Asiana Flight 214 Crashes at SFO

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

I don’t think you can blame the CC for people “too stupid ” enough to retrieve their luggage……

And I’m using the phrase ” too stupid” as a compliment……seeing the pictures of the interior, I can’t believe anybody on that aircraft didn’t understand the imminent danger …..as I’ve said, the FAA should now look at prosecuting those people who had luggage with them….and make it a high profile….make them an example case in the media spotlight !!

I can understand the CC’s dilemma though…..If you are manning an emergency exit door, you are basically chucking people of the aircraft….you don’t have time to start debating and negotiating with clearly ignorant and stupid people….further risking other passenger’s life’s

Never saw the boy with the roller case, BUT I would be charging him with endangering the lives of others under the relevant aviation act!

StandingThemUp
    Participant

To be clear I am not opining that the CC did a bad job, it may have been the best they could manage under the circumstances.

But if you get people evacuating with roller cases and other personal possessions, I don’t see how one can say they did a great job. Great, IMHO, is everyone off ASAP without possessions.

Conshaldow, I believe that manhandling may be necessary, for example if someone ‘freezes’ at the top of a slide. Cabin crew are not there to ‘advise’ in an emergency, they are the commanders delegated representatives and give instructions with that authority.

Having said that, I do empathize with the dilemma of dealing with people who seem to have a death wish.

I’ve only seen smoke on an aircraft once and that was whilst airborne (and turned out not to be a fire, but some oil in meals cooking off.)

But if it had been on the ground, that sight of that grey wall rolling up the aisle would have motivated me to get off in nanoseconds.

At the risk of being cynical, I think the rate at which the fire developed was probably the reason some many survived (and of course the durability of the 777 airframe.)

EU_Flyer
    Participant

2 points.

1. The fact the cabin crew managed to get off the aircraft all living passengers, many of whom would have been injured, terrified, disorientated is a credit to them 100%.

2. The fact that some passengers took hand luggage with them is VERY disturbing. This isn’t a racial jab at Koreans or Asians, but from my experience Asian cabin crew tend to be less willing to say NO to a passenger than their western counterparts. So, faced with a passenger holding a wheelie at the door, I suppose an Asiana flight attendant may have been less willing to grab it and fling it away from the door than their Qantas colleagues did during the A380 evac in Singapore a few years back. According to reports from that flight (the Captain’s book about the incident) Qantas cabin crew didn’t allow ANY pax to take cabin luggage when evacuating.

These are just my personal thoughts. I’d be interested to see what the forum think, particularly the cabin crew members on here.

StandingThemUp
    Participant

“1. The fact the cabin crew managed to get off the aircraft all living passengers, many of whom would have been injured, terrified, disorientated is a credit to them 100%.”

+1

conshaldow
    Participant

“1. The fact the cabin crew managed to get off the aircraft all living passengers, many of whom would have been injured, terrified, disorientated is a credit to them 100%.”

+2

Any opinions on this rumor that one of the two girls killed in the crash was actually killed after a collision with an emergency services vehicle responding to the accident. Scary thought.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

“Asiana attendant describes dramatic evacuation”

In this interview the Asiana flight attendant and cabin manager lee yoon Hye describes what happened when the B777 crashed.

Apparently two of the evacuation slides inflated inside the B777’s cabin, pinning two attendants to the floor.

Staff members had to deflate the slides with an axe so as to rescue their colleagues one of whom “seemed to be choking beneath the weight of a slide.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/ap/transportation/asiana-says-pilot-had-little-experience-on-777s/nYf7h/

StandingThemUp
    Participant

Two slides inflating inside and pinning crew members down certainly was not helpful to the general evacuation effort.

bacrew1
    Participant

“”1. The fact the cabin crew managed to get off the aircraft all living passengers, many of whom would have been injured, terrified, disorientated is a credit to them 100%.”
    +3

Scary about the slide info… so the crew did an AMAZING job then.. seeing as they were 2 colleagues down (due to being pinned down by slides that deployed INSIDE the plane) during the evacuation… I take my hat off to them and wish everyone a speedy recovery!

millionsofmiles
    Participant

The two slides inflating in the cabin could have been real killing machines….an escape system killing those it is designed to save.

I ask myself how and why this can happen, since usually the doors need to be open for the slides to inflate…??? any experts here?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“so the crew did an AMAZING job then” – all lives saved is the primary goal.

Before there is a round of back slapping, I think both the cause of the crash and the cause of the slides inflating inside the aircraft needs to be established. Was it crew / Boeing / equipment … faults

StandingThemUp
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 08/07/2013 16:29 GMT

+1

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was wondering about the slides? Normally they are operated from a height of 6-8 meters I guess, but in this case the drop was much reduced due to the absence of the undercarriage, having been ripped off. so I’m guessing it was more of a “walk” than a “slide”?

Secondly, while the reasons for not taking your hand-baggage off are clear, I don’t think it is a prosecutable offense to disobey the CC’s instructions. I’m no legal eagle, but i would have thought it possible to prosecute if your actions endanger someone else’s life, so that is maybe the answer.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

A slide needs to fall 90 degrees down from the door sill for the inflation to be activated. With the fuselage the right side up I am at a loss to understand how it could inflate inside the cabin as it would fall 270 degrees in the wrong direction.
    On the subject of the crew not stopping passengers taking their luggage, the poster claiming that the cabin crew had not done their job correctly maybe needs to consider how passengers flaunt safety rules during normal operations. ( some contributors to this forum on other threads have stated how they “choose” to interpret these rules to suit themselves when is suits them.) Have a look a the utube clip of this aircraft crashing, and imagine how you would react? I

Hermes1964
    Participant

The fact is planes don’t evacuate themselves!

The attached link has a very interesting interview with the TWA crew that evacuated an L1011 at JFK in very difficult circumstances, including an internally inflating slide and passengers with luggage! I think it illustrates the importance of assertive direction in an emergency. It also shows you can’t judge the CC on whether or not people exit with luggage.

http://www.twaflight843.com/

For me the interviews emphasise the importance of being familiar enough with safety procedures as a passenger to have a reasonable chance of doing the right thing if required – and for showing the crew a bit of respect.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“and for showing the crew a bit of respect.” – only a bit?? All aircraft crew should be shown a lot of respect because it will be their combined years of training that saves lives.

My discussion is to enable pax panicking/rushing to push their way out, not only should they listen to crew, they should adopt their own drill to make them focus and leaving the aircraft in an orderly, but hasty manner.

I wonder how many passengers have tried to get out of their seat without realising their belts are still fastened.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls