Asiana Flight 214 Crashes at SFO

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)

• Xuluman
    Participant

Good point. It is not possible to enforce the rule. If a passenger gets to the doorway carrying luggage, they cannot just dump it without blocking the exit for the others behind.

Really selfish behaviour, but these people don’t understand their actions. I’m sure the last man out with flames on his arse and smoke in his lungs would rather you left your knickers in the overhead.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Please G-d I never have to find out. But, I would probably grab my passport and mobile phone – but wouldn’t attempt to take any bags. BUT, I hope never to find out.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

As a frequent flyer I often wonder which is the safest section of the aircraft in the event of an unfortunate incident like this one. The general wisdom seems to be that the rear is the safest, but not this time!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/us/san-francisco-plane-crash.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Not everyone here will know of http://aviation-safety.net/index.php – which I have always found the most useful source when trying to find the cause of incidents involving aircraft.

canucklad
    Participant

StandingThem Up…..”When I see a evacuating passenger with a roller suitcase, it makes my blood run cold”

I would go further than that……..As long as it can be proven that the crew went through the correct safety demonstration, then these people should be identified and prosecuted!

Agree with Martyn, Passport ,phone, wallet and that’s it !

I’m afraid it’s just indicative of how selfish people have generally become since the advent of smart phones!

StandingThemUp
    Participant

Unless you have your passport, phone and wallet on your person, even that would be a no go for me. You could be blocking others.

I tend to keep my wallet, with passports, on my person when landing, I’d leave the rest behind without thought.

Papillion53
    Participant

Nothing, but nothing is worth hesitating for one second to retrieve. I’m with StandingThemUp totally, get yourself out of there. Everything else can be replaced!

My DH always has our passports and wallet on him as “STU” 😉 :-))) does on landing, but he would never think about retrieving them if he didn’t.

Heard today that it is two young Chinese girls who have tragically lost their lives – I think they were part of a group on their way for summer exchanges in the USA. Very sad and so much to live for.

canucklad
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion, yes I totally agree, i usually already have these items on my person…If you have to retrieve them then it’s an absolute no no……

conshaldow
    Participant

If you have to evacute the plane i’d hope people had enough sense to just get the hell out! So what if you have £££’s or a passport or important document. Your life (and those of your fellow passengers) are much more valuable than a piece of paper.

I have to say though, if there is only 2 fatalities as now widely reported, then the cabin crew deserve massive praise considering the facts mentioned above about passengers with hand luggage. Clearly the CC know how to get them out in a quick yet safe manner, despite the few morons hellbent on retrieving their belongings.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I appreciate that an evacuation is something that hopefully none of us will experience. However, putting into perspective, it is extremely important to have a drill and not panic.

By keeping my passport and phone in the seat pocket, this is my drill if G-D forbid something happens. In the same way during the safety demo, I feel for the life jacket and look up to where the masks drop – this is my way of familiarising myself with the aircraft (even though I fly as a passenger and pilot).

Having a drill and avoiding panic is vitally important, hence for me, I am prepared to unfasten seat beat, lift myself out of the seat, grab my phone/passport and file off in an orderly fashion WHILST FOLLOWING THE CABIN CREW INSTRUCTIONS.

There is absolutely zero reason to take anything from the overhead bins…. or under the seat…..

Common sense / using your ears are probably the most valuable assets in an evacuation – which I hope never to need to experience…

millionsofmiles
    Participant

What I dont understand is that two days later, runways remain closed:

“Following Saturday’s accident….all runways at SFO were closed and all flights grounded”

Why cant they operate at least on a reduced schedule?

conshaldow
    Participant

I believe the “sea-wall” at the beginning of the main runway has been damaged. May be that no flights can arrive/depart until this has been resolved. Not confirmed, just my opinion.

bacrew1
    Participant

“My point is simply that you cannot praise CC for a great job, when the pax took luggage with them”

standingthemup… seriously?? Are you for real? I’m absolutely astounded by your comment!?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some pictures just released show the interior and exterior state of the B777 after the crash.

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/07/8-photos-of-the-asiana-airlines-crash-from-ntsb-you-must-see/

conshaldow
    Participant

bacrew1, i agree. Short of manhandling the passengers out the door, what else can they do but advise them on how to get out the aircraft as quickly and safely as possible.

A passenger may decide to stay in his seat and be left to his fate. Should the CC be scorned for this also? There is a point where the CC responsibility ends and the individual responsibility begins.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls