Numerous complaints…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 140 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Unfortunately “protecting” the forum is a hiding to nothing; you need new posters to ask (usually) intelligent questions – without that input, it will deteriorate and die off.

Plus there are plenty of people whose interest (or tolerance!) to contribute will wane, just as we will get new contributors like Alexpo and Papillion joining.

On the point of anonymity, it is an important part of the forum for many reasons, and even if done away with and a linkedin or other profile was needed (which would stop many people with a sophisticated understanding of social networking from contributing entirely) it could so easily be got around by setting up a fake profile from which to post, so that won’t work either.

You only have to see the many and various handles here which have popped up under new – or sometimes co-existent – handles to see that wouldn’t work.

It’s really a forum for entertainment; I’m amazed people take all this so seriously!

Bucksnet
    Participant

I think you mean without, VK?

esselle
    Participant

Greetings from Singapore, where I was deposited earlier today after a very comfy ride in EK’s first cabin.

I can only add that perhaps a bit of tolerance and humility might go a long way; tolerance of the point of view of others, and humility arising from not wishing to be construed as a know all by those others.

I can talk………

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi MartynSInclair,

Just to answer the point that you keep making – there are many tens of thousands of people registered on the site, most of whom we know nothing about – only an email address. How could we “protect it”? We are journalists and editors, whose job is to put together editorial for the magazine and the website, not to investigate who people are, and even if we did know who you were, how would that help? We aren’t going to expose you on the forum if you misbehave.

We are trying to protect what we have here. You seem to be accusing us of being somehow two-faced about it – asking people to behave themselves while wanting them to keep posting – but what’s wrong with that? Isn’t that something to aspire to without raising the walls and allowing in only those who meet certain criteria?

It would be possible to create a “group” (if that’s what you mean) on a system like Linkedin, but we have one already – feel free to go on there and post, but of course, everyone would be doing so with their real names, since that’s how Linkedin works – it’s a job site.

We’re always open to new ideas, but as I’ve said on numerous other threads, publishing is not easy at the moment – and all of this (apart from the current issue’s content) is free to read / use / post on. I haven’t heard anyone volunteering for a paid forum, so in the meantime, we’re trying to make this free one work.
    Tom

Bucksnet, no I mean VK and FDoS agreeing to disagree, not to mention at least 2 other posters.

FDoS, your knowledge and insight will be missed. Would a night out in the Grand Duchy change your mind? I’m paying….

You are very welcome to get in contact with me via Martyn.

Senator
    Participant

Whilst I have found many things interesting in this forum, my degree of participation has diminished for several reasons. Firstly, while logical given the nature of the publication and the audience, I find the Forum too UK (read: London) centric. Secondly, regardless of topic we end up in some sort of discussion about all things BA. Thirdly, despite all good intentions from the publisher, the technology behind the forum leaves much to be desired. Furthermore, we now have an excellent Forum in Sweden developed by true travel/Forum junkies with the right level of topics, participation, banter and interest. In two years, we’ve had one or maximum two threads that have malicious and viscous. In this case, the threads have been closed by the editorial staff. Finally, whilst I don’t get involved in the bickering, I find it rather sad having to scroll through tons of unnecessary verbiage to find the useful information.

I disagree with the Right Hon VK when he states: It’s really a forum for entertainment…” To me, it is a forum for like-minded, smart business travellers looking for news, great deals, and perhaps inspiration to try something new. An internet forum is to me a place to share best-practises, ideas and experience with people of roughly the same interest.

My other forum works with simple Ts&Cs. I have taken the liberty to translate:

7. Etiquette
    On the xxxx.se site, we care for each other. The forum is build upon communal help and respect. Personal attacks, provoking posts and so called “trolling” is banned. Focus on discussing the topic, not the user. Obviously, different opinion should be discussed as adults, but personal attacks are never allowed and as a user you can be barred from the forum if you break these rules.

8. If you break these rules
    If you break these rules, or if you disregard the moderator’s suggestion the course of action can be a warning or suspension. If your actions are deemed to be severe, we may elect to delete your profile. Attempts to create new accounts to circumvent this will lead to complete lock-out from the Forum.

Obviously, some of the above are hard to monitor and to enforce. Given you are providing personal details when registering, but are allowed to keep anonymous public profiles it is easier to enforce.

I want to for the third time however, offer the wise words of John Henson, the lovely Irishman fronting the smallish rock band U2. At a concert weeks after the London July bombings, he said: “I would like to offer a prayer for all the victims and the victims’ families. I would also like to offer a prayer, that we don’t become a monster in order to defeat a monster”. Life is too short to get wound up about how many seats there are across the Club World cabin or that someone is willing to fly in-direct via Timbuktu to save money and have (in their opinion) a better customer experience.

The people in this forum are privileged. I can count about a hand-full of people in my social network who’ve been in business class or First. Most make more money than I do, but elect to travel differently.

If we look at our travel and our ability to travel in premium as a privilege not a right, I think a degree of humility will set in. With humility comes consideration to others and we can avoid this unnecessary bickering and small stuff.

With that, I sign off using a phrase from my favourite travel-related film ever:
    “Cpt Over, Cpt Roger, Cpt Dunn… Roger, Over, Dunn….. Dunn, Over, Roger”

MartinJ
    Participant

Thank you for highlighting the issue, Tom. I cringe when I see condescending or aggressive posts and I would read the forum more often if there were fewer evangelists (who will not rest until they’ve forced their opinion on everybody) or apologists (who would do anything to defend their beloved airline).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“there are many tens of thousands of people registered on the site, most of whom we know nothing about – only an email address”

…………..exactly!

BT mooted the possibility of changes some time ago, but nothing has happened. I believe there were posters who offered advice on Forum software…..

We all agree this is an excellent Forum – but as you recognise it has grown significantly….. and you are excellent journalists, trying to resolve what fundamentally is a social networking / IT / open Forum – issue…….

You accept advertising revenue, (I guess you will advise it is minimal) why not return some of the revenue to enhance the Forum.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    That’s the plan, but it’s not going to happen in the next few months since it will be part of a complete revamp of the website – meanwhile, I’m hoping everyone will be nice to one another. Naive, perhaps….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BT – that is indeed excellent news. Sooner the better.

Bucksnet
    Participant

alexpo1 – 14/05/2013 13:44 GMT

I was replying to VK’s post at 12:52

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

Tom,

you are somewhat close to a potential idea in your post above.
    why not have only people who subscribe to BT be people with the rights to post. they pay for the full service so to speak….print, digital and opinion….

all others can only read…..so they do not miss out…if their interest increases, they pay the low fees to subscribe

it’s just a thought anyway, as i for one would be delighted and i am sure, as with many (I am not saying all) on this forum who fly business or first, the company pays, so the company may pay for a subscription as well.

Oops Bucksnet, it’s that time of day when my batteries run low!

On a final note, I love VK’s posts and, as he said, don’t take these things too seriously.

Now I have to gear myself up for my upcoming flight, like it or not!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Papillion, nice to see you post again and thanks for the kind comment, though at times I think Mrs. LP would rather swing a club “at” me! Especially today when I took her passport by accident instead of mine, but that’s another story for another thread soon!

Ian, nice to see you still “lurking” around and I agree with all you have to say. If only posters could turn the other cheek so to say and not give in to bullying and winders up.

I never realised just what a following this forum has till BT mentioned tens of thousands. That’s quite a success story I think. I see Martyn’s point, and we’ve discussed it, but I begin now to see it from BT’s side as well and understand their position. A tough nut to crack!

BigDog.
    Participant

VintageKrug@- 14/05/2013 12:52 GMT

“It’s really a forum for entertainment; I’m amazed people take all this so seriously!”

Begs the question – Then why all the off-the-scale hissy fits? No one else produces a diatribe remotely on par with your hissy fits.

or has AOTG answered it already?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 140 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls