Heathrow. ZERO Screening for Covid -19 on arrival

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 183 total)

• JETHROTULL55
    Participant

In the midst of the most severe lockdown in the UK, where we are urged to social distance , remain at home except in emergencies or for essential travel etc the PHE guidelines for Arrivals at Heathrow are woefully inadequate.
    Flights arrive daily from New York ,Moscow, Los Angeles, Chicago to name a few.. Passengers on arrival walk straight through – NO testing NO quarantine requirements ..NOTHING! It’s Insane .
    While the general public are doing their utmost to comply with the stringent restrictions, all their best efforts are being undermined by thousands of passengers from High Risk areas simply arriving without restriction. What sort of Government have we that ignores this situation?
    It is little wonder that London has been a hot spot for COVID-19.

4 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Jethrotull55 – this subject is already being discussed at length in another current thread – “BA cabin crew contract coronavirus on long haul flights”

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

From the numerous interviews that have come across our screens, whatever the platform, there is a chasm of real knowledge between the medical and scientific personnel and the army of armchair experts. Again many of the media, who of course have all the answers, seem hell bent on trying to “catch out” the interviewee , usually a minister, but for what purpose?.They demonstrate in my opinion a dreadfull level of ignorance to score points. Of the many medical and scientific spokespeople intervieweed they have come across measured and authoritiative notably Sir James Farrer who was on The Andrew Marr Show on Sunday and a Viriologist from Cambridge Uninversity whose name I didn´t catch. Everyone inevitably has an opinion but the time for mindless criticism is after this virus is on the run and and like the SAS and SEALS who conduct an “After Action Review” that is the time to look at how things would have been handled differently. When something like this virus occurs that is described as unprecedented it is inevitable that mistakes will occur. I for one am happy to be guided by the real experts.

5 users thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

I am not expert but what has been apparent from the out set of the pandemic has been that testing and tracing has proved to be a very effective method of limiting the impact the virus.

It has been surprising to me that there has been no checks at LHR from an early stage and for there to be none still seems bizarre. There has now been a tragic death of a Border Force officer and claims that Border force are not allowed to wear masks as these could be off putting. Proving PPE only when you are dealing with someone with symptoms is probably too late.

There must be a Royal Commission post this event to look at why the UK was so unprepared and why, if true, governments over the last decade ignored pandemic despite it being the number 1 risk on the national risk register.

3 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=996105][/postquote]

I’m not sure that the UK is alone in being, as you describe it “unprepared”.

A close friend is the most senior clinician in NYC’s largest public hospital. He tells me the level of preparedness for this was +/- nil. Woefully chaotic, shambolic and totally lacking in planning and co-ordination. He is not normally prone to exaggeration.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996111][/postquote]

Indeed the lack of preparation will certainly need close scrutiny in the final reckoning. Perhaps the austerity policy of Cameron, Osborne, May and co will start to show some fairly austere results.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

The word ‘accountable’ needs to be utilised in peoples’ job descriptions.

To have the U.K. population in lockdown, whilst ‘free entry’ is permitted into U.K. airports and ports is ludicrous.

I don’t know where the jurisdiction lies, but U.K. Border Force & Public Health England need serious review.

stevescoots
    Participant

In my area (Lincs) they are flying in a charter flight from Romania to work in the fields. Of course, none will be tested, none will go into self-isolation for several days and they will all live in HMOs or 8 berth caravans.
    There is no shortage of experienced land workers here This is nothing to do with locals or other migrant workers being lazy. Judging from comments from other migrants from Poland Baltics that live and work in the region they are being flown in because they will work for absolute min. This is greed pure and simple by the big food producers. I will add that going into my town centre the primary group who are ignoring social distancing and constantly being reminded by the police are from Romania

capetonianm
    Participant

I find it bizarre and disturbing that given the growing number of unemployed people already in the UK, it is deemed necessary to ship in people from Romania, and at that, people from the lowest levels of society, with all the risks that such an action entails.

I am by no means anti-Romanian, but I voted Brexit in the hope that one of the benefits would be that the UK could choose the quality of EU citizens it accepted as immigrants, and not have to import those from the lower echelons of society.

Here is a case where people already legally resident in the UK should be given these jobs and paid minimum wage. If they don’t like it, tough, then cut off their benefits.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=996146][/postquote]

Can you provide a link to where we can read about this?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52293061

capetonianm
    Participant

Can you provide a link to where we can read about this?

Also it was on BBC news this this morning.

capetonianm
    Participant
    This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.
    I find it bizarre and disturbing that given the growing number of………….

Oh shame, I seem to have upset some anonymous person who hasn’t got the courage to come out say why my reply is ‘inappropriate’.
    I will be sleeping as soundly tonight as I always do.

5 users thanked author for this post.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Crazy situation…Arrive at Heathrow…welcome to britain…no checks…dont worry…then off home…Jump on the “dilly” line infect what 10-20 others…dont worry…Arrive North London…Mini cab…home …thats the cabbie dealt with….hope he dosnt have a family..Back to the house a quick pint in our local spoons..(before lockdown) …its packed ..Shove your way to the bar…pint please …another one infected..Hey where have you been…mm…another half a dozen innocents…and thats before you pick up a greasy Kebab in the local late night takaway…3-4-5…but dont worry ..a good nights sleep waits for you…What will tomorrow bring…?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8229079/15-000-people-day-flying-UK-without-coronavirus-tests.html

So I have my answer, Matt Hancock says “there is no need as any impact on the outbreak will be ‘very small'”

But, there is mo mention of the risk of a passenger possibly infecting someone else on their way through the airport and travelling to get to a home.

Gordon Ramsey (love or hate him) is getting some really bad press for travelling to his second home in Devon, indeed people are being told NOT to travel to second homes. Yet up to 15,000 passengers a day are streaming into the country and going somewhere, all unchecked. The risk must be the same, irrespective of where they are going.

As for flying migrant workers into the UK on a series of private flight, heard yesterday a farmer on Sky News describing fruit pickers as ‘Skilled Workers’.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8227101/Plane-carrying-150-fruit-veg-pickers-Romania-lands-Stansted.html

ALL UNCHECKED….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls