Heathrow. ZERO Screening for Covid -19 on arrival

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 183 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-screensavers-are-the-only-signs-of-airport-life-in-flyings-new-normal-11982490

2 international airports with 2 very diverse protocols. Are they both right or is one wrong?

ASK1945
    Participant

GivingupBA
    Participant

MartynSinclair wrote, “………..the 18 million passengers who have come in since January 2020………”

Martyn, thank you but excuse me, are you sure 18 million passengers have “come in since January 2020”? I thought numbers had dropped a lot, and wondered where the “18 million” number comes from? Thank you very much!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=998302]Martyn, thank you but excuse me, are you sure 18 million passengers have “come in since January 2020”? I thought numbers had dropped a lot, and wondered where the “18 million” number comes from? Thank you very much![/quote]

@GivingupBA
    – the figure came from the Sky News report (second report down – linked to my post).

“Nearly 18.1 million people arrived in the UK from all destinations between 1 January and 23 March.”

1 user thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Thank you very much for your reply, Martin – that is very helpful.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Some extra thoughts from the CEO in our piece

New health screening being trialled at Heathrow

Holland-Kaye was also critical of the government’s lack of intervention in the aviation sector in the UK.

“I had a call last week with my opposite number at Paris Charles de Gaulle, who are our big competitor. And he mentioned that he speaks with his equivalent of the Transport Secretary every single day, because the Transport Secretary wants to know what is happening with aviation. And that’s a very different picture to what we see in the UK. It’s an indication of how the French and the Germans and the Americans and others see aviation as being fundamental to the success of their economies. They were the first to step in and make sure their aviation sectors would do well out of this.”

“We should remember that this is an economic competition between ourselves and our European friends. They are looking to out-manoeuvre the UK as we come through this crisis, economically. They want to have international aviation diverting through Charles de Gaulle and Frankfurt, not through Heathrow. That is their game. And if we don’t take the right steps here as the UK to protect the long-term success of our economy and part the aviation sector then we will be giving up a huge economic national advantage to our rivals in France and Germany.”

3 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=998313]And if we don’t take the right steps here as the UK to protect the long-term success of our economy and part the aviation sector then we will be giving up a huge economic national advantage to our rivals in France and Germany.”[/quote]

I’ll repeat myself, and hopefully fall short of a full blown rant ….

This Ghandiesque ostrich like approach to whats happening in our country is fast becoming farcical . Nero would have been proud of Bojo’s posse and Queen Nic’s clan.
    7 weeks in, and 18.1 m (that number surely can’t be right) untested wanderer’s later and our nookie craving experts still tinker about.
    Unnecessary focus on masks , and reducing capacity on public transport , and higher than average death rates in geriatric (clue) homes , and not forgetting the brilliant news of separately created apps in Scotland & the UK for us to voluntarily download.

Boris- get a pair of balls and actively get out there and find the infected people – because the 80% of us who are healthily stuck in our house whilst they go about their business are fed up !! Especially those of us, watching our livelihood getting flushed down the pan !!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=998316]7 weeks in, and 18.1 m (that number surely can’t be right)[/quote]

Canucklad – the 18.1 million according to the Sky News report refers to passengers arriving between 1st January and 23rd March (pre lockdown day). Since lockdown day, the numbers I believe will actually increase from 18.1 million.

UK appear to be slow off the blocks on both masks and border restrictions/checking, the mask U turn, all but made and looks like the border restrictions/checking about to be changed.

I really hope the people behind the scientific evidence got it right, because there must be a correlation between the country with the highest CV19 death rate (besides the USA) and the ONLY ‘major’ country that has retained an open and unrestricted border entry policy throughout this entire crisis (although I sure some will disagree).

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good to hear that Boris is planning to start removing restrictions from next Monday. Hopefully this will start to get people on the move again with flights steadily back up and running. Sounds like the changes at Heathrow are designed to facilitate this.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=998319]I really hope the people behind the scientific evidence got it right[/quote]

What I simply can’t get my head around is the differing scientific evidence is for the same virus , and this pap answer of “Following the Science” whenever anyone is challenged is wearing thin.
    Especially when some of it is ignored, others are dogmatically pursued at the expense of other advice and like lambs we’re pretty much told to be good little children and leave it to the adults.

My ire was raised when the head of First Bus correctly pointed out that social distancing on buses as the lock down is eased is simply not practical, from both a health and an economic point of view. He was quickly put back in his box, with the get out of jail card , “we’ll all need to get use to the new norm of social distancing and wearing masks all the time”

Well that means , increasing the fleet of buses by 3, putting up the fares exponentially, managing queues at bus stops etc.

In reality, what the new norm really means is….. People reverting to car commutes to avoid wearing masks, to avoid long queues and because ironically it would be cheaper ! Consequently bus & train staff get made redundant !

From a straw poll of my friends and colleagues (sorry unscientific)they’re sick to the teeth of politicians and their medical mouth pieces cramming the “we’ve lost the battle , get used to it ” message down our throats !

I’m all for doing my bit, but after 6 months of this I don’t want to be an anti-social individual whose had my civil liberties stripped because the people who lead us have lost touch with how people are really feeling !

2 users thanked author for this post.

Stevebali
    Participant

So what we going to do, hide from a virus? We’ve been on this planet millions years and unless we all get Gates vaccines, will be here for a few more. You can’t hide from a virus, well done BA

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=998322]My ire was raised when the head of First Bus correctly pointed out that social distancing on buses as the lock down is eased is simply not practical, from both a health and an economic point of view. He was quickly put back in his box, with the get out of jail card , “we’ll all need to get use to the new norm of social distancing and wearing masks all the time”

Well that means , increasing the fleet of buses by 3, putting up the fares exponentially, managing queues at bus stops etc.[/quote]

The penny is starting to drop, clearly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52645366

The Government can promote this all they like, introduce non-enforcable quarantine guidelines etc but those people banging on about “something must be done” will I’m afraid get swept away in the real world of life.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=998685]The Government can promote this all they like, introduce non-enforcable quarantine guidelines etc but those people banging on about “something must be done” will I’m afraid get swept away in the real world of life.[/quote].

Sadly now over 31,000 victims have been “swept away”.

“In the real world of life” What ever the Government recommends, should be enforceable & what is the point of creating anything unenforceable? If the police cant control the rules, then bring in the army to assist.

For anyone still unsure about ‘the real world of life’ nature of this illness, check out last nights documentary on BBC2, which followed the fate of 5 people in 2 London hospitals, filmed probably in April.One victim who passing was documented, was a well known in my area of London and quite frankly the documentary shocked me. To see one of the Dr’s (a Professor) in tears after speaking to the wife of another victim (who has so far survived) was equally shocking.

cwoodward
    Participant

We sent our youngest my son to relatives in Canada (we live in HK) at the end of January because we believed that in the short term he would be safer there.
    He returned to HK today on a (full) A350 Cathay flight arriving this morning at 5am.
    He was isolated at the airport and sent to a large nearby testing station on a closed bus.
    He is Hong Kong born yet needed to spend 8 hours in the strict quarantine facility close to the airport being tested. Fortunately he was deemed not to have the virus.
    We collected him after the 8 hours that the process took.
    He is now home quarantined for 14 days and fitted with a device that monitors his every movement – he cannot leave the house and is and is more or less confined to his room with he and everyone in our household needing to take stringent non contact measures.

What has been put in place in the UK is just utter nonsense – here in HK we have almost eliminated the virus threat,this in a very densely populated area with a population of 7.8 million.
    My home country is I fear about to become a long term disaster area – for no good reason or any lack of resources.

The efforts made in the UK are nothing short of b….y pathic and it makes me very cross.

7 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls