Tarantulas on a Plane!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 162 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

Cip butty Hess, I love them. It certainly not a Northwest thing, we Southerner’s have them too, had them since I was a kid.

I remember reading, albeit back in the late 70’s in a promotional brochure from Singapore Airlines no less, that Bull’s Penis Soup is quite a special dish, although I never saw it when I was in Singapore.

Hess963
    Participant

Yeah!! Chip Butty–what a wonderful British thing !! Nice to know that Southeners know them and craved for them like we do here up North.

Are you pulling my leg?? SQ served Bull Penis Soup?? Is not SQ renowned for exquisite food?? And scarcely for daring soup à la testacles?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I saw them on a menu in Riga a while back. I can’t remember the arty-farty name they were given but, for the avoidance of doubt, it said in big letters below:

REAL BALLS!

I’ve also seen them on the menu in Shanghai.

Is it any stranger though, than, say Calfsbrain (Austria) or Witchety Grubs (Australia) or Cheese, Branston Pickle and Marmite sandwiches (my house)?

As for chip butties…..yes please. It also appears that tomato sauce on such delicacies is a southern UK thing, with brown sauce being a northern preference. The dividing line is, apparently, around Birmingham.

Yes, I too love this Forum for the valuable info we share with each other. Mind you, knowing us, we’ll soon be arguing over something….!!

NTarrant
    Participant

No not on SQ, it was a brochure about Singapore culture and food, but it was produced by SQ and the tourist board. It was red in colour but other than the dish which we all had a good laugh about at the time I can’t remember anything else about it.

NTarrant
    Participant

Definately Tomato ketchup on chip butties. I think you are right about the divide Simon. I suppose it is a bit like bacon sarnies, I prefer tomato ketchup yet they say HP is the supposed to be the stuff.

Actually had a bacon baguette at Sloe at Waterloo station the other day and was served tomato ketchup with it and all the staff were of Eastern European origin! How about Fruity sauce on sausage sarnies?

My wife and I did enjoy having beetroot in the salad sarnies and burgers in Alice Springs

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Ah, beetroot. Good choice. I think I’ve had them on burgers in several places in Europe (possibly Lithuania). Wish it would catch on here. A bugger to get the stain out if it falls off the burger and onto your white shirt, though.

Just remembered an occasion when I took my dear late father around the food market in Guangzhou. He was about 80 then and on his first trip to China. He looked at this basket of lovely tiny kittens and said “I didn’t think they had enough space in their flats for pets?”

I didn’t have the heart to disabuse him of the notion.

Hess963
    Participant

Yes , Simon within my family and friends-here up North- most of them do really prefer brown sauce or slightly with curry sauce like me. But I never thought Southeners prefer tomato sauce–interesting !!

About bacon sarnies–lovely chunk of goodies!! For me definitely with HP and not tomato sauce. Beetroot are good and healty–definitely recommend everyone to at least try it with their salads. I think beetroot soup originates from Eastern Europe-possibly Russia ??

Oh Simon!! Now I have stained my white shirt with coffee!! And laughing out loud now-that the other persons in the lounge are looking at me as I am the total abhorrence !! We know that Chinese have a very exotic taste regarding some delicacies–but that was really funny–I can’t stop laughing at the moment !!

Hess963
    Participant

Has anyone tried this new Vegemite Cheesymite from Oz??

I prefer pure Vegemite and plain on my toasties.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I cannot believe how much this thread has made me laugh as i have only just read through it. Very interesting to read as a born and bread Scotsman.

just to add some heart attack inducing options to the mix, i have to confess that as a student I tried deep fried ‘Milky Way’, ‘Picnic’ and ‘Bounty’!!! I have to say that none of them even came close to the ‘Mars Bar’

Can anyone add anything else completely off topic to this thread? And no, i never tried a deep fried ‘Topic” to all those of you old enough to remember that bar!!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Wasn’t the old joke:

Q – “:What’s got a hazlenut in every bite?”

A – “Squirrel sh*t!”

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Jonathan !!

Could you tell me–what is this thing about deep fried choc bars and Scots??
    Now you’re telling us you have tried four or more different kinds of choc bar deep fried!! Is there anything we–the rest of Britain– have missed ?? We might not that ” too fond for domestic pets like some Asian societies..” but the more some Scots share their experiences about this choc bar thing–I am realizing that I do not know Scots in general at all ??

Hess

AnnChan
    Participant

Great answer! I’ve had squirrel in Fukuoka, and it certainly was……

All this talk of BritFood makes me remember when I lived in Germany, how we requisitioned everyone coming to visit us to bring baked beans and tomato sauce (had to be Heinz). Dad is a Glasgwegian, so we had to have brown too.

So, I came to love my toasted baked bean sarnies, dipped in brown sauce.

Now top THAT! lol

Hess963
    Participant

Ann !!

That really sounds good! It really makes me crave for one!!

AnnChan
    Participant

I’m a Scot too – frae Embra.

Has anyone else ever asked for ‘scraps’ with their deep fried Mars bar supper? Heart-stoppingly (literally) good!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Aye Ann. It’s Embra that I’m referring to mostly. Easter Road.

If we can keep this thread going, we may beat “Upgrade After Boarding” as the most popular thread ever.

We should give it a go – at least this one’s funny and (so far) not contentious!!

Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 162 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls