Numerous complaints…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

Thank you Tom for taking the time and trouble to do all this extra (and most likely unrewarded) work.

Like DavidGordon10, and many others, thanks to the forum, I have saved money, gained additional cards, and hopefully made some useful contributions.

Long may it continue.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Tom

Well done. Thank you.

Simon

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I can’t help thinking that there would be far fewer insults about VK on this forum – and far fewer people would see them – if he himself didn’t keep repeating them (just as he recently did on this very thread). However, since Tom has made it clear that insults will be deleted, and repeat offenders will be banned, I assume VK has a choice between refraining from this irritating practice and being banned.

Personally, I very much hope that the result of all this is that everyone just stops being rude rather than being banned. Whatever his faulrs – and heaven knows I have taken issue with them on a number of occasions, although I hope always without insulting anyone – VK *does* post interesting and useful material on here (between the more extreme pro-BA, pro-Willie, anti-BASSA rants, and the CW-is-the-best-seat-in-the-sky nonsense).

So as I said, as far as I am concerned, the ideal outcome of this exercise is that none of the regular contributors get banned, but that everyone starts to behave. Remember, it is entirely possible to disagree with VK and challenge his assertions without descending to abuse or excessive displays of temper. I do it quite frequently. People can then make up their own minds about who is right (me) and who is wrong, and perhaps offer different perspectives. Isn’t that what this forum is supposed to be for? And perhaps, along the way, other readers can learn something useful, just as I have learnt some very useful tips from various posters (VK included)

Tom, I am really sorry that this exercise has become necessary, but it clearly has, and I very much hope it works. Thanks for your efforts, and for your patience… I love the forum when it works properly and am really looking forward to it doing so again

RichardTan
    Participant

To Tom Otley, Site Administrator,

In my opinion, bullies cannot be tolerated and they should be removed from the Forum. No Ifs and Buts. Just like at schools and work places, there is no place for bullies even in the virtual world.

As you have stated, the Forum would be a much better place if we can all respect each other’s opinion. Let us EMBRACE everyone’s opinion whether you agree with it or not. Surely it is not that hard?

Biztraveller74
    Participant

All
    The issue with IP addresses removal is that many have dynamic IP addresses, or can hide their real one using VPN softwares that would disguise real location.
    I suggest individuals with wrong behaviors to get their access banned, they will open a new one, and get banned again, until they are fed up to be banned and re-open account!

JohnHarper
    Participant

May I ask why several weeks after a significant weeding of the forum took place and during which time things have markedly improved, the presence of VintageKrug under the handle of SergeantMajor is being tolerated? I have been on the end of abuse from this character before and I don’t want it to happen again.

Needless to say, threads have quickly descended in to argument, topics have been hijacked and the BA is wonderful agenda is back on course.

If the BT team are serious about keeping the board on course then can I ask that this matter is looked at.

Edited to add: 84 posts by the new handle in little over a month even demonstrates that the posting patterns are the same let alone the content and tone.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

John Harper – I agree, if the new handle is indeed the old problem, then we have a problem. Pulling the weed out did allow many good new flowers to grow.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Come on guys n girls – no one personality is bigger than the forum, unless you allow it to be…

It seems the winding up is all self inflicted…. I am only a fan of interesting and constructive travel plans / ideas / AND COST SAVINGS …. of which there are plenty from all contributors.

If the way some of the postings are made (including the use of English) do not appeal, then simply ignore them – those that are useful, say thank you and move on!!

There is no new/old problem, just the problem of some being wound up….

Have a great weekend, just on my way to Aquatica – if anyone needs a report please let me know……..

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m surprised there hasn’t been some dredging of old posts from years ago to knock some of the current threads off the front page.

I wonder whether BeckyKrug will be back as well?

IamSpartacus
    Participant

I agree Martin. I am not a fan of the Daily Mail’s reporting style or it’s agenda but i dont think it should not be allowed to publish, i just choose not to read it and problem solved. I then dont find myself infuriated, annoyed or aggitated by what they have to say as quite frankly i have more important things to do.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

JohnHarper, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but all posters here have equal “rights”. You are quite entitled to say your piece, but you are not entitled to suggest that others should be silenced because you don’t like them or what they say.

Censorship is a feature of totalitarian regimes. Hopefully BT will never fit into that category.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Martin,

I completely agree. Whenever the bitching starts like it has I normally stay away but the maybe the change of pace my holiday has induced has had an effect and I feel obliged to add my POV.

For me, I could not give a toss who a poster is whether they are a schizophrenic with 99 handles or a Martian who hibernates for the winter only to reemerge in the summer. I judge posters on what they say, not who they are and I find it amazing that some people get obsessed with the who on what is an anonymous internet forum. If I want to know who people are, I will go to a real meeting where I can meet them in person.

I consider the following kind of posts to be positive and worth reading:

1. Sharing of ACTIONABLE information i.e. tips and hints that I can make use of to improve my travel experience and bank account. The main purpose of this forum as far as I am concerned and any poster who regularly provides such information will always score highly in my estimation.
    2. Comprehensive reviews of travel experiences that covers all the details as well as the big picture. Such reviews allow me to visualise a potential travel experience.
    3. Well thought out opinions on topical travel related subjects. This doesn’t mean I have to agree with the opinion, just that I understand the rationale for the opinion. I have no problem with someone who has an in built bias or preference when offering an opinion or challenge provided I know where they are coming from.

The following kinds of posts make my eyes glaze over and moves me quickly on:

4. Ill-informed opinions often accompanied with trenchant assertions and a desire to “win” an argument. It might surprise some people but there are no prizes for “winning” an argument on an anonymous internet forum.
    5. Rants and emotional outbursts about a poster, airline, airport, etc.
    6. Personal abuse.

It doesn’t matter if you are a highly respected CEO who travels 100 times a year in first class or a cleaner on a minimum wage making 1 trip a year. Anyone is capable of making positive posts as I indicate in points 1 to 3. Equally anyone is capable of making themselves look like a prat by indulging in posts of types 4 to 6.

That’s my point over, back to the beach now!

londonlad
    Participant

Isn’t it funny how John Harper and his merry bunch can’t stand anyone who promotes BA but they want to be able to continue their tirades against BA unabated…

Just take a look at his posts… amazing.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Martyn, JohnPhelan, Spartacus, Bath – yes, we are all here to learn useful, often money-saving, and interesting things about travel. But, as BathVIP writes, personal abuse is not acceptable. We all, at times, write and say things that might be interpreted as abuse, but when we make such a mistake we regret it and try not to do it again.

I left the forum once before because of a piece of bullying, putting-down abuse aimed at me personally, and that is why I think that sometimes, some posters shoud be banned. There is, for me, a limit to the extent to which I can allow my eyes to glaze over and move on.

Incidentally, when I reappeared, the software assigned me, without chioce, a user name that is, essentially, my name (I am not the 10th of anything) so … is Sergeant Major a real name too?

Have an excellent holiday BathVIP – good choice of place.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

JohnPhelan

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, but all posters here have equal “rights”.

Wrong.

Spammers don’t, they regularly get banned (rightly.)

And I hope the same would apply to people posting any other unacceptable content.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls