Tarantulas on a Plane!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 162 total)

• JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Good evening everyone,

well, I must say I am very pleased that Jim’s idea has taken off anfd there seems to be a genuine desire to try and organise a get together for as many of us as possible.

As a Glaswegian were we to meet in Scotland, Jim would expect me to say that it should be in Glasgow!!! I will not however and Edinburgh would be fine with me.

Like other posters I would prefer an informal get together and AM STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE AT BT AS TO HOW THEY CAN HELP US MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Tom , please post as to whether or not your venerable publication can help us with this. Maybe we can get good rates from a hotel wherever we decide to get together?

On that subject, where would people like to meet up. I live in London but am certainly willing to travel a reasonable distance in order to meet as many of my fellow posters as possible.

So come on you lot out there, lets get our considerable collective brains together and make this excellent idea a reality as soon as is possible.

I can’t wait to hear from you all and to meeting you as well.

A great evening to all of you,

Cheers,

Jonathan

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi all,

“JoCo’s” absolutely on the ball here.I live in Warwickshire but, as anywhere is equally inconvenient to me, I’m happy to go with the majority.

The other question is “when?” With the approaching Festive Season, how’s about sometime in mid-January 2010? That would give us time to organise things and sort out a mutually convenient date.

VK – you’re being extremely quiet. Would you be prepared to come? It wouldn’t be the same without you (and I’m not being sarcastic).

Cheers, Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Jim – the Cafe Royal and the Guildford would be a good start, then we can nip into Rose Street and see how many of the posters are capable of doing the “run”!

Simon

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Oh god not the Rose St Run revisited. As a student at Heriot-Watt they used to do a mega version which extended all the way out back to the campus at Riccarton – the pub crawl equivalent of a tube map which includes those bits of the Metropolitan line at the top left. You got the 61 bus into town, felt sufficiently confident to start with a pre-match warmup at the Guildford / Cafe Royal, then realised that wasn’t the best leadership strategy half way along Rose St. Some of the big mechanical engineering lads could do the whole run and were still standing on Shandwick Place, there’s a bit with no pubs for about quarter of a mile where you could sober up (in relative terms) before the assault course of Haymarket. I don’t know anyone who made it past there, but a good place to RIP for the night. On which note I still can’t believe how they got away with demolishing the Caley Ale House to make way for a bloody tram stop – came out of the station one day to find it had just gone. Almost needed a drink…

When I was there some of the departments were still in the city centre and we were in the Grassmarket. About 15 of us were in this group which had a deal during exams, that the last of the group to leave the exam had to buy the round for the whole lot in The Last Drop opposite, which there was no way you could afford. A real case of mind over matter, to do just enough to pass without so much that you got stung. Not recommended! Worst case scenario was having to buy the big round then still failing it anyway. I failed both accounting and microbiology – I’ll explain the connection when we meet – in the name of saving money, which should actually have got me an honorary pass in the accounting.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Jim – I went to Heriot-Watt as well. Small world indeed.

Simon

NTarrant
    Participant

I have no preference, London, Heathrow, Glasgow, Edinburgh is fine. I agree that mid-January 2010 is probably best given the current time of year.

Perhaps BT would contact us all so we can contact each other without our email addresses going public.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Good idea, NT. I would have no objection to Tom sharing my email address with those who’ve expressed an interest in the get-together.

Jim – I was based in Lauriston Place and lived by the Hibs ground, so thankfully I never had a transport problem to/from the city centre. I did Town Planning there (at H-W) – it’s a great city.

Simon

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I am delighted to read that a small solid group of us want to get together and I am also in favour of mid Jan 2010. It would be good though to get a feel for how many posters really would be interested in joining such a gathering?

I am therefore wondering if the BT team couls email all the posters to see how many respond positively to a get together.

I realise there are important data protection issues but I would be happy for Tom to email everyone and then put those of us who want to get together in touch with each other. How do other people feel about that?

If BT cannot do it then I would be happy to provide people with an email address that we could use to co-ordinate the event.

Once again fellow posters please lets hear from as many of you as possible.

Cheers,

Jonathan

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I’m obviously in, Jonathan.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I really like the idea of meeting you all in Edinburgh or Glasgow or whatever place suitable. Why is Tom Otley not answeing to our request of helping us oranize this get-together and perhaps help us get a good rate for the accomodation?

Planing the meeting in Jan 2010 is good for me too. Although I will be based in Germany for the next 12 months–I won’t mind flying over to meet you blokes !!

Really excited to learn you all !!

Hess

Business Traveller replies:

Tom is currently taking a well earned week off (yes, even Tom gets to take a holiday every now and then). I will have a chat to him when he is back next week about this.

Mark Caswell

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Mark !!

Thanks for forwarding our request to Tom.

And thanks for getting W.Walsh to comment on certain issues which are highly debated here in this forum. Good work !!

Hess

As per the suggestion from JimBannerman1 (see other forum thread below), we have set up a Doodle Poll for everyone interested in this get together to let us know their preferred dates in January.

You have the choice of saying that you definitely can make a date, can make it at a push, or definitely can’t make a date. Please try to be as flexible as possible, and we’ll get back to you when enough people have responded. The venue has yet to be decided, but will almost certainly be in London for logistical reasons.

http://www.doodle.com/5xh3yxtgze8bnxx7

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BT-Forum-Posters-Get-Together

Hess963
    Participant

Dear Tarantula !

How is down there in BA’s ” F class”—No, I mean ” furtherdown class” Have not heard anything new from you recently. I do think your stories are better–we are talking about men who are wearing underwears—yeah, you are right–how interesting ! Nice journey and do not let anyone crushed you !

Hess

Hess963
    Participant

Hey Jonathan !!

Have not heard a lot of you lately—how was the weekend in Israel?

Hess

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 162 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls