Numerous complaints…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Sorry to put my two pennies in on this subject, but I believe part of the blame is with the Site Administrators i.e. BT who are trying to balance advertising revenue verses IP for Forum contributors.

The only way to resolve these issues is to make this a secure group and for BT to be made aware of exactly who everyone is (even if handles are used).

The Forum may be able to lose FDoS, Papillon, Ian (Hong Kong), Flying Chinaman and more – BUT THE POSTERS DONT WANT THEM TO GO…..

Tom, if this Forum is to continue then please find the budget to make this more secure, even if the advertises have to chip in.

FDoS contributes in a very positive manner and the Forum should not be losing his valuable contributions.

Vintage Krug also provides valuable information, but needs to stop winding most of the posters up!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi LP

I just checked with my client and they didn’t on this occasion use any of the recommendations (Typical!!). But he did thank me for getting them – so thank you – and I have kept the email as I have had people go there in the past and always nice to be able to offer extra’s or incite as an agent that most agents don’t bother with.

Feel free to ask me anything anytime – might not have the answer though.

Papillion53
    Participant

MS – have you not noticed I am still here! My “leaving” was so last week!!! 😉 🙂

Anyway, I agree with what you’ve said MS – much as FDoS and I have had some sparring on here, the last thing I would want is him to leave – or anyone else for that matter, and I said as much the other day when I wrote that he did contribute some very useful information. But this continual VK bashing must stop. You may not always agree with what people write on here, but you can counter-post without being rude.

When I read VKs posts, which are 9 times out of 10 very useful and helpful, I do wonder why some get so wound up! VK can be, and should be oft sent to the naughty step, but to class his comments as “bullying” and with some posters bleating they are “victims” is truly ridiculous! BTW the other 1 out of 10 can be silly, arrogant etc., etc., but VK knows that and he does it purely to wind you guys up! but you know that too! Or you should do by now! I’ve said this so many times till I’m blue in the face. And let’s face it, some of the winding up can be very amusing on a dull day in the office! I’m just being honest here!

I have said before and as HenryP1 said, we could do with new contributors and fresh eyes on things, it makes life and the BT forum much more interesting. Now only the other day due to a simple question from Esselle, I was able to reminisce about my first job in the hotel industry, and others contributed. OK we were rebuked a little for going off topic, but what does it matter, it was relevant at the time and Esselle wouldn’t have asked the question if he (?) wasn’t interested! And you don’t have to read it, if you are not interested!

I was quite shocked to read Tom Otley’s post as I really had no idea that people are taking this forum and themselves so seriously that they are emailing the publishers to complain about others. Really? I must be missing something? I can understand the publishers wishing to protect their business interests and their reputation, but in creating an online forum and a public online forum, they have in a way given their permission for people to express their opinions in it. It must be a real headache.

Oh and LP, you have absolutely no reason to even think about worrying about it – you are one poster I would happily even swing a golf club for! 😉 🙂

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I stopped contributing to this forum because of the unpleasantness but, as you may gather from the fact I am writing this post, I still lurk occasionally. One of the reasons for doing so is that I find the forum interesting and informative enough – between all the bickering – to warrant me looking at it from time to time. The other was a lingering hope that people would start behaving better. Frankly, although one or two contributors (one of whom wrote a lengthy post on the subject in the thread I initiated on deciding to leave, for which I doff my cap to him) decided to rethink their approach – or at least to take it down a few notches – while others clearly have not. And so the insults continue, and former posters stay away.

While on the subject of insults, I would add that repetition (by quotation) of insults from other threads is also deplorable, because it just causes cross-contamination. A perfect example of this appears above.

Needless to say, this all degrades the forum.

I am glad others still contribute, I will be sorry to see FDoS join the unhappy band of people (myself included, and others are mentioned above) who have largely abandoned the forum. RichHT1 is another name I might mention as a former contributor who provided valuable input, once.

And so I ask: What is it going to take for the rest of you to clean up your act, play nice, and entice back the many informed, intelligent, but exasperated and weary contributors who have decided it is not worth the angst posting here? Hint – the answer is NOT to point the finger at others and blame them. EVERYONE – and I really mean EVERYONE – who has been involved in the bickering is part of the problem, and has the ability to be part of the solution.

So please – ALL of you who have been caught up in this – think about it, and think before you post. It isn’t hard.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

I am saddened about some of the comments on here.
    But then again it is sometimes amusing to read some of the treads when they get personal, especially as the some, not all of the contributors regard themeselves as the creme de la creme of the the travelling public.
    In my time I have had to deal with such people on a flight and the overbearing arrogance and superiority of some made me give up and leave.
    Thankfully I am still in the industry, but shall we say more of a backroom person – where you fly and how is in my hands.
    I mainly fly for pleasure now and I am lucky to be able to self finance the forward cabins. I use BT as a welcome source of information, direction and as i said before a damn good chuckle.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Ian it was a shame to see you leave because of unpleasantness posted by BigDog. who branded my posts “diarrhea” and to which you valiantly objected, and were attacked by him for doing so.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Unpleasant-behaviour-on-the-forum?page=2

Unfortunately, as was the case in your departure too often people delete their attack posts (as BigDog. did in your case, unless it was done for him) and so that is why it is necessary to quote what others say, otherwise it just looks like we’re making things up, or overreacting.

Unfortunately, it’s important to illustrate what others are up to, set out the constant goading and sniping, and to ensure the indefensible is not defended.

Sadly, it’s threads like this which seem to garner most interest and receive the most responses. That is a shame – best to ignore the carping and get on with posting positive content.

It doesn’t help when BT refuses to take action when low level insults are flung around, giving the Usual Suspects cause to feel emboldened and then that leads to escalation. But then why should Panacea invest resources in policing what is meant to be an adult forum of business people?

Ultimately, taking a step back and not taking this forum too seriously would probably help.

BigDog.
    Participant

Oh please. In typical VK style he seeks to divert the focus elsewhere. Again he attempts to paint himself as the victim and then the honest broker. However VK is at the centre of 99% of the unpleasantness on this forum, whether it originates from him or is directed toward him.

As been has noted, VK has a propensity to lob in grenades to stir things up, some ignore them, some tire of them, some are amused by them, some bite back. Yes I am one that bites back, however am firmly of the view that far more posters have departed because of VK’s behaviour as opposed to mine. The forum being far far poorer for the departures.

Some believe his provision of useful information gives him a get out of jail free, carte blanche to be rude/bullying/condescending toward others. Am sorry but I do not hold to that view and push back accordingly. I do not kowtow to bullies regardless of their positive contributions elsewhere.

As AOTG told VK “You only post what you do for reaction, and you’ll be in t’internet heaven right now.”

IanFromHKG
    Participant

No, VK, I didn’t leave because of BigDog. I left because of the general and increasing unpleasantness that was going on. BigDog may have written the post that tipped me over the edge, but it was merely the straw that broke the camel’s back.

On that occasion I defended you, VK, so you know that what I am about to say is not because I am your sworn enemy – far from it. However, I have to point out to you that just a few minutes ago I asked everyone to think, to avoid pointing the finger at others and blaming them, and to try to avoid cross-contamination of threads by repetition of insults. And what did you do in reply? You attacked BigDog, and quoted an insult from another thread. Honestly, I despair…

Let me say this again: “EVERYONE – and I really mean EVERYONE – who has been involved in the bickering is part of the problem, and has the ability to be part of the solution”. Let me go on to add this: You all have the choice and ability to stop bickering. Why don’t you just do it?

IamSpartacus
    Participant

I think relying on peolple to stop bickering is wishful thinking unfortunately Ian. There are two camps on here consisting of only a handfull of the total posters, whose opinions are so deeply ingrained they seem to find it impossible to just leave each other alone.
    The sad thing is they both offer such a wide and varied amount of really usefull knowledge, information and insight that to lose them all would again unfortunately be to the detriment of the forum as a whole.

I have commented before that the type of people this forum tends to cater to and the related personality types will always lean to a postion of firm self belief in ones own opinions and a level of stubborness that can seem unnatural to most when it comes to accepting anothers position however we can still hope that with a modicum of self restraint that this behaviour can be left at the door when they log in.

Having said this i do still believe a little lively debate is healthy and some of the exchanges are amusing and have brightened up a dull day at work, we all just need to learn a little temperance.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

What started off over a year ago as a very interesting and welcome diversion has now been dragged down by a few vociferous posters (and you know exactly who you are) who have determined that they are going to shout each other down regardless of everyone else. My eyes now glaze over when I see some taglines and I either ignore them or close the posting.

What I have to ask is if people had (as I choose to do) to use their real names, would they seriously make some of the comments about others that they do? I rather doubt it. It also makes me wonder – if this is how they behave on a web forum – just how on earth do they behave towards their colleagues and, particularly, their subordinates.

Bucksnet
    Participant

If ‘VK is at the centre of 99% of the unpleasantness’ then maybe he should be banned on a temporary trial basis to see if things improve?

Hello Anthony

As PatJordan pointed out earlier in the thread, many of us have very valid reasons for not using real names. It would be impossible to enforce and I’m sure few posters would be for it.

Bucksnet

It takes two to tango!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ alexpo1 – 14/05/2013 12:38 GMT

My question was rhetorical: I understand that people cannot (for a host of reasons) always use their real names.

There is simply no excuse whatsoever for some of the “in your face” rudeness that I have witnessed on this site over the past few weeks. I was beginning to wonder if this had been taken over by some of the posters to the Comment is Free section of the Gruaniad which hosts some of the most vile and bile laden vitriol I’ve ever had the misfortune to read. And it is emphatically not an issue of VK being 99% responsible. It is about time that posters took personal ownership of and responsibility for their comments. If they cannot make a point without resorting to personal abuse, then don’t make it at all.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Nope – the answer is to make the Forum not so accesable to the one time posters / those posters being obnoxious, using “handles”.

There are very good reasons for people to useng handles. However, I stilll think BT,who benefit the most from the Forum, should create a more harmonious debating atmosphere, by ensuring the Forum is protected.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls