Airports opening, airlines flying – the re-emerging of aviation.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

The Forum has been tackling many subjects recently, and as always, the time and effort of many is giving us insights to Airports or Airlines, who are beginning to move to readiness to re-start Operations.

If The Forum members do not mind, i suggest this as a Consolidation thread, where we can list our news, or information we come across, to assist us all.
    Otherwise, we may be in a situation of having lost info, with topics on one airport or Airline, on too many Threads

So, which Airports are starting to move to get traffic scheduled to start flying again? When?
    Which Airlines are re-starting scheduled flights, and when?

EG Amsterdam Schiphol, KLM, start More flights within the EU destinations, building flights between European Cities,
    SQ restarting Intra Asia flights for the SE / North Asia Region.
    Any Airlines restarting intercontinental flights?

It seems a slow considered approach is developing Worldwide, and some key routes and Airports are building up for June / July scheduled services.
    This looks to be within Europe initially for us. It maybe where we can try to start flying again slowly, carefully, in a controlled manner, then expand this on Medium to Long Haul travel

Clearly, the existing UK Government advice “Not to travel” in the UK does not match the re-start of Aviation, in Public Health terms.
    Many Borders of Countries Worldwide have “Closed” borders, even for transit, with such variable policies and procedures.If you fly from one country to another, there would have to be some uniformity and agreed border access, and mutual matching of Condition.
    Say the UK and Italy, Airports, Airlines and its citizens agreed equal access, and clear Policies and Procedures agreed to fly, and how we will fly with altered seating for Social distancing…
    Social distancing is to be applied by some Airlines, others outrightly say it is not viable.

As IATA have been discussing, there really does need to be a standardised set of Principle measures taken at Airports, and on Aircraft in Aviation as a whole. Uniformity. We need to lean and be aware of how travel is to be.

I hope this Thread will assist us all to consolidate this info in one area, and we can all add what we hear find, or informed of by our Airlines, FFP’s, a Geographical base of Information from around The World.

It is what we do best on the BT Forum, so please make a contribution of what you would like to highlight.

5 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

Great idea Marcus! So your point about SQ is correct, however the flip side to this is that if you land back into Singapore you have to go into a Government facility for 14 days at your own cost, therefore negating the opportunity to fly so there has to be a lot more cooperation from Governments first to get the world moving again, but I for one welcome to move by airlines to get us back to a semblance of normality….

esselle
    Participant

I think data will have an important role to play over time.

As humans, we spend our lives consciously or unconsciously evaluating risk and making decisions or judgements based on those evaluations.

If ( and it’s a big if ) reliable data sources can demonstrate you are less likely to be infected if you fly on carrier A vs carrier B, or flying from airport X vs airport Y, imagine how powerful the marketing messages could be!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=999132]if you land back into Singapore you have to go into a Government facility for 14 days at your own cost[/quote]

In evaluating travel risk – Singapore recently jailed a Fedex pilot who broke Singapore’s strict quarantine laws.

Inquisitive
    Participant

SQ continued to fly intercontinental although very very limited frequency.

There is nothing wrong for incoming passengers to have 14 days quarantine, that is a very positive action taken by government.

From 2nd June, Changi will allow transit passengers.

traveldoc1
    Participant

Finnair are restarting a limited service on 1st July – mainly to Asian destinations.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

When major hubs like BKK/SIN/HKG reopen for transit passengers) then it will become easier to reach those destinations which have few direct/indirect flights from Europe.

Here I’m thinking of Mynamar/Yangon whose nearest main gateway would be BKK.

J_Pathmore
    Participant

Going to sound like a stuck record but the big surge in travel will be when many intercontinental borders re-open. If for no other reason, when the EU opens their external borders they will signal to their populations that things have gotten better, and this will lead to an uptick in demand. Similar logic prevails with the US. Asia will be tough, but I’d imagine once the EU and US are open without real issue, much of Asia will feel confident and follow suit.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Thanks for the information so far. At least we now know Singapore is a good transit airport heading East if needed.

KLM have been flying a daily service to European cities (Most), including London, since the Outbreak.
    Schiphol and KLM appear to have an flights daily to Atlanta, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Bangkok (Cargo only at present), Osaka, and a few others.

KLM.com

…have a section of flights operating clearly posted as “Flight Updates”, daily.
    KLM have policies and procedures On Board, laid out on their website.

They have also converted some planes to carry baggage on the cabin seats as well as under when a Cargo only flight, on passenger Aircraft.
    More scheduled flights are being phased in June and July.

Schiphol Airport have Social distancing measures in place through the whole airport, and it has been ready for some weeks for all required measures all through the airport.
    The Dutch Public Health advice has been used to construct new policy and procedures, check ins, Boarding, security etc. Clear signage is established.

So if any European airport is ready first with the “New way we travel”, it has been ready some weeks.
    Probably one of the safer airports, but also So large, multi terminals, upgraded in the last years, with much space to be able to accommodate Social Distancing, and safety.
    A Far cry from LHR that have done little.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=999228]Going to sound like a stuck record but the big surge in travel will be when many intercontinental borders re-open. If for no other reason, when the EU opens their external borders they will signal to their populations that things have gotten better, and this will lead to an uptick in demand. Similar logic prevails with the US. Asia will be tough, but I’d imagine once the EU and US are open without real issue, much of Asia will feel confident and follow suit.[/quote]

I’d add in this, social distancing is just not economically viable in the long term nor is democratically right to remove the ability of our fellow citizens the ability to travel due to what will be the inevitable increase in prices if a 1 to 3 ratio is adopted.
    Ryanair for all its faults should be congratulated as a business that not only allowed people to travel to rather obscure places, but as a result created wealth in those communities as a result of market they created.

IMO, there;s too much talk of adjusting to this “New Norm” and no where near enough positive talk of getting back to a BAU (or as close too) situation .
    Go after the virus, hunt it down and burn it out

For the travel industry to survive, without the global loss of millions of jobs , and millions more in the supporting sectors , our governments need to collectively get their fingers out their arses

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

According to GDS info, SAA are going to recommence service JNB LHR on 01 JUN
    SA 234 D JNB B LHR 2 2000 0625+1 0 01JUN20 23OCT20 333 11:25
    SA 235 D LHR 2 JNB A 1900 0705+1 0 02JUN20 24OCT20 333 11:05

The flight are bookable and in fact have (a few) pax booked on them

I AM ONLY THE MESSENGER!

The same source shows BA starting on 01 JUL with both LHR JNB and LHR CPT

J_Pathmore
    Participant

Capetonianm, I also am a Capetonian, my parents still live in Cape Town and have been trying to leave the country for weeks now…

I’m sure you’re aware of the ridiculous SA lockdown; unless there’s something that SAA knows that we don’t travel is only meant to resume internationally from “Stage 1”. SA will hopefully move to Stage 3 beginning of June, but who knows how long it will take before they allow international travel.

It’s rather disturbing that SA is not allowing even a few flights in and out per week, so that citizens and legal residents can move around. I hope your report is accurate.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have friends in the same situation at both ends of the route.

All I can tell you is that it is bookable in the GDS.
    2 SA2004 Y 01JUN 1 CPTJNB HK1 1555 1750 738
    3 SA 234 Y 01JUN 1 JNBLHR HK1 2000 0625+1 333
    and there are bookings on those flights. Whether the flights will operate is another story, sadly my money would on ‘no’.

Good luck to you and all others in the same situation. I repeat, I am only the messenger!

SimonS1
    Participant

Good to hear that Dubai will be re-opening this week for entry.

https://gulfnews.com/uae/government/business-activity-in-dubai-to-resume-from-6am-to-11pm-starting-may-27-1.1590425684348

EK has filed to start flights to Dublin from 17th June which should enable a transit to UK without quarantine.

1 user thanked author for this post.

J_Pathmore
    Participant

@Capetonianm – the answer became clear over the weekend. The SA government is now allowing citizens to leave South Africa for work/study/family reunion/residency/healthcare. This is a new announcement but makes sense. The question is will they allow airlines to operate passenger flights into and out of the country a few times per week so that South Africans can actually leave!? Let’s see…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls