quoted facts that contradicted their views!

I suppose it would be too much to hope that Voldemort really had gone to ground quietly, characters like that sadly do rise to be a nuisance another day.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=774180]

Yes John, I agree – unless it is a certain army NCO in a different guise, wishing to get attention.

Ah DoS, I hadn’t thought of that. You are probably right and I was certainly the focus of a lot of vitriol for calling out the lies published by said poster and their handles when I quoted facts that contradicted their views!

I suppose it would be too much to hope that Voldemort really had gone to ground quietly, characters like that sadly do rise to be a nuisance another day.

[/quote]

Is it a coincidence that I was thinking just that last week …. Having a disagreement with someone’s point of view or even having a heated debate over it is one thing, but trolling someone is not something to be encouraged. My policy … best not to confer legitimacy on such conduct by engaging them.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Ahmad

I agree – best to ignore trolling.

canucklad
    Participant

First of all, in this depressing world of war and starvation, there are moments in time that lift the soul and remind us all how wonderful and fragile our 3rd rock from the sun is.
    Sunrises over Iran and the Nicobar islands are great examples.
    My personal favoured memory was sitting next to an elderly Scottish crofter on the way to YVR, and the sheer joy on his face as we crossed over the western isles and his own little world lifted my spirit.

There are solutions to this,and I was under the impression that the dreamliners ability to shade rather than block was a way of solving this very dilemma.

I can see the argument of facilitating sleep for those passengers who have transitted at an awkward hour, I can also understand the reasoning behind the IFE issue.

Yet, it seems simple solutions are available to suit both camps. Splitting cabins into light and dark sections,improving the design of screens and lastly ensuring cabin crew aren’t artificially creating sleep patterns to induce non-demanding docile lab rats, thus lessening their work load.

Finally I’m absolutely sure its a mandatory rule that all blinds should be open on take off and landing so that the light outside matches the light inside. So that our eyes are already adjusted in case of the worst case scenario.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls