BBC iPlayer abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)

• Anonymous

Deleted_User
    Participant

I have no problem getting radio stations on my laptop, but it’s impossible to get BBC TV programmes. Is there any way around this?

On my TV all I get is BBC World News.

flying_cookie
    Participant

Due to copyright restrictions, the iPlayer only works if the IP address you are accessing it from is in the UK or ROI. If you have a corporate VPN whose server is based in the UK/ROI, VPN first and then try running the iPlayer, it usually works.

Binman62
    Participant

Simonhb

BBC i player does not work outside the UK. It does this by looking at your ISP and if it is not a UK address then the signal is blocked.

The work around is very simple you need a VPN ( virtual private network) this provides you with a UK address and then iPlayer thinks you are in the UK and it all works.

I have no experience of this on a PC but on the ipad it is very simply and I use a firm called VPN express. There is a fee but there are lots of VPN suppliers and a variety of solutions but you need to ensure you get a UK based server as anything else will not work.

I als use a app called Tunein radio . Very good
    Film on live is also excellent for live TV.

If you have a VPN then you can also get Netflix UK edition.

Some of the techies on here may be able to provuide further details.

Deleted_User
    Participant

Thanks flying cookie and Binman

Will have a try….

openfly
    Participant

Download viewuktvabroad.com Sign on to £5 a month and watch uk tv thru FilmOn.com. Very easy and all uk tv anywhere. I watch uk tv in South Africa. You end up with a VPN icon. Just click on this anywhere and it opens an msn page. Put FilmOn.com in the address bar and most uk tv stations are on a list. Just click on the channel you want. It takes about 10 secs to change channel. You can also select BBC/ITV player Good luck….it’s easy!

Tim2soza
    Participant

http://www.vpntv.co.uk/ works a treat. About £30 a year. It fools UK web sites into thinking you are in the UK.

NTarrant
    Participant

Beware when staying at Accor hotels as the wifi is provided through France so if you try iPlayer it will say you are abroad. As will National Lottery.

Deleted_User
    Participant

My head is spinning but I think I’m getting there!

Thanks everyone.

Why is it I can easily navigate airlines’ websites, but things like this drive me up the wall?

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Your line speed via a UK VPN does drop to approx 50% so mostly it works but you can expect some bufffering

K1ngston
    Participant

Banana VPN allows you to have a IP address registered in the UK or the US you decide and will allow you to watch all content restricted when you travel abroad. Like someone said below with the VPN which you can add to your Ipad you can watch Netflix and other content on your Ipad abroad also… A must for an ExPat like me

Cheeryguy
    Participant

If using a laptop Anchor Free Expat Shield is superb, and on an iPad try UKbest VPN, it’s free, your just need to change the password every day.

northseatiger
    Participant

I use http://www.viewtvabroad.com – highly legal – even works on my ipad so you can get iplayer, skygo etc – i think its 5 or 6 pounds a month.

stevescoots
    Participant

I use 12VPN mainly for my china trips, works fine anywhere

stuartv
    Participant

I use http://www.witopia.net for my VPN on my iPad and laptop. Some hotels will have a block on their router to prevent this, but generally I can download BBC programmes and watch Sky from anywhere in the World.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls