Tarantulas on a Plane!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

An interesting tale from the Edinburgh Shuttle.

A passenger yesterday inbound to EDI reported a Tarantula was sighted crawling between his legs.

The Passenger seemed calm and credible, and although no other passenger saw a similar arachnid, the aircraft was grounded.

A fumigation crew was flown up from Gatwick, while passengers from the 0905 EDI-LHR were re-accommodated onto other flights.

Tarantulas can give a painful bite, but their venom is not normally fatal.

Airpocket
    Participant

The question is, was it a Scottish tarantula (tartantula??) or an English tarantula?

boxingclever

It was later found covered in Batter and deep fried !

Grandholmrobbo
    Participant

Hoy! Are you casting aspersions on my and my countrypeople’s eating habits?!!?
    You are quite right though, if they can deep fry a Mars Bar? Who knows what else.

Airpocket
    Participant

Having gone to university in Scotland and having lived there for another three years I never in all my time saw a single friend Mars Bar!I’m pretty convinced it’s an urban myth!Or, maybe it’s just a ‘Glasgae’ thing eh!

Grandholmrobbo
    Participant

Sadly it’s true, I did try it up here in Aberdeen once, I THINK it maybe originated up this way. You know how it is, the further north you go and all that, long dark nights…

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have watched colleagues indulge in deep fried Mars bars at the restaurant at the Hotel du Vin in Edinburgh. They are on the menu there.

Cut up into bite size chunks, and lightly frosted, they looked delicious.

Indigestion the next day was reportedly considerable…..

You can buy chocolate covered Scorpions at Fortnum’s.

boxingclever

From Tarantulas to Deep fried confectionary, via the Hotel du Vin , who would have thought it ? now thats what i call a forum .

Hess963
    Participant

I still can’t believe it !! I thought it was just some kind of a joke–when my friends I visited last time in Glasgow ordered this battered and fried mars bar. Till then I had the feeling they were pulling my leg–but now that you confirm this as a typical Scottish what ?? Delicacy ??
    I am still numbed here !!

Airpocket
    Participant

Lets not forget Irn Bru and haggis! Other popular Scottish delicacies!

Hess963
    Participant

Just a sec here !!
    Haggis is absolutely different than a chocolate bar fried in hot greasy fat. Blood sausages, Kidney pies or just meat dishes with entrails like kidney, liver etc. are not just good but they are real delicacies which often highlight the regional dish and customs of the people.

I know Haggis and tried it –it needs getting used to, if you don’t like the ingredients– but believe me it is really quite an experience.
    As I love blood sausages and cold cuts–just good and simple sausages and cold cuts from Germany, Austria and Switzerland !!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi all,

Congratulations for the best ‘deviation from topic’ on any thread in the history of the Forum! Also, one of the most entertaining. Keep up the good work!

If I may be permitted my two-penn’orth – I lived in Scotland for 7 years and can testify that deep-fried Mars Bars do exist, as do deep-fried Twix and Deep-fried Yorkie bars. Indeed, in Edinburgh, in one chippy I know on Easter Road, you can have a ‘Mars Bar Supper’ (i.e. with chips). The difficult decision is when the guy asks ‘Salt and sauce with that?’

Simon

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

Simon are you serious?? Mars Bar Supper?? Mars Bar with Chips !!
    OMG!! Well I could actually eat lard directly don’t I ? And the question with the sauce !! I know that British cuisine isn’t like Italian or French or Asian—but these descriptions over British eating habits–I believe most users and readers from Asia Pacific must be thinking how come Britain had achieved an Empire with such kinds of eating habits ??
    Well we aren’t perfect in this section of life. But we Brits try to give our best to cope with the rest of the world and start to live healty and more important learning to get some decent taste buds.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Yes, Hess, totally serious. It is a deep-fried Mars Bar, of course. I mean, it would be totally disgusting to have a normal one with chips, I agree.

As for British cuisine, I hear what you say. I would just add that we are talking specific ‘Scottish’ cuisine here. And before anyone leaps on any ethnic bandwagon, both of my maternal grandparents were Scots!

Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls