BBC iPlayer abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Ian

I asked the question and the answer from Wes Mather is..

“You sure can, all documented on our website here:

http://www.thaiexpat.tv/knowledgebase/16/MobileorWeb-Player

(sorry the link did not come through as a hypo link)

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Thanks, Martyn, but the article at the link you supplied says you have to connect your Apple device to the TV using an HDMI cable. However, that doesn’t work for me – we use a projector for vision and a separate audio system for sound. Our Apple TV (which of course isn’t a TV at all) is already wired up to send video to the projector and sound to the audio system, so if I could stream from iPad to Apple TV (using AirPlay) then all is well. So for clarity, perhaps my question should have read:

Is it possible to stream content using AirPlay from an iPad to Apple TV, without the need for a physical cable connection?

DanielleChin
    Participant

Well, thanks for giving solutions..
    After reading all posts, I found out that http://www.sunvpn.net/ is the answer to my internet issue. It creates an additional SSL encrypted channel on top of the OpenVPN connection that makes the traffic virtually undetectable by DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) tools used by various Internet blocking solutions.

SimonS1
    Participant

No need to go to any of these VPN websites, registration etc. Just use the Hola add on for your browser and it will give you the option of UK and US based browsing. Works really well for iPlayer, Sky etc.

Thonburi
    Participant

I remember contributing to this discussion some years ago.
    If you are a UK resident and assuming you pay your license fee there is a very good way of watching the BBC iPlayer overseas.
    Assuming you have a UK home, and a reasonable (ideally fibre, but not essential) Broadband connection at home, you can set up your own VPN.
    Many of these VPN services are:
    • Expensive – think of the year on year cost
    • Their service can be rather variable – especially as many are designed for hiding your real IP, not handling video bandwidth.
    How do you do this?
    Replace your home router with a router with a hardware VPN facility. I say hardware VPN so you get real performance for video – many routers often offer VPN services but they are software offerings and cannot deliver vidoe performance. I would recommend DrayTek Vigor routers as having proven rock solid reliiblity and performance. They are not cheap but you will not regret the spend. The DrayTek Vigor 2830n would be a good model to consider, but there is a wide range available.
    Setting up your own VPN on these is relatively easy.
    A couple of additional benefits your own VPN brings are:
    • Security. If you use public Wi-Fi your connection is rather insecure. Connecting from a public WiFi via your own VPN encrypts your data automatically.
    • You can at any time be seen to UK websites as being in the UK. This is a requirement for a number of websites – for example Tesco’s Clubcard Account!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just recently signed up with TunnelBear and find it brilliant. It’s £3 a month or £22 a year. I have it on the iPad and my Samsung Tab 5. Finally, Corrie and Benidorm!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

And by the way, you can now get the BBC radio programmes without the need for a VPN as they are free to listen worldwide.

If like me you are a fan of “Just a Minute” the new series has just started and Episode 1 with David Tennant is still there. He managed the whole minute without hesitation etc and was the first person ever to do that on their maiden appearance. Brilliant.

NTarrant
    Participant

I use VPN Express as do my colleagues, there are various deals with a years worth of watching, for £29.00. It is also useful for using FaceTime where it is banned and for seeing how much you didn’t win on the UK lottery!

If you have an iPad you can also pay £3.99 a month to get rid of the adverts on ITV, but alas not on Channel 5! I listen to Heart FM which initially said “you are not in the UK, or add your post code”

SunnyM6
    Participant

My first post after many months of reading!

I’ve been using TunnelBear in the US for the last 9 months on the iPad and find it excellent to access UK content.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I am British and live in Hong Kong, I do not pay the license fee and can easily access bbc iplayer by paying $2.99 per month on getflix. Very easy allows me to also access netflix and all US/UK networks.

SimonS1
    Participant

Use Hola and it’s free. No need to pay anything.

sallycroft
    Participant

I use to watch BBC UK on my computer with UK VPN e.g. PureVPN service without any issues http://www.purevpn.com/uk-vpn-services.php

openfly
    Participant

Beware of Hola…..if you download the App on an Apple device, it loads all 30 Hola sites worldwide. It might be free, but it’s a pain to delete each one individually.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’ve just downloaded Hola as a plugin to Chrome…works fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls