Numerous complaints…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

2 days in Prague and I miss all the fun!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I do hope now that Graham is online, the offending personal attack referenced above can be removed.

What I would like to know is who makes these numerous complaints? Are they regular posters? I do believe that we can sort this out ourselves without major intervention by moderators.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Certainly not me; I’ve only emailed Tom directly once in the past two months.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’m going to deal with this. From looking at the IP addresses over the last day or so I can now see all the duplicate accounts that have been created on the forum and the individuals behind a lot of the arguments on here – going back many years – handles that mysteriously stopped publishing after thousands of posts, then new ones that came onboard, sometimes overlapping but then posting many hundreds or thousands of posts in similar style.

In one sense it will be a shame to lose some of you, but from another point of view, many of the posts are just arguments and without it all the forum will be quieter, calmer, and probably (I hope) more useful for the majority. I hope to action this today, but I’m working with our developer to work out a few matters to try and minimise the disruption to the majority of you.
    Tom Otley

VintageKrug
    Participant

Thank you, Tom.

Your patience on this has been commendable; Since 2008, when I first posted here, I have never posted using duplicate handles on this forum (apart from creating two VK-esque handles on Saturday to avoid them being corrupted by others who make a habit of using multiple identities).

Some of these handles were a direct reference to me from the get-go; “Henkel.Trocken” being a cheap German sparkling wine, no doubt a purposeful counterpoint to my more refined – and genuine – champagne handle.

If HT decides to remove himself from the forum prior to being exposed, that is his decision.

It is clear that many of the Usual Suspects out to cause trouble have used duplicates, all the while accusing me of being the one with multiple handles.

We can only pity those who have so little in their lives that they have to play these sorts of online games.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I would just like to add a few thoughts to this thread.

Many posters have collectively identified that one poster who now I note has posts almost totaling 8000 seems to be the source of most of the trouble posting the same old rhetoric day in and day out with little or no objective evidence to back up his claims.

In the past I have grown tired of his abuse directed at me and others and stopped reading the board or indeed the wider magazine. Regardless the abuse continues to be directed at one and all who do not share his views or heaven forbid differ from his opinions and dare to present evidence and arguments that demonstrate he is wrong.

That same poster used to post on FlyerTalk and was banned for very much the same sort of behavior. If anyone doubts that just post on the BA board and watch the reaction.

Now, there is far more to my life than this forum which I do try to make a decent contribution to when I know something. I am however sick and tired of personalised abuse which comes regularly from one poster.

It is not for me to set the rules or standards here but I can opt in and opt out. So, that said, I’m being very clear; if the poster in question is to continue to post after the ‘weeding’ has been completed I will be saying goodbye permanently. I really have much more to do with my life than wade through the nonsense he posts coupled with abuse if you contradict him.

IMO the board would be a much richer place without him and will be much poorer if he remains. That has been demonstrated at times in the past when he has been absent for albeit too brief periods of time.

Now I expect a torrent of abuse from the usual quarter.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

@ Henkel.Trocken – 19/06/2013 12:21 GMT

+1

I’d already decided that by this coming Monday, should the biggest and most infectious weed still be in the garden, I too would elect to remove myself from any further interaction on the BT Forum.

This would be for no other reason than the quality of discussions and general feel of the board will always be brought to an unacceptable standard by the poster known as “VintageKrug”.

Regards.
    AOTG.

Bullfrog
    Participant

@ Henkel.Trocken – 19/06/2013 12:21 GMT

+2

For the benefit of the vast majority, ‘just take this weed with a pinch of salt’ when the ranting begins. Surely we can all be intelligent enough to just ignore the opinions that are served ‘through rose tinted spectacles’.

The contributions to the forum by the vast majority outweighs the irritating rants of the weed, and surely Tom Otley should deal accordingly.

‘Ban the weed’.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It is of course totally within anyone’s power to remove themselves from the forum, and many have done so.
    If anyone has any doubts about how to go about it, please feel free to email us at the email address found by clicking on “Contact” on the top Nav bar of the website (the enquiries email is the most appropriate one).

Communipaw
    Participant

The IP blocking cannot start soon enough to suit me. Some of these whining posts are way over the top.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It has started.

If you insult anyone. I will delete it.

If you do it again, I will block all the IP addresses linked to your account, home, work, and probably unintentionally a few airport lounges as well.

I will keep doing this until either everyone keeps their posts to business travel, or there’s no one left.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Administrator @ 17.08 – thank you.

Since I started reading and posting on this forum I have benefited – I now have one more gold card that I would not otherwise have had, and also have saved ~£2000 on fares over the last year – and I have also learned a great deal about technical issues that interest me, learning mostly from posts by flight and cabin crew.

However, I also left the forum for a while as a consequence of a piece of egregious rudeness that I found totally unacceptable.

If you get the clean-up right, the forum will continue to be useful and it will cease to be an ill-mannered children’s playground.

Incidentally, I wonder how and why some people manage to post so much. I am actually rather busy doing the thing called “business travel”.

Well done Tom. I’m sure you have enough on your hands as it is.

Hopefully we will see immediate results.

Communipaw
    Participant

SiteAdministrator – 19/06/2013 17:08 GMT

Thank you Mr. Administrator. Those of us who come here for the purpose of travel-related information appreciate it very much.

Weed out the posting trolls!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls