BBC iPlayer abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

I have tried many VPN companies over the years, to get access to IPlayer, ITV Hub etc. My experience is that all of them including Norton, seem to stop working after a matter of days or weeks. I assume because the BBC elves are cleverer at finding the cheats? But if you have a VPN which has lasted longer than a few weeks before getting blocked, please let me know.

K1ngston
    Participant

You need to try DNS services offered by many of the VPN companies out there … Then you will not need to keep changing

cwoodward
    Participant

David, I have used the same VPN for the past 9 years from all over the world -it always works for every station that I have used it for normal BBC iplayer and ITV Hub but also for SBS in AU and some in USA. Also radio 5 live which has a lot of sport live that is only available to UK audience
    For tv I normal get hi res to boot

My VPN differs from many in that I it lists the possible connections in some 40 countries. Currently in UK there are some 160 connections from which to chose. I chose the strongest (they are listed) among those that I have experienced to be reliable.

Its called -Identity Clocker.com – its based in Eastern Europe it is very secure and has never let me down. From HK I use it every day. It is not expensive
    Hope that this is of assistance

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1206866]

StreamVia and NordVPN, both working well after years. They change their DNS settings regularly.

K1ngston
    Participant

Yes NordVPN is my preferred VPN provider

DannyBoy
    Participant

Blimey the BBC what an archaic and a joke of a service. The billions they receive a year in license fees to produce crap programming or just show repeats and waste money. I have long since discontinued my license for over two years now and have been free of wasting money and still able to watch TV legally.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=1206935]

Another vote for Nord – used it for a while everywhere and it works across all TV platforms I have: Amazon, Netflix, Sky, BBC, ITV Player etc etc.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Thanks all for the advice. I’ll try NordVPN the next time I get desperate for a fix of decent UK drama or comedy.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Nord VPN for me too. That said, an increasing number of sites block content when connection through a VPN. Sometimes, pausing the VPN for 5 minutes is enough, but sometimes, it is not. And of course, if we are abroad, then this strategy would indicate where we are and therefore be self-defeating.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1207020]And of course, if we are abroad, then this strategy would indicate where we are and therefore be self-defeating.[/quote]

When I am abroad I always set my VPN to a UK IP node.

K1ngston
    Participant

Swissdiver enable their DNS service works perfectly and you dont have to do that …..

Swissdiver
    Participant

FYI, each time I log on my Sky Sports account, I have what they call a “Custom clearance” that forces me to disable momentarily my VPN so they can check where I am (even if my VPN is set to the right country).

nevereconomy
    Participant

I never had the issue. When I travel I usually have something far more interesting to occupy my time – travel broadens the mind, not the I-Player.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls