Numerous complaints…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 140 total)

• DarrenBe
    Participant

I kept getting emails today saying this thread had been updated, so I decided to recover a password and make my 2nd ever post on these forums. (no I don’t have multiple usernames or any funny business)

As I just browse these forums briefly and never really login or post I seem to get a pretty objective view of what is wrong with this forum.

I don’t want to go down the name calling route, nor do I think I need to. I do want to briefly say this however. In my opinion, there is one user on this forum that is the cause of at least 80% of any bickering on this forum. I find it hard to believe that most people don’t see it like this. So as I watch from the sidelines, I really hope this person is banned rather than others that can’t grit their teeth and have to respond to his provocation.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

alexpo1 – 17/06/2013 16:17 GMT
    Yes, I used a different handle over the weekend on what must be one of the funniest threads (for me) ever.

I assume you are referring to the “Worlds Favourite Airline” thread, which I too thought was funny, a parody of the current state of play on this here forum.

If posters are to be banned for a wee bit of fun like that compared to the drivel that is posted so repetitively on the board, that’d be a real shame.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

VintageKrug
    Participant

AOTG +1

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ alexpo1 – 17/06/2013 16:17 GMT

Hi. Other than if BT decides to blacklist you owing to double handles, I cannot for the life of me think why you should be banished. For myself, I’ve enjoyed your contributions.

Yes, I have had contretemps with several other posters but I have never complained about anyone, have only the one moniker which is who I am (yes, I know, others cannot do likewise for a host of reasons) and, personally, would be most aggrieved if there was a wholesale banning process likely to take place, All I ask for is a modicum of proportionality and for fellow posters to ask themselves how they would feel if they were on the receiving end of what they’ve just fired off at someone else. And before I am accused of utter hypocrisy, there have indeed been occasions when I have subsequently regretted the odd remark I have made – and I do try to rise above some comments.

Isn’t this forum supposed to be informative, discursive and occasionally frivolous and entertaining? If the temperature could occasionally be taken out of things, that would help a lot.

travelworld
    Participant

Well done, Tom. I hope the results of the gardening show through quickly.

PatJordan
    Participant

I join others in support ot Tom and his weeding programme. It’s a pity that he has to spend so much time and resources doing this.

I have gained much useful information from the forum, added what I hope have been helpful comments, had many enjoyable exchanges with other posters. I sincerely hope to continue in this vein for a long time to come.

Safe travels to all.

Communipaw
    Participant

Blocking the IP of the offending (read trolling) poster is the best and most effective way to control all this posting drama.

I fully support this methodology.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Dear all

Just a quick question, does this potentially mean that IPs of lounges could be blocked, which could mean that all forum bloggers in the lounge would be barred?

Thanks

Marlene

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Would be nice to think one of the additional benefits of this gardening is the return of some of the past valuable contributors: I think it would be wrong to create a list, but we all know who they are……

IanFromHKG
    Participant

AOTG: I agree wholeheartedly

\VK: Good for you

Martyn – Absolutely, and since you have email contact with some of them I hope you will be contacting them directly to encourage their return

HongKongLady
    Participant

Alexpo1 I do not think that changing your name should or will result in a ban. As you haven’t posted under them at the same time If it does I will miss our banter. The Worlds favourite airline thread was simply a spoof and I am sure that it will be seen as such.
    I see the problem is with impolite and sometimes damn right rude comments. The occasional out burst can be forgiven but some just see it as sport.
    BT your thoughts ?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The intention isn’t to ban people just because they have multiple handles. What does seem to happen, however, is people go under another handle to post in an inflammatory or unhelpful manner, to attack others, or sometimes, bizarrely, to disagree with what they have just posted, as though we needed more disagreement!

I’m not even going to try to understand it. As I’ve said elsewhere, our first job is to be journalists and I’m trying to sort this out while writing up interviews and putting the July/August edition of Business Traveller to press.

When we get proper forum software, then we can hand over the moderation to you all and you can ban each other to your heart’s content, but since that’s a way off, I will do it in the meantime.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Site Administrator ..

It is a shame that ‘new software is a way off’. I would have thought that Panacea Pulishing would be at the forefront of forum technology.

I say it with humour, which some of you may find amusing, that your claim that new software is ‘way off’ appears to be much the same with any new BA Club World seat.

BigDog.
    Participant

Please consider a “like” or “don’t like” flag which exists on most forum. This indicator will quickly draw your attention to problematic posts and hopefully make administrating/moderating far easier.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sadly, the puerile namecalling continues.

BT, please remove this childish post by AllOverTheGaff, who demonstrates his real purpose is to cause trouble, rather than contribute positively:

AllOverTheGaff – 18/06/2013 15:52 GMT

“VintageTroll – 18/06/2013 15:42 GMT
    I take it AOTG hasn’t visited Galleries F in recent weeks, then.

Does that satisfy your trolling curiosity sufficiently?”

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Fly-Virgin-2h-8mins?page=3#94498

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 140 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls