Numerous complaints…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)

• Anonymous

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We have now got to the stage where the number of email complaints from regular posters about the forum is beginning to clog our inboxes here at Panacea. Each person emailng to complain is clear about who is at fault, but unfortunately, the cumulative list of names is long, and includes many of those who email to complain about others.

We have only a few short term choices.

1. email you to ask you to desist from your behavior. This has been unsuccessful.

2. delete off topic and bullying posts when they are pointed out to us. We try and do this, but the forum is a big place and there are a lot of threads live. Also the software allows people to post and then edit or even delete the post shortly afterwards, so it can be difficult to catch.

3. ban you. Sad, because almost without exception, you contribute, and many find your posts of interest.

4. continue as we have been. But then we have people leaving the forum both silently and with a flourish, and many more unwilling to contribute because of the bullies in the room.

As such I can only appeal to those who are using the forum to push agendas, insult and deride others to stop doing so. The forum is an unpleasant place at the moment, with too little consideration for the opinions of others, and less and less that is of interest to the vast majority of those visiting the website.

Tom Otley

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Reminds me when as president of an English Speaking Club and Federation, I used to organize an Annual weekend and Christmas Dinner. I’d have a request from the Smith’s to sit with the Jones’s as they were such good friends, and a request from the Jones’s to sit with anyone except the Smith’s!!!

But you make a valid point Tom and the petty bickering is a shame as well as being tedious on occasions. I tend to ignore it as I’ve better things to do with my time and I don’t want to be involved in plenty of mud throwing, but when it’s in the middle of an interesting thread it tends to break the flow and one is not sure at which point to comment again.

I can give no suggestions here and I’m just surprised this thread has not been hijacked by posters blaming each other – but maybe you’re deleting those replies?

It is a shame to no longer see FlyingChinaman, Papillion, IanFromHongKong to name a few, and I hope they will come back at some point.

In the meantime I enjoy the forum, enjoy commenting when I can and having met a few of the contributors enjoy their company, so long may the Forum continue and hopefully flourish.

PS. I hope not too many have complained about me???

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

LP

Where do I start!! Only joking!

On a serious note your help with restaurant recommendations in Lugano for my client was exactly what this forum should be about. Helping and providing incite, experience and tips to those who seek or need it. I guess travel is a very subjective and emotional issue for many people and because of this things get heated. Like you I just try to ignore some comments from posters that seem to be purposely confrontational (a few times I’ve composed a message to then not submit as there isn’t really any point).

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Lugano – I won’t answer that because if they haven’t they probably will, and if they have, you’d want to know more 🙂

But you’re right – we miss the contributions of many who have departed because they did not like the tone of many of the conversations / threads. It’s a shame.

Tim – if only everyone had a time out before posting to calm down, it would be preferable, I agree, but posting anonymously seems to remove people’s inhibitions both for better and for worse.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

I wonder if there’s some way of only allowing posting from people with a public profile, perhaps connected to eg: Google profile, LinkdIn etc.

Most probably a right old faff to do though.

Andrew66
    Participant

Tom, ( Site Admin) I agree completely with every word of your post and hope that your appeal is successful. It should be because its just decent courtesy and common sense , I wouldn’t like to see the site over moderated because that stems the flow of open discussion and there is nothing wrong with a full and frank heated debate , but respect for others opinions has to be part of that .
    I actually think that I’m a bit of an imposter on here because I don’t travel for business , but I do like business type travel for my leisure time , so I thought it would be useful to subscribe to BT to learn more and hopefully gain some useful inside information , plus the 1000 AVIOS bonus pushed me nicely to 100k and a reward flight in F !!!! So Thankyou BT !! I will take a copy to read on the plane and raise a glass to you !!
    I also have to say that everyone has treated me really well ( don’t spoil it now!) I will freely admit that I have little knowledge compared to many on here but if I can help by offering an opinion or some knowledge I’ve picked up then that makes me feel part of it all , and I do enjoy reading the posts and people’s experiences etc .

1nfrequent
    Participant

Mixed emotions over this. Glad that something is being said but sad that it needs to be. I usually try to ignore the nastier exchanges but it’s been very difficult recently, especially as some posters have been going out of their way to troll each other and don’t care about the effect this has on others so long as they score their cheap and easy point.

Hope this knocks some sense into the more bull headed out there because this is such a fantastic resource when people support each other.

1F

PatJordan
    Participant

Sad that Tom has had to make this point.

Like others in this thread, I have gained much information from the forum, enjoyed some good exchanges, and thus far have had only pleasant experiences here.

Regarding tiggerbrown’s suggestion about public profiles, don’t forget that some regular posters work in the travel business, and therefore have to remain anonymous. This does not in any way take from the value of their insight and comments.

Maybe at some future point those who have left the forum might return and share their knowledge and ideas with us again.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tim, glad I could help. Were your clients pleased with the reco’s and where did they go in the end?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sad to see that formerlyDoS has decided to disregard the advice herein already:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Direct-Aisle-Access

formerlyDoS launched yet another personal attack “I comment on your posts because a lot of them contain content that is low grade crap. C*R*A*P….You are clueless..pompous….It’s childlike and pathetic…”

Very disappointing.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Krug

I’ve already resigned from the forum.

It’s pathetic that you continuously troll Binman, you always have done since I’ve been reading this forum. And you had to do it again, tonight.

Tom, I’ve already asked you twice, politely, to delete my profile. Do I have to ask for a third time?

I no longer wish to be involved with what is becoming a parody of a business travel forum. Thanks for actioning the request.

Be_Nice
    Participant

I think the easiest way is not to log in.

I am not sure if we have to make a formal request to leave or resign.

Shearer
    Participant

Hmmm. The cream of British business.

Henryp1
    Participant

Good morning all, what a burn down yesterday on this and the direct aisle access threads yesterday.

However as VK pointed out quite reasonably at 20.22

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Direct-Aisle-Access#90816

I too am sure that clients and business partners would be shocked by behaviours of some posters should they read the forum.

I do believed that at times it is best to ignore posts rather than react. I also believe that the ability to delete posts by posters should be removed. Only at the last weekend was a sarcastic post left in response to a reasonable post, only to be deleted later.

The position of leaving the forum is I believe, just do that.

All forums have posters leave and join, surprisingly at times when particular posters leave, new names pop up who would not normally post as potentially they have the confidence that they won’t be attacked? New posters are valuable as they bring different views and ideas from potentially the well established ones.

A forum without fresh eyes and new experiences has little potential to grow and be in tune with the current day.

Have a good day and interesting travels.

Henry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls