Heathrow. ZERO Screening for Covid -19 on arrival

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003866]The most problematic part is getting back to UK as there is still the 14 day isolation requirement, clearly not enforced.[/quote]

Sadly and worryingly – I do not think there is an easier country to enter than the UK….

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“The home secretary has admitted that she does not know how many people coming into the UK have coronavirus.”

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-home-secretary-priti-patel-admits-she-doesnt-know-how-many-people-with-covid-19-are-entering-uk-12029153

Not a particularly Priti admission! Shame nothing has been done to stem the flow, except increase the number of arrivals… although I am sure some posters on here will still argue that our open border has nothing to do (even in part) with the UK’s alarmingly high death rate.

SimonS1
    Participant

Well the article does refer to 50,000 people a day entering UK and a best estimate of 0.5%. So probably not worth getting too exercised about.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003921]Well the article does refer to 50,000 people a day entering UK and a best estimate of 0.5%. So probably not worth getting too exercised about.[/quote]

I guess you are right Simon. Perhaps ca. 250 people a day entering the UK with the virus for around 100 days + … possibly ca. 30,000 additional infected people … which of course could continue for some time yet… no worries – only a few extra people could die..

Back in the real world, the admission by the home secretary confirms the number is an unknown. May be zero entering the country, may be 2%… but no worries, everything is under control.

No wonder the rest of the world (outside of the holiday destinations) are making it difficult for the UK to travel…

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1003923]Back in the real world, the admission by the home secretary confirms the number is an unknown. May be zero entering the country, may be 2%… but no worries, everything is under control.[/quote]

But the article doesn’t say the number is an unknown.

It just says she persinally didn’t know but the figure was “held centrally elsewhere in government with the Department of Health and Public Health England” and she would find out.

Also quotes the chief scientific adviser as being confident the figure was not above 0.5%, so if you think it could be 2% you have access to different info. Or perhaps just a different agenda…..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ms Patel denied she had never asked for the information, and then said the latest estimate was 0.5% of travellers.

an unknown number remains an estimate.

But for the sake of discussion, take 0.5% = 250 p day = 30,000+ over the course of the pandemic thus far. It’s still a hell of a number of people to blindly let into the UK that have the potential to infect others …..

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003928][/postquote]

She said the number was held elsewhere in Government, not that the number was unknown.

Not ideal, of course, but at worst that would be 10% of total infections. So probably not that high up the priority list when weighed up with many other factors including the possible collapse of the economy.

Still I see Boris has announced a public enquiry will be held, so I’m sure we will find out whether a strategy of shutting down airports, airlines and borders would have made a huge difference.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003929]but at worst that would be 10% of total infections. So probably not that high up the priority list[/quote]

I would have thought 10% of all infections coming in unchecked through our borders is significant, clearly you think otherwise.

[quote quote=1003929]I’m sure we will find out whether a strategy of shutting down airports, airlines and borders would have made a huge difference.[/quote]

I believe the concern was NOT shutting down airports, airlines and borders (the rest of the world have ensured that, apart from European holiday traffic) but to monitor and check what and who comes in to the UK.

10% of infections that may/could have been avoided – tell that to the victims….

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1003923]No wonder the rest of the world (outside of the holiday destinations) are making it difficult for the UK to travel…[/quote]

If you overlay the change curve model onto the decision making process of our various decision makers , it’s almost possible to plot their names and countries they’re in charge of…..

As a critic of some of Nicola’s decision making I’d have to say now that we’ve come this far, lets not blow it now. For me, the greatest risk to this success is not properly tracing and more importantly enforcing leisure travellers from Scotland who are trying to avoid our more draconian approach to Spain .

Many friends are heading back to favoured resorts via English airports , in the mistaken belief that they can avoid 14 days enforced quarantine on their return. It’s this bitty approach that at UK level allows people to approach travel from the selfish point of exploiting loopholes rather than clear messages around risk.

As an aside, a daft piece of advice to the government…pause taxation on cigarettes !!

IMO, the world needs to act as one and quickly …. Globally agreeing no go zones for business and leisure . Rather than placating the Trumpet across the pond, it should be declared an absolute no go zone, no flights at all . Otherwise the global community (our small world) will continue to risk having to regress to house arrest and masks forevermore.

canucklad
    Participant

just commented on Norwegians decision not to recommence flights from LGW to the US
    Had a wee look at what flights are still operating to he US ….

all these flights arrived or due to arrive before midday — I’m aghast !!

Chicago, JFK, Dulles, Newark, JFK, Dallas, JFK, Chicago, JFK, Chicago, JFK, Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Miami, Dulles, Chicago, LAX,

Not forgetting —— Sao Paulo. Mumbai

SimonS1
    Participant

Not sure where you are getting your info but I suspect you have fallen for the old code share trick.

As far as I’m aware there are still only 2 JFK a day, one each on BA and AA.

AnthonyConstantinou
    Participant

Nowadays its good to follow the government healthcare guidelines no matter what we do, where we go and where we live. What matters the most is our and other life. Social distancing, regular hand-washing, preventive mask all these things are important in COVID-19

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1004146]Not sure where you are getting your info but I suspect you have fallen for the old code share trick.[/quote]

Hi Simon, definitely didn’t fall in to the trap, made sure I didn’t include code share flights …

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004232][/postquote]

Well the info isn’t right, there are currently two flights a day from JFK to London. Check the Heathrow arrivals board.

canucklad
    Participant

So far this morning …..from JFK alone

BA112 landed at 6.30
    VS688 landed at 7.09
    AA106 landed at 7.40
    BA114 landed at 8.20
    BA172 landed at 8.35

Won’t list the other 18 flights originating in various US hot spots that have also landed this morning or 2 currently en-route from California

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls