BBC iPlayer abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

One of the reasons UK TV stations do not allow people watch from a non UK is due to copyright. If for instance the BBC buys in a US programme, they will only buy the rights to show it in the UK. Subsequently the BBC must make efforts to prevent people from watching outside the UK. If it happens to be BBC programme where they own the copyright, such as Top Gear then they do not want people abroad watching it as they make a great deal of money from selling it to other countries. If most of the population have already watched it on line then that country’s broadcaster is less likely to buy it, or will be willing to pay less for it. Thus BBC/ITV etc will make it difficult.

NTarrant
    Participant

That makes sense Mr Michael, although they could grey out those programs that come from say the US, leaving those of us that like Holby and Dragons Den to watch without having VPN.

I wonder how much the BBC has lost by not offering a subscription service, particularly for those of us in nonEnglish speaking countries. Even with the VPN I still pay iTunes £3.99 a month to get rid of the adverts, even though I don’t watch very much on ITV.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Tarrant – Subscription to Hotspot Shield good and have clicked many times.

Will spend some more time on it later today.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The VPN I use is Tunnel Bear. It’s brilliant and allows access not just t the UK but the US, most of Europe and elsewhere. You can get 1gb a month for free or annual unlimited for a relatively small sum for a single device or a bit more for up to 5 devices I think which is the service I use.

openfly
    Participant

Looks as though the BBC are not only going to knock out their iPlayer services from VPN, but the open service worldwide on filmon.com. Damn nuisance…and yes, I do pay my TV licence in the UK, two of them!

cwoodward
    Participant

I use a VPN (the same one based in eastern Europe ‘Identity Clocker’, that allows my IP address to be in any of 50 countries that I have used since 2012)to access iplayer and ITV Hubb etc in UK and any free to air channel in most English speaking countries normally in high resolution.

ASK1945
    Participant

cwoodward

I use abroad the VPN that comes with Norton 360 (which I use by default in the UK also) and it’s set for the UK region. I am currently in Spain and I am able to access quite normally my Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer accounts without difficulty. I haven’t tried All-4, ITV or Channel 5 because they come with Sky anyway. Also, they are on the hotel room TV (with the BBC channels).

Previously, in the last few months, I have used the Norton VPN in Greece and Israel.

For watching videos on flights, for the few downloads that don’t work without a live wi-fi, I watch downloads I made beforehand using Audials-22, which are saved as wmv files, so can be watched on any computer even without a wi-fi connection.

cwoodward
    Participant

The Norton VPN works in some situations but it has limitations and restrictions in that it cannot access BBC iPlayer and some downside in that it keeps logs of IP addresses and it doesn’t have DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection. Also it’s unable to access most major streaming sites in UK or internationally Inc. Channel 4, and ITV Hub. Also it doesn’t allow P2P traffic.
    Probably not an optimum solution but its free and useful in some situations.

ASK1945
    Participant

The Norton VPN I use is not free – it comes free as part of a suite of programs (Norton 360) for which I pay a lot of money annually.

I have not experienced any of the limitations you describe. I have listed above the various systems I can access abroad, which include the BBC i-Player. I have just tried again, here in Spain and got through immediately. I repeat, ITV, C4 and C5 I can access through Sky.

It all may be an EU access that you can’t get in HK.

cwoodward
    Participant

I have Norton VPN also and understand that it is not of course FREE and to be honest I have never actually used it in anger other than to check its programming and features of the make-up (that I did not like)
    It should not be that HK access differs from Spain as of course we are actually pirating the programming. I like yourself purchase a licence in UK (the address being my sisters orchard -same as her address but with a B after the street number…………worked will for years.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1205106]of course we are actually pirating the programming.[/quote]

Eh?

I pay a licence fee to the BBC, Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime. They have my details.They don’t demand a static IP address. In what way am I “pirating”?

cwoodward
    Participant

Ah, so your not using UK ‘free to air’ terrestrial channels. Your earlier postings had wrongly led me to believe that you were.
    My postings where all re the above as believe are most of the postings on this older thread.

ASK1945
    Participant

Thank you for your clarification. I did write: “I repeat, ITV, C4 and C5 I can access through Sky”. I guess you missed that.

cwoodward
    Participant

Actually I did not miss your comment rather found it confusing as it seemed that you were accessing the full BBC iPlayer oversees without a VPN or payment. I now understand that you pay for access.

K1ngston
    Participant

There are some excellent VPN companies out there offering VPN and DNS services for all of us EXPATS who crave our UK TV fix, and cannot stand the Android boxes that lag ridiculously and are actually banned here in Singapore.

Sites such as BBC Iplayer do from time to time make changes but this doesn’t happen with a competent DNS server installed on your Amazon stick or AppleTV, for the rest of my tv fix now with Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, HBOGo amongst others we are well sorted.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls