Airports opening, airlines flying – the re-emerging of aviation.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 192 total)

• PeterCoultas
    Participant

MartynS: “Some countries take quarantine very seriously, others just play at it”…. so right, dappy nonsense about masks and not much else in the UK other than let everyone in without any check…. no wonder our figures for deaths are among the highest… we have been playing since the start…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thai Airways to further suspend international flights.

News emerging that Thai Airways will be suspending international flights to September 1 at least.

simeoncox
    Participant

I’m trying to get from BLR to CMB. Only an attempt to book a flight on SriLankan Airlines sets off an over-ride message that states that flights are unable to be booked up until mid-August. (I am able to book a flight in September, though.) This will be an ongoing process, I think, but there a no official notices from government since the original cessation of flights.

SimonS1
    Participant

If you believe this MIT Professor’s hypothesis your chances of getting Covid 19 on board are extremely small.

MIT Professor: Flights Booked to Capacity May Present 1-in-4,300 Chance of Contracting COVID-19

simeoncox
    Participant

On cursory reading of the article – and a scan of the comments – I concur with the baboons-and-dartboard synopsis. I didn’t bother to read the yet-to-be peer reviewed paper.

Have you considered why it is called ‘contact tracing’?

For as long as humans continue to touch each other (knowingly or not), the cycle of infection will not be broken. I am keeping my distance from everyone, and if I can’t, I either create a disposable barrier (gloves, mask) or clean points of contact (soap, disinfectant).

So far I have not had a sniffle in the 121 days I have been in lockdown. It works.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003858][/postquote]

I have not read the full article, but it seems to say that if you fly you have a 1 in 4,300 chance of contracting C-19. If the UK population is 64,500,000 and if all were on a plane then 15,000 would catch C-19.

Hang on. If UK has 64,500,000 population and 300,000 confirmed cases that is 1 in 215 so much safer to be in an aeroplane. QED.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003890][/postquote]

Well I haven’t had a sniffle either since returning to UK on 12th March. I haven’t yet worn gloves, a face cover in the supermarket only and the same level of hygiene as I normally deploy.

Not sure it proves very much, the number of cases in East Sussex (where I am) has averaged about 30 a week for some time now and without being complacent the probabilities are miniscule.

1 user thanked author for this post.

simeoncox
    Participant

@SimonS1,
    Fair enough, data set of two – East Sussex and Bangalore, 90 days exposure risk versus 120-odd days. I interact with food delivery services for less than 30 seconds once a day; with hotel staff twice per week; and with one barrow trader and two shopkeepers twice a week, so 60 contacts per month, baseline.

(I have no intention of getting desperately ill in India, and I am unwilling to travel long haul for the time being. I just want out of BLR (pop. 12 million) and into CMB (pop. 620,000), spend 14 days in quarantine there, then find somewhere nice to park myself for some months.)

SimonS1
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AF has said it will last four years.

Interviewed on LBC’s 97.3 breakfast show a few weeks ago Willy Walsh did not expect a return to normality for four years.

ASK1945
    Participant

Simeoncox wrote: “For as long as humans continue to touch each other (knowingly or not), the cycle of infection will not be broken. I am keeping my distance from everyone, and if I can’t, I either create a disposable barrier (gloves, mask) or clean points of contact (soap, disinfectant).”

We are definitely due for a second wave of infection (in my opinion) – quite possibly amongst the younger generations this time.

I live in a leafy suburb of NW London. The residential roads are fairly narrow. There is a paid-for Pool Party in a house nearby, with DJs, music and dancing going on at the moment, and since 12 noon. The area is packed with literally hundreds of young people (in their teens to 30s) milling around everywhere, no social distancing, no masks and no concern for the neighbours. There has been traffic chaos all day and no parking space for residents. The cars are generally “up-market” SUVs.

Apparently, the police have been called several times, but have said they are powerless to intervene.

simeoncox
    Participant

ASK1945, that will thin the buggers out and either open up new job vacancies or lighten up the job:applicant ratio.

simeoncox
    Participant

“Just seen the attached on Bloomberg. Not great reading really.”

@SimonS1
    , we’ve had such appraisals for months:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-14/coronavirus-means-that-air-travel-will-not-recover-until-2023/12247336

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004150][/postquote]

I am not sure you are right about the jobs – judging by the cars, they were mostly at the wealthier end of the spectrum.

BillShiphr
    Participant

Yeah, the airports will be opened soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls