Tarantulas on a Plane!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 162 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hess, my friend…..errr, I think you might just have slightly bashed VK and Airpocket!!!

Let’s keep it light and humerous……..!

Hess963
    Participant

HI Simon– a seven course meal with beverages for 50 €–you lucky bloke !! You are right–you cannot find that in UK–well, with very less quality I suppose. Definitely try that while in Belgium next time.

Did I really bashed VK and Airpocket !! OH THESE RED WINES !! It was not my intention–OH these dreadful conseutudes!! You are right–must keep my humerous attitude and sereneness !!

Hess963
    Participant

Talking about food stuffs–Simon have you tried Matjes( I hope I spelled that right )–it’s raw? It was quite an adventure to try a whole fish battered in chopped onions( Sorry Scots!–it is not always battered in flour or similar and fried ) and swallow it wholly !! It tasted good–but after 3 fish–I have problems with my stomach !!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I certainly have, Hess. From a wonderful Zeebanket (Seafood Stall) by the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. Raw herring with onions. Lekker!!

AnnChan
    Participant

All,

On this thread, it is quite clear to me that we are all professionals, who, given a topic to discuss, are uncompromising in our focus, and possess acute attention span control skills, which are the envy of oh my goodness, I need to iron my top for tommorrow am, and you know, Mark never ever got back to me about my proposed sales strategy. Git.

Anyhoo, I feel confident enough in our collective skills to propose that we could, on the basis of such creative posts thus far, launch our own airline – ArteryAir – with our inaugural flt being on the much loved EDI – FAT – DED route.

I propose we configure our boing boing 999 aircraft in a 2 class config. – O(bese) & H(igh blood pressure) classes.

4 seats in O, and 400 in H.

My proposal for our inaugural menu would be:

Starters:

Chips

Mains:

Mars Bar a fritte
    Topic a fritte
    Chips
    Extra chips
    Testicle Tempura

~all the above may also be served in a white bread sandwich, with the following garnishes:

HP
    Tomato Sauce
    Mushy Peas ~

Dessert:

See above

Drink menu:

Irn Bru
    Special Brew
    Tennents
    Leffe

* The above selection of beverages may be served at seat, or alternatively, why not squat outside the galley and swear at passers – by? *

I am seeking only the most serious investors – I propose a minimum buy-in of 2 Mars Suppers+ scraps + 2 tins special brew.

I have reserved a few paving slabs outside Rapido Fish Bar
    77-79 Broughton St, Edinburgh, although first come, first beaten up applies.

Please let me have your responses by 5pm Friday, else Tam from Rapido will be really upset with me.

A.

Hess963
    Participant

Ah !! good you are still there and awake Simon. I was a bit worried that everybody has left me alone now. You know I was bit scary after what John Roberts commented earlier about “long dark nights.. and alone…” !!
    So you know well about Dutch foodies–my last fry food experience in the Netherlands was in a local market where there was a food stall selling any kinds of deep fried seafoods !!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Ann – that is absolutely wonderful!!

And followed off by a couple of pints at the Broughton Bar (if it’s still there) or Mather’s at the top of Broughton Street?

Simon

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Ann !! Yes I am seconding Simon–it is really great !!

I think for dessert: I prefer Belgian chocolate beer with scraps on it as extras !!

AnnChan
    Participant

Mathers is!

I was also thinking that if our clientelle were not happy with our chosen route, they could always go to HEL.

A.

Hess963
    Participant

Ha! Ha! Ha! But I think they will have problems ” going ” to HEL as it may cause some infarcts !!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hmmm….Helsinki.I lived there for a while.

Finnish cuisine is also “interesting” – I always had to avoid letting my young son know I was eating reindeer in case he thought it was Rudolf.

Off to bed now as I too have an early flight tomorrow – Swiss rom BHX to Sofia via Zurich.

Thanks for a great deal of amusement today. I think the thread is at number 3 of something in the Forum ‘hit parade.’ Well done all!

Simon

Hess963
    Participant

As I have mentioned before I love cold cuts–so it is not unusual that I also like reindeer meats–lovely goodies !! Yeah, should not tell the kids so straight about the origin of Finnish cold cuts !! Nobody wants any traumatised kids!!

Hey Simon, enjoy your trip to Sofia–tell us about your foodie adventures in Bulgaria–I think it is quite interesting for our UK taste buds ??

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Will do, Hess. I’ll also give you the gen on the flights and the hotels.

Never been to Switzerland or Bulgaria before, so will be interesting.

Just thinking aloud. I suppose the nearest we’ve ever had to a Scottish Airline was British Caledonian, Highland Express or Loganair (the latter still sort of going, of course). But at least they had three. What about Wales, has that ever had a ‘national’ carrier – the name Cambrian Airways seems to ring a bell.

But other parts of the UK have had regional carriers with quite a strong local identity at times:

Air Anglia – Eastern England

British Midland – originated at Castle Donnington (EMA) I believe

Brymon – Plymouth

Can we think of any others and also what regional food they might serve if they were still around today? The more amusing the better.

We’ve got to put this post to the top of the Forum charts – and a lot of people seem to be getting a laugh out of it.

Simon (I really am off to bed now! – you’ve got me drinking red wine too, Hess!)

Hess963
    Participant

I am settling down as well–the red wines have fogged my thinking now–feeling very drowsy!!!

Nighty night to all !! and for our Asian, Oz and NZ’ers –Good Morning!!

Hess–at the moment full of red wine mess !!

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

it is 2.15 am here in the El Al lounge at Ben Gurion airport as I wait for my 4am flight to Luton. How lucky am I? !!!

AnnChan, absolutely love your airline idea and I will be happy to become an investor with immediate effect, as long as your suggested menu is implemented and THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR SEAT SELECTION WHEN BOOKING.

I would also like to suggest some additions to the menu. Deep fried Chocolate Orange or Toblerone a la mode, or a la fritte. For those who do not like their food deep fried perhaps we could offer a flambe option.

I also suggest that we look at some long haul routes as well in order to allow more time for our passengers to enjoy the gourmet menu and excellent service that we will no doubt offer being a Scottish carrier.

What about an FFP for our airline? What should we call it, how many tiers should we have and could we be inventive about the benefits we would offer to members, particularly those who achieve the highest levels in the programme?

We really should try to fit ‘Tarantula’ into our marketing somewhere in honour of the arachnid that has taken on this wide and interesting culinary journey and given us all so much fun and amusement in this thread………………………so far!!!

I think that Hess should be retained to advise on the wine list, particularly the reds and that all the other posters on this thread should be offered the chance to buy shares in our company before we go public.

If it works, AnnChan, I can see bids for BA and or BMI at some time in the future.

More ideas please for what will clearly become a world beating airline.

Hess, I agree with Simon, you are a very naughty boy for bashing VK and Airpocket in this thread. Please do not do it again.

Finally, is anyone out there still awake or am I very much on my own at the moment?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 162 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls