Heathrow. ZERO Screening for Covid -19 on arrival

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 163 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8229079/15-000-people-day-flying-UK-without-coronavirus-tests.html

So I have my answer, Matt Hancock says “there is no need as any impact on the outbreak will be ‘very small'”

But, there is mo mention of the risk of a passenger possibly infecting someone else on their way through the airport and travelling to get to a home.

Gordon Ramsey (love or hate him) is getting some really bad press for travelling to his second home in Devon, indeed people are being told NOT to travel to second homes. Yet up to 15,000 passengers a day are streaming into the country and going somewhere, all unchecked. The risk must be the same, irrespective of where they are going.

As for flying migrant workers into the UK on a series of private flight, heard yesterday a farmer on Sky News describing fruit pickers as ‘Skilled Workers’.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8227101/Plane-carrying-150-fruit-veg-pickers-Romania-lands-Stansted.html

ALL UNCHECKED….

You had your answer days ago Martyn, as you know, because the explanation has been on Heathrow’s website for about 3 weeks.

Ramsay always has been a bit of an irritant, and of course the CMO of Scotland was forced to resign for same thing.

Re the crop pickers….difficult one really. Clearly the risks were assessed, as they were all tested before leaving Romania and observed social distancing at Stansted. And since the farms are thousands of crop pickers short if the crops are to be harvested, what would you suggest here?

capetonianm
    Participant

And since the farms are thousands of crop pickers short if the crops are to be harvested, what would you suggest here?

people already legally resident in the UK should be given these jobs and paid minimum wage. If they don’t like it, tough, then cut off their benefits.

As per my ‘inappropriate’ response 996158. Nothing difficult about that, is there?

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

And since the farms are thousands of crop pickers short if the crops are to be harvested, what would you suggest here?

people already legally resident in the UK should be given these jobs and paid minimum wage. If they don’t like it, tough, then cut off their benefits.

As per my ‘inappropriate’ response 996158. Nothing difficult about that, is there?

In different times, I agree. However the current ‘stay at home’ campaign is probably not helping, I’m not sure how you can tell people to stay at home whilst forcing them to work.

In fact one of my kids decided to apply through Concordia for some farming work, the whole thing was such as hassle with one way video interviews etc that he gave up and went elsewhere.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Purely as an observation (like most on here, I am not CID 19 qualified):

On the one hand we are being told not to travel unnecessarily and social distance because of the risk of spreading the virus. This means (or so I am told) that even though playing a round of golf is perfectly safe, its the travelling to the golf course or the beach or the park bench or second home that is the risky part, the virus also likes to travel and if somebody travelling has it, it spreads and more people become infected.

Up to 15,000 people arriving daily at Heathrow, migrant workers being flown into Stansted, with no medical checks and being allowed to disperse to any part of the country they wish, clearly sends a different message to people already in situ in the UK, who also wish to travel.

I can understand why some people choose to ignore lockdown when they see the the Government allowing people to enter the UK with no concern whether they are infected or not or the consequences of an infected person perhaps spreading the virus.

I would like to see our borders closed (apart from essential cargo flights). If Tescos has a shortage of berries this year, that is the least of our worries. Frozen berries make a good substitute in the interim.

SimonS1
    Participant

Also as an observation (as I am not medically qualified either):

Whilst I get frustrated at being indoors when I would rather be travelling or playing golf I understand sacrifices have to be made to minimise incidents including the risk of travel however small in order to reduce strain on emergency services.

I see people still arriving through the airports but appreciate that many of these are fellow Brits caught out abroad who want to get home to their families. I accept that in most cases risk management like screening has taken place before boarding and that Heathrow have taken professional advice on what measures are effective. Personally I recognise that these decisions are based on medical and scientific advice from professionals rather than pandering to the views of the many armchair experts on Facebook and the forums whose combined medical and scientific qualifications would probably leave blank space on the back of a postage stamp.

Personally I would like to see border controls in place but prefer that these controls are informed rather than blanket bans.

I understand the frustration caused by the arrival of migrant workers but also understand the need to get crops out the ground. Whilst a small increase in the price of fruit and vegetables might not affect me personally I understand that there are many people living on or below minimum wages who would feel the pain and that there is more to life than taking the selfish view.

MarkCymru
    Participant

How would you suggest testing?

Would you use scarce antigen testing capacity on every arriving passenger? This is the test that we have that looks for evidence of current infection. It requires trained staff to swab the person being tested and then a lab test. What would you suggest the passengers do while awaiting the results (at a minimum a day)? Wouldn’t you rather use this capacity to test NHS staff and those with symptoms of illness?

Maybe you’d like to check for a temperature and signs of symptomatic disease as many Asian countries do. The problem is that a person is shedding virus for a long time before they show symptoms. Most of those with a fever or a cough won’t have COVID-19 and you can’t tell which do or don’t for at least a day after you test for antigen (see above). In reality, these temperature checks are just another form of security theatre unless you’re willing to confine and isolate every passenger with a fever, which the authorities do not have a legal right to do. Many women see a temperature increase of 1 degree C during part of their menstrual cycle so, be ready to start confining lots of people if you change the law.

Or would you like to use the antibody tests that look for signs of past infection? If they were reliable (the ones tested so far in the UK aren’t), they would tell you who had had the disease in the past. But, this is useless unless you have a policy of only admitting people with sufficient titres (levels) of antibodies. It also seems to take several weeks after infection for antibodies to develop. And we don’t know what level of antibodies offers protection or for how long.

In general, I loathe and distrust the current British government. On this, they happen to be right, which I find upsetting

MarcusGB
    Participant

As a person who is a Director of Health Care services, and also having travelled Worldwide, i was shocked even at the beginning of March to arrive at LHR to find absultely no preventative measures in place.
    (I commented on this in my Thread “Coronavirus the impact on travel”)
    It did stand and watch, roughly only 5% of passengers even used the hand gel sanitisers and this was 6 weeks ago.

Travelling to Australia via Asia In January 20, on arrival Temperatures were all check by Nurses and Military standing by, and having a Temp 37.6 C +, is an indication of infection, as would be a high protein reading from a simple urine sample, using a diagnostic stick. No signs at LHR then about the virus, or the availability or use of the gel dispensers.
    I found it quite shocking, having travelled out in January through Asia, and then onto Australia, who in retrospect, were well in front of us in the outbreak.
    Even in the hotels in KUL at that time, i stayed at the Mandarin Oriental, beginning of Chinese New Year, and all was empty, but notices and staff insisting ALL people entering the building sanitised their hands.

Arriving in Sydney, passports were checked with a mix of E machine readers and Manually, plus each passenger asked about routing, stopovers. Then they rapidly introduced a blunt “No Entry” from China, and various other countries.
    As in many threads here within the Forum, the UK Government has done nothing to prevent the spread, quite clearly around The World by travelling, (look at all the major hubs with outbreaks), and we have allowed the importation of this virus undoubtedly at times.
    We could even have tried with signage, people being asked to use sanitisers, and an educational and awareness role, but Nothing.
    But Hey, all this costs money, and the Airport is a private profit making business, so just like not having enough snow ploughs, they would be reluctant to have put money into these measures.

When travelling slowly begins to start up again, there will probably be Mandatory procedures, safeguards, and even documentation to fly, that LHR will have to follow. But even then, it maybe the Airline or your arrival destination who we will find have far stricter arrival and departure procedures.
    There are clear medical indicators of unwell people travelling that could have been picked up,(even without symptoms or a test) but LHR did not even bother to ask people to improve their Personal hygiene, or raise awareness, when around The World everyone else was.
    Let us not forget, we all pay a charge to use the Airport, we pay about £15 to go through Security alone at least! Instead of the usual staff shouting and being patronising about how to use an E Gate, they should have been asking people to sanitise their hands, raised awareness, and the UK’s actions, when they arrived

To see LHR behaving in the manner that is has, is no surprise to me, it reflects not even common sense, let alone concern from the owners, and reflects extremely poorly on The Government, to simply control borders on an Island Nation.
    Our country was left open to allow the import of the virus, impressed a lack of concern at LHR by Government and the Owners. This is shameful when you compare other Airports around The World. It was brought in primarily through travel, and LHR failed, they left the gates wide open.
    I firmly believe the borders not being checked properly, including by Air at LHR, was one of the major factors in the worse outbreak here. And we left these breaches for weeks….we still do?!!!!
    Grossly irresponsible by the Management at LHR and The Government.

4 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

As far as I understand, no airports are actually testing for COVID-19, they are simply taking medical statements and doing temperature and other observational checks (best not to cough while you are in the queue for passport control). I realise it seems to provide a level of comfort, that people are being checked, but I am doubtful about the actual value. Even if they did have a temperature or a cough, is the suggestion they should be put back on the plane? (if the airline has a return flight scheduled at all). And obviously the majority now are British citizens so you cannot simply refuse them entry – infected or not.

Of much more value, is to ensure that you know where people are going and where they will be staying. But as we have neither the infrastructure, or the tradition, to require people to state or register their address, that would be a major change of policy and procedure.

Maybe having someone with a temperature ‘gun’ at immigration could be of some use and comfort, but I think it would be largely window dressing.

3 users thanked author for this post.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

HKG are testing for COVID 19 on all arrivals from the US, Europe and the UK. Arriving passengers are taken to Asiaworld Expo (nearby) where the tests are carried out. Results take 8 hours, and passengers have to wait until the results are known

ASK1945
    Participant

HKG are testing for COVID 19 on all arrivals from the US, Europe and the UK. Arriving passengers are taken to Asiaworld Expo (nearby) where the tests are carried out. Results take 8 hours, and passengers have to wait until the results are known

……………….. what happens to those who are found to be positive?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

When the UK remains in lockdown, I’m curious to know why anyone finds it essential to travel London to HKG.

As there are still daily flights LHR to HKG, surely these are not ‘repatriation flights’… rather standard scheduled flights…

SimonS1
    Participant

When the UK remains in lockdown, I’m curious to know why anyone finds it essential to travel London to HKG.

As there are still daily flights LHR to HKG, surely these are not ‘repatriation flights’… rather standard scheduled flights…

Well for a start there were 15,000 Hong Kong students in the UK, many of whom have been trying to get home to families due to UK universities closing.

Add to that other people from HK, or perhaps UK nationals with residence/families there and the numbers start to increase further.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Seems our continual open border policy remains in the minority around the world. I know this comes from the Daily Mail, but it is factually correct and I find it extremely concerning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8233875/How-private-jets-flying-hundreds-passengers-coronavirus-hotspots-UK.html

As for Uni students, weren’t halls of residence remaining open.

Like many countries, Vietnam has closed it’s borders to non Vietnamese nationals. I know many Vietnamese residents who are now stuck in the UK and unable to reach their homes and families. Indeed a Forum member has said he is unable to get back to his home and business in China, so he is making the most of staying in the UK.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

ASK1945 – 3 options are currently available depending on what is found, typically hospital admission or mandatory quarantine in a government facility, otherwise home quarantine for returning passengers

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

ASK1945 – 3 options are currently available depending on what is found, typically hospital admission or mandatory quarantine in a government facility, otherwise home quarantine for returning passengers

Thanks David.

Presumably all passengers flying into HK then are returning residents as I can’t believe someone going for business, or vacation, or transit, will want to take a chance of being placed into a government facility for 14 days unless (of course) they are sure that they are virus-free.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 163 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls