BBC iPlayer abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Martyn, I’ll look into it.

openfly
    Participant

LuganoPirate…… I get all uk TV in Cape Town….Corrie included! I use viewuktvabroad.com VPN, and the 2mega unlimited Telkom package. I am in Greenpoint. To give it every chance I use a direct lead from the router to the laptop. The laptop is connected to the TV and bingo….Corrie on the big tv. It works so well that I have stopped my DSTV account.

Good luck

SimonS1
    Participant

No need to pay for it – there are good free solutions around. Try bestukvpn, tunnelbear etc. They work fine. However if you don’t have the bandwidth even paid for solutions are iffy.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

With low bandwidth the key is to use the download feature. However, leaving the VPN on slows down connection speed even more. There is a trick, however – iPlayer only checks your address when you start or finish a download. So (although this is a little labour-intensive) – log on to the VPN, put all your downloads in the queue, and once the download starts switch the VPN off. You will see the remaining download time plummet. Then, when the download (programme by programme) nears the end, put the VPN back on until the download has completed and the next programme has started downloading. It does mean you need to keep the iPad by your side and keep an eye on it, but easy enough to do

Also, remember that the download will stop if iPlayer isn’t open on the screen – it won’t download in the background

openfly
    Participant

Lugano……Hayley’s cancer op has given her just a few months to live. Karl is about to get caught for burning the Rovers down ………

fergy23
    Participant

I noticed that the Expat Shield are now charging to watch the BBC through it, bit cheeky seeing as they put ads on there too. I’m connected to Laptop Telly now, all the UK channels seem to work fine and without the buffering now. download is http://www.laptoptelly.com

cassandra.lyle
    Participant

I’d recommend Unblock Us: http://www.unblock-us.com/35771.html

It’s faster than a VPN, and there’s no software to install. Just follow the instructions on their website to make a small change to the DNS settings on your computer or whatever device you will be watching on, and that’s it.
    They offer a 7-day free trial with the simplest of sign-ups, just put in your email address. Once your free trial expires, then you can decide to pay $4.99 a month.

I’ve tried/paid several providers, and I can say that Unblock Us offers the fastest streaming connection of them all.

SimonS1
    Participant

There are plenty of free VPNs these days that are free, quick and don’t require any settings changed on your device.

I watched the football on one in Dubai.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Can you recommend one please Simon. The simpler the better.
    I’d love to watch SKY on my iPad but it always blocks me as I’m out of the UK.

NTarrant
    Participant

LP – I use VPN Express which is available through the iStore, you can get 90 days for £3.99. It gives UK, US, Canada, France and Germany. There are probably others but my colleagues and I find this works great.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A far easier solution which I still use, needs no hardware or software

https://www.thaiexpat.tv/

I will disclose Wes Mather is a personal contact of mine, but I have zero financial benefit or incentive for their service – simply, it works very well.

SimonS1
    Participant

LP – try bestukvpn.com. Or freevpn.me.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Simon, I’ll let you know how I get on.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Nigel, though I see VPN Express limits you too 400mb which is not enough to watch a cricket match or the omnibus edition of Coronation Street! Looks good though if you just need it to buy software.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Martyn, do you know if the thaiexpattv solution allows you to stream the content from iPad to Apple TV?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls