Airports opening, airlines flying – the re-emerging of aviation.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 192 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1001044]No one is insured for travel, or getting caught up in the Pandemic, due to new Policy exclusions.[/quote]

By the way….this is also untrue. I had an email from my insurer (Staysure) some time ago reminding me that “all of our travel insurance policies cover emergency medical expenses and repatriation for coronavirus (COVID-19)”. I was advised that if I embarked on new travel contrary to Government advice then I would not be covered, however for people stranded abroad (of which there are many) then cover continues as per the policy terms.

Plus to comply with law I have medical insurance in Dubai, it is fully operative, and covers any expats working there who get caught up in the pandemic.

[quote quote=1001044]For the UK, the Airlines are putting the Cart before the Horse, and trying to push the government into relaxing and allowing travel.[/quote]

Airlines are businesses, employing real people, and many are at the precipice. Of course they are pushing to get their businesses going. What would you suggest they do – sit back and watch their businesses go bust because a few people on the forums are anti travel and thing everything should be shut down?

2 users thanked author for this post.

RoyJones
    Participant

[quote quote=1001073]I had an email from my insurer (Staysure) some time ago reminding me that “all of our travel insurance policies cover emergency medical expenses and repatriation for coronavirus (COVID-19)”. I was advised that if I embarked on new travel contrary to Government advice then I would not be covered, however for people stranded abroad (of which there are many) then cover continues as per the policy terms.[/quote]

Most travel policies limit trips to somewhere between 30 and 90 days. So including “Government advice” clauses I would think very few people are now covered.

The hospitality industry including airlines, hotels and restaurants are in a “no win” situation. If they stay closed there are fixed costs with no money coming in. If they open the income generated will not cover their additional costs. Only when a majority feel safe will they make money again.

The airlines have a worse conundrum. If they don’t operate a competitor may get enough traffic to at least break even. If they do then all of them will make even bigger losses Not that I am a fan of the Chinese Govt but by limiting the number of flights each airline can fly they are sharing out the paucity of passengers. Regulation may help otherwise the best subsidised airline will prevail.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1001074]Most travel policies limit trips to somewhere between 30 and 90 days. So including “Government advice” clauses I would think very few people are now covered.[/quote]

Any trips under insurance policies from members of the ABI are being extended for at least 60 days where travellers are stranded. The requirement in most cases is to return home at the earliest opportunity.

For people working extended periods abroad, some will have local health insurance too. Plus many Governments are a bit more robust, they don’t let insurers change their terms as soon as a problem arises, for example UAE Government has directed insurers that all Covid 19 claims are to be paid out (if they want to remain licensed, that is…..).

SimonS1
    Participant

Good to hear Boris on TV right now confirming that:

1. Levels of infection per 1000 people have fallen by about 70% over last month
    2. Do not foresee a second spike, 5 tests are met and lockdown can safely be eased further
    3. Social distancing reduced from 2 meters to 1 meter + from 4th July
    4. Hotels, pubs, hairdressers etc can reopen from 4th July
    5. Schools to fully reopen in September for all pupils, with some of course back already

We already heard that shielding of vulnerable will end at end of July, and that the inward 14 day quarantine is due to be reviewed on 29th June.

Presumably MarcusGB will be along to pretend that this is in some way the Government introducing a new lockdown, however for most others (including HM Opposition) it seems to be positive news and another step towards getting things moving again in the UK.

1 user thanked author for this post.

RoyJones
    Participant

[quote quote=1001075]Any trips under insurance policies from members of the ABI are being extended for at least 60 days where travellers are stranded. The requirement in most cases is to return home at the earliest opportunity.[/quote]

Simon,

Can you honestly say you have been unable to return home at the earliest opportunity? I can’t think of any reason other than being in jail.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

SimonS1 wrote
    “We already heard that shielding of vulnerable will end at end of July, and that the inward 14 day quarantine is due to be reviewed on 29th June.”

I still find it totally incredible that somebody landing in the UK on Sunday 28th June will have to self quarantine for 14 days, but land 1 day later on Monday 29th and likelihood is no quarantine. You could not make it up 🙁

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1001077][/postquote]

No, because I was at home from mid July.

However there are plenty of people in non mainstream locations that have struggled to return home. Places like Ghana and Nigeria for example, and other places where borders are not open.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1001079]I still find it totally incredible that somebody landing in the UK on Sunday 28th June will have to self quarantine for 14 days, but land 1 day later on Monday 29th and likelihood is no quarantine. You could not make it up 🙁[/quote]

To be honest you are just speculating, because until the revised arrangements (if indeed they are revised) are announced no-one will know whether that is actually the case or whether quarantine will be relaxed for anyone already back and showing no symptoms.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1001082][/postquote]

Hi SimonS1,

Not just speculating, I wrote to my MP Michael Fabricant last week to ask if my interpretation is correct. I advised him that I had tried to find the answer on http://www.gov.uk, and this is his reply.

“Thank you very much for your e-mail regarding quarantine regulations. I am grateful to you for contacting me on this important issue.
    On behalf of other constituents, I am currently in correspondence with the relevant Government Minister about this matter and I will ensure you are sent a copy of the reply as soon as it is received.
    In the meantime, please keep up to date with the Government’s daily press briefings and the website: http://www.gov.uk.
    Thank you, again, for taking the time to write to me and please do stay safe.”

As I am sure you will understand, this is a reply not an answer. I can assume that nobody knows, and that what I suggested is correct.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1001087][/postquote]

If no-one knows, how could what you suggested be correct?

The reply from MP is typical politics these days….i) avoid expressing a personal view in case it conflicts with what you are told to say, ii) pass it on to someone else, iii) probably you will never hear again so direct constituent to some link online to shut them up.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

SimonS1,wrote:
    “If no-one knows, how could what you suggested be correct?”

Simples. Current statement is that quarantine is 14 days for arrivals between 8th June and 28th June. The period is 14 days. Very clearly, if there is no extension, then quarantine ends for arrivals 29 June or after.

I know that the reply from the MP is cr*p. That is why I posted it.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1001091][/postquote]

Except that they could quite easily announce that there is no need for anyone to quarantine after 29th unless displaying symptoms. Or they may decide not to make any changes at all until mid July on grounds that they would look completely stupid to remove it so quickly. Or they may just wait and see the outcome of the court action by BA and co so they can blame the judges in the event of a spike in cases.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

SimonS1,

I am not trying to speculate about what may happen in future. I am only commenting on the current, known, situation.

I agree that each of the 3 guesses that you make may happen. I am sure that the government will want to minimise loss of whatever remaining face they have, so your final scenario is probably best for Doris & Co.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Received an email from Virgin today “Come Fly With Us”. The email continued,

“So we’re incredibly glad to share the news that starting from August, we’re planning to return to 17 destinations on our flying schedule. They’re all available to book now, along with our flights to New York JFK, Los Angeles and Hong Kong, which are starting from 20th July.”

Tried to make a booking for this weekend to New York and hey ho, I went all the way through to the booking page with no suggestion I should check for any border restriction, quarantine rules. The booking fare clearly was non refundable. Part of the booking entailed a passport check.

Virgin may be ‘planning’ to return to 17 longhaul destinations, but should the airline be selling tickets to UK nationals who at the moment are unable to travel to most of the 17 destinations or at least place a warning on the website confirming the fact.

BA are in the same boat, but are not marketing false hope to passengers.

I am as keen as the next person to restart my business longhaul travel, but irrespective of our own risk assessment, the fact remains, longhaul, UK nationals are not currently wanted. Should airlines be selling tickets without any warnings?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1001250]I am as keen as the next person to restart my business longhaul travel, but irrespective of our own risk assessment, the fact remains, longhaul, UK nationals are not currently wanted. Should airlines be selling tickets without any warnings?[/quote]

Yes, some of the airlines seem to be engaging in shady practices like the attempts to issue vouchers instead of cash refunds.

On the other hand I suppose travel has always had an element of buyer beware about it. For example I could book a ticket to Nigeria but then be refused entry due to lack of correct documents or permissions to clear the border.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls