Tarantulas on a Plane!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 162 total)

• Hess963
    Participant

Ann–what is or are “scraps” ?

I think the Scots are awaken ?? But I hope there are still some other Brits around to give his/her experiences !! Others from the Continent are welcomed to share their ” foodies ” with us–isn’t that right blokes!!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Absolutely, Hess.

Just one minor technical point, dear boy – Ann isn’t a bloke!!!!!

Would love to hear other nationalities’ comments on the dire state of our cuisine…..

Simon

NTarrant
    Participant

Well Hess, my understanding of scraps are the bits of batter that the fish and chip shop swill out of the fryer and usually place beside the fryer and where they display the fish, pies etc.

Even us Southerners have them, although they are few and far between now adays.

And don’t forget the Belgians eat more chips than we in Britian do! Frogs legs anyone?

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Hess, it would seem that the deep fried chocolate bar thing is Scottish as i have not heard of any other nationality owning up to it.

also for the record I’m frae Glasgae just to give some balance to my fellow posters frae Embra.

Just a thought looking at todays chocolate bars and sweets. what about deep fried Wine Gums or fruit Pastilles. I am also thinking deep fried Dime Bar, Chocolate Orange, Kit Kat and kinder Surprise althought the surprise will be what happens to the ‘surprise’ if it were to be deep fried.

Come on you lot, lets have some other ideas for gourmet deep fried delicacies and maybe we can use the power of this forum to get one or two of our favourite carriers to have them onboard. Can you imagine a deep fat frier in the F or C galley on a plane with Fish Suppers in newspaper followed by a deep fried chocolate bar for dessert. YUM YUM !!!

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello again everyone,

I must go to bed now as I have to check-in at 2am for my 4am flight from Tel Aviv to Luton. Who said business travel is fun.

I look forward to reading your ideas for more deep fried gourmet treats when I get home tomorrow!!

Also your suggestions for which carriers would be most appropriate to add them to their menus?

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi NTarrant,

yes to the frogs legs but only if ……………………… you guessed it, they are deep fried!!!

Sorry to all but could not resist that.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Re N’s comments about french fries.

I remember being in the main square in Antwerp a few years ago, in a queue behind an elderly US couple at a “fritjes” stand (excellent Belgian chips).

When it came to their turn, the US gent politely asked for french fries with mayo. The stallholder went berzerk:

“These are Belgian fries. NOT French fries. They were invented here in Flanders, by the Belgians. You Amercians only call them French fries because you were here during the First World War and have so little knowledge of geography that you thought you were in France!!!” He then refused to serve them.

I felt SO sorry for the couple. A little harsh, I felt.

The stallholder then proceeded to throw the chip shovel back into the fryer with such force that the hot fat splashed out over his hand and burnt him. Very amusing for the detached observer.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Jonathan,

I know a great joke about a deep fat fryer. Far too long to post here, but is based around an obese monk who is heavily into philosophy.

Simon

NTarrant
    Participant

The Belgians can get quite tetchey about “war” things. I remember my wife and I had a holiday in Ostend (yeh, yeh okay it was 1979) and it rained! So we caught colds and went in to the local chemist to get the local version of Beechams Powders. There was a German couple in front of us and the chemist having finished serving another customer came straigh to us. We politely pointed to the Germans and said they were first. The chemist said “no they are not you were, what would you like”.

Interesting you mention about fish and chip suppers in newspaper in F & C Jonathan, there is a great Hale & Pace sketch showing “Yorkshire Airlines” and in econmy they get fish and chips and mushy peas served on paper in their laps and in F or rather Alan Bennett class, they get plates. I wish I still had the link

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

First Simon you are right–I forgot that Ann is not a bloke! I am sorry Ann no offence !! Must be these red wines which I am enjoying.

NTarrant thank you for the explanation!–now I know it. But those rests are not really good are not they?-I mean they are just batter and fat.
    About the frog legs–I tried them during my last trip in France-they were battered and fried as well. It tasted like chicken and definetly better than ” bull balls” from Valencia. It has not got any hairs–Upps sorry I do not mind to be cheeky( it is actually not my field of endeavour)–need to slow down with these red wines–just great taste !!

Hey Jonathan !! Well- I might assume that no other nationalities will contest the Scots for being the creator of this northern delicacy ! But please–do the Scots have to batter and fried everything sweet ??
    Regarding deep fried stuffs as onboard catering–has anyone thought about the smell of it in a cramped place like in a plane–we are finally sensible enough to ban smokers in the cabin–now we are going to smell like the fryer itself !! At least we can recyle the newspapers which were distributed earlier in the flight. I like fish n’ chip–but a deep fried dessert–how should it look like–the F/’A walk with a fondue pot full of hot lard down the aisle and the pax can dip his/her sweet bloc in to it !! What a lovely sight !!

Do you think that will be a standard catering option for flights to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen with BA, BMI ??

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi, N.

Yes, the Hale and Pace sketch was excellent. Greeting the passengers with “Eh up” as they boarded. Antimacassers and armchairs in Alan Bennett Class.

I’ll try to dig the link out. It may be on YouTube.

I also agree with you about the Belgians. The Dutch can be touchy too. And again, before any criticism, my wife’s Dutch!

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hess – I love the image of a tub of hot lard being brought down the aisle by a FA, with a choice of items to be deep-fried. Priceless.

Keep up the excellent work, folks.

VK – thanks for starting this thread (even if perhaps you didn’t realise what it would unleash!). Airpocket – thanks for your initial witty response, without which….(we’d all have gone to bed).

Simon

Hess963
    Participant

So we are talking about the touchy Belgians and Dutch now. No Belgians and Dutch users out there to say something ??

I just do not understand why Belgians have to brew bier with such disgusting ingredienst( chocolate bier etc..)–just keep it simple with the good old recipe of a decent bier !

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Nothing wrong with Belgium or Holland, Hess! Great countries. Belgian beer and food is amongst the best in Europe, if not the world (beer, anyway). Just a poor airport at BRU (sorry – that was dangerously close to going back on-topic).

Belgian food is excellent.One of the happiest nights (4 hours) I spent recently was sitting with a book, over a seven course meal, with wine and beer (different glasses), in a wonderful atelier restaurant in Antwerp city centre, at a cost of about €50. Couldn’t do that here in the UK.

As for their beer flavours, there’s plenty of choice so we can ignore the chocolate or cherry or raspberry ones (acquired taste, I believe). My ‘local’ bar when I’m in Hasselt (called De Hemmelweg – the Road to Heaven) has a menu with some 500 bottled beers on it. Better than my local here, which has the usual Interbrew rack of a choice of 5 types of flavourless muck. Ironically, I think that Interbrew may be Belgian owned…..

Simon

Hess963
    Participant

Hey what happened to VK and Airpocket ??

Why are not they commenting with us here–beside those which Simon has already mentioned ??
    Must be too fatty and sweet for their taste ?? Or is it too mundane for them!! At least we are all in a good mood and no one is bashed –yet ??

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 162 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls