BBC iPlayer abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve used this VPN provider for 5 years, with good results. It’s a paid for service.

https://www.streamvia.com/

openfly
    Participant

As of yesterday, the BBC have announced that access to BBC iPlayer is to be restricted to UK licence holders, due to loss of revenue.
    There is no explanation as to how they intend to do this. The restriction is to take place in the near future.
    Annoying, but nothing is for ever.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If this allowed license holders to access iPlayer downloads overseas, I would consider it value and reason to pay the license fee…

wowzimmer
    Participant

I’ve never been able to fathom why one can’t access the BBC iPlayer service abroad by simply inputting their licence fee certificate number.

SimonS1
    Participant

Should be relatively easy to enforce online. Sky seem to manage it OK with SkyGo.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

MartynSinclair +1 – if you pay the fee you should be able to access

Have spend several long stays abroad and naturally have not payed the licence fee while there – the amount of rubbish aggressive letters I had from the BBC (plus visits to my empty UK house) means they have undoubtably lost money as a result of their ridiculous attitude to viewing abroad

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Get a VPN.

The whole situation is quite moronic in this day and age of a border less world (at least for the globalised professional elite). Why wouldn’t the BBC allow non Uk residents the ability to pay the license fee to get access via the Internet?

NTarrant
    Participant

I pay a license in the UK and for a VPN. So I’m actually paying twice to view programs abroad. I’d have no problem in paying a fee to watch BBC programs on iplayer.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I currently use a VPN which gets me both ITV and BBC though I don’t use it very often. I have Sky Go which also works via the VPN but never use it though my sons do and I presume you can get BBC etc through that as Sky carries those channels.

I was given another service which gives free TV worldwide without having to use a VPN, but the only problem is it’s live and so not always convenient to watch. Luckily my sister has a TV licence and never uses the iPlayer, so I’ll be able to use her number if it comes to it.

Going on, with more and more people using the internet for their TV I’m really not surprised BBC will start to charge as their licence fee income must be going down. However, I wonder how many will choose to watch via Sky instead?

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Having successfully used a VPN for over a year to access BBC player, as from yesterday, i am suddenly unable to do so. Coincidence or not?

transtraxman
    Participant

To watch programmes abroad try ITV Essentials GBP4.99 monthly.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

DTR, just checked and using my VPN I can use the iplayer. Just watching Happy Valley!

peterraven
    Participant

Hi there… Cannot find the link for UKbest VPN – sorry I am a bit blur today – can you be clearer?

Thanks

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Lugano Pirate – Unhappy Valley here and may have to resort to Apple TV for end of Shetland. Will try again though!

NTarrant
    Participant

DTR have you checked that you are not out of subscription? I have had that where the amount of MB has been used up. Also when you get the only in UK message press the play button again and again, I have found on a few occasions that by pressing a number of times it starts

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls