Asiana Flight 214 Crashes at SFO

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Amazing and very well done. Just glad I wasn’t on the plane!

Vertrek
    Participant

Despite of all the theories of what might cause the crash, don’t forget to remember the bravery of the FAs and that 305 people are safe.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/09/world/asia/asiana-flight-attendant

MartynSinclair
    Participant

………. & currently 3 dead!

canucklad
    Participant

And the incredible stupidity of American News broadcasters..

http://news.sky.com/story/1115903/asiana-sues-over-racist-names-in-tv-report

pdtraveller
    Participant

Can’t say I think the names were racist. In this country they would be seen as satirical. Viciously so perhaps, but then we have a reputation for hard hitting and often very funny satire.

It was not clever on the part of the transportation bods to let this out and downright stupid of the TV channel to broadcast. How in the name of all sense did it get past layers of people let alone be read by the anchor.

Despite the tragic background lets be honest who laughed… I know I did.

judynagy
    Participant

The thought of people grabbing their stuff as the plane crashes does indeed make your blood run cold. I live in SF and we are populated with a huge number of people that do not think beyond the end of their noses, whether driving, lining up, at a buffet, anywhere at all … they think of nobody but themselves. I do believe that the cabin crew should have grabbed the luggage at the door and tossed it, but doubt if that was a viable alternative at the time. It was a horrible crash and my heart goes out to those injured plus all the cabin crew who undoubtedly did their best and have to live with all the expressions of public opinion.

Hermes1964
    Participant

From the reports it seems that the CC did indeed do a fantastic job. It is however a cause for concern that the evacuation was delayed and apparently dependent on a command from the flight deck that had to be sought by the purser.

None of us who were not on the flight can imagine the ordeal of the crash, but its hard to believe that the need to evacuate was not apparent from the extreme events during the landing.

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about culturally-based deference in the flight deck resulting in lack of challenge in situations where imminent danger was clear. I hope that this issue will also be addressed from the perspective of cabin safety. A 90 second day in evacuation in some crash landings would have resulted in very severe loss of life.

In this instance I think it would be wrong to question the actions of the CC, but right to question the training they receive and whether they are empowered to take life-saving decisions without asking for permission.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hermes1964 – 17/07/2013 04:45 GMT
    From the reports it seems that the CC did indeed do a fantastic job. It is however a cause for concern that the evacuation was delayed and apparently dependent on a command from the flight deck that had to be sought by the purser.

Yeah Hermes, I heard that a couple of days ago on the radio whilst not really paying attention, that the crew had to ask the flight desk for ‘permission’ to evacuate, and I thought I must have misheard it. Surely the decision to evacuate should be the CC? What would happen if the flight crew had perished in this crash?

Can other CC advise that in these circumstances it would be their call to get people off, or is there a chain of command?

canucklad
    Participant

Totally agree with you AOTG…

Remember the Turkish crash at Schipol …… taking iinto account the situation with the secured cockpit doors….

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I know this is slightly off topic, but in relation to the US news broadcasting the wrong names of the crew, we had a similar prank in Sydney.

In Australia we had a hugely popular tv show called The Chaser.

Not long after 9/11 they managed to book a seat on a Qantas flight under the name of Wrist/Terry Mr. Mr ‘Wrist’ checked in (online?) but no showed at the gate. The Chaser people were there at the gate and filmed the poor Qantas employee announcing on the PA to the entire domestic terminal:

“Would Mr Terry Wrist travelling to Melbourne please make his way to gate 10 immediately”.

It was priceless.

We are used to hearing ‘Only in America’, but I think in this case it’s ‘Only in Australia’.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ AlexUpgrade77 – 17/07/2013 09:37 GMT

I know that one should adopt a suitably po-faced tut, tut stance towards such a juvenile prank but it had me cr*pp*ing myself with laughter.

Hermes1964
    Participant

No offence Alexupgrade77 but could we get back to the point. It’s a serious one which it would help us all to understand.

In particular I would like to understand whether I will need to initiate an evacuation in an emergency if I fly on certain carriers ( and I forming my views on which ones they may be) rather than await instructions from the crew.

canucklad
    Participant

Although I posted the link and made comment about the stupidity of our American cousins, especially since I have a wee bit of an understanding about how checks are made prior to broadcasting……..So I too have to admit to chuckling, not at the names, but more at the hapless TV company…
    Onto your very relevant point Hermes, If I was on that aircraft and sitting in an EE row…. Firstly I would take my lead from the crew member responsible for that exit……Looking at the sheer state of the Asiana cabin, I definitely would have been assertively recommending an immediate evacuation..
    I would not have under-mined the CC’s position….

But then, here’s the rub of the green……do any of us really know how we would react??
    And yet, I sit in EE rows more than most…..’

Hermes1964
    Participant

Canuklad
    Absolutely agree – who knows. The best we can do is have a mental plan of what we might do if we are able to keep it all together. Perhaps we should always assume we will have to take the lead and plan accordingly, but obviously following instructions when provided (including ” leave everything behind”.)
    Safe travels

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls