Airports opening, airlines flying – the re-emerging of aviation.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 192 total)

• HarryMonk
    Participant

More and more airlines are announcing a resumption of flights but do they really want passengers? I am surprised they haven’t restarted earlier actually, unless a destination has specifically banned incoming flights.

For example a flight between London and the US. Most non-US passengers are not allowed entry to the US so cannot fly, some passengers will choose not to risk travel, the FCO advise all UK citizens against non-essential travel therefore travel insurance policies kick in. So the airline can now say to passengers, we are not making a refunds as we are flying, go claim from your insurance company, For those without insurance, well they will lose out. Either way the airline keeps the cash but keeps flying. Flying with lower costs that previously anticipated from lower fuel costs, less baggage to carry = even more fuel savings or more space for freight, less food & beverage and perhaps even reduced crewing amongst other savings. As a little bonus on top, unless people actively reclaim it, the APD of the no-shows could be kept by the airline, quite a nice sum on long-hauls and business class tickets.

So could less passengers mean more £££ ? Especially with the “busy” summer season coming up

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1000754]These are 2 separate issues.

1. removal of the ineffective and daft light touch UK quarantine rule – I agree with you, it’s likely to happen

2. ‘Air Bridges’ – on the basis the above happens, UK returns to open borders, the air bridge becomes nothing more than the UK pleading to foreign counties, ‘let UK nationals in’. The ‘air bridge’ into the UK becomes irrelevant.[/quote]

I dont think there will be too much need for pleading. Countries like Portugal, Greece and Spain benefit substantially from UK tourism and there comes a point where the financial realities of life take hold.

Provided the current consistent downward trend of infections continues I believe there will be a natural outcome.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good to see in the Times that the first reciprocal arrangements are indeed imminent.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/holidaymaker-air-bridges-expected-by-end-of-month-kl7db2l3n

Greece, Portugal, Spain, France, Gibraltar, Bermuda, BVI all mentioned.

SimonS1
    Participant

Reports emerging today that Emirates is hoping to establish air bridges to European countries. No names mentioned in this article but bearing in mind previous frequency of 11 daily between Dubai and London it may be reasonable to consider London as being a target.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transport/448286-emirates-reveals-plans-to-open-air-bridges-with-european-countries

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000946]11 daily between Dubai and London[/quote]

Arn’t a large % of passengers to/from Dubai transit passengers? Therefore the success of Emirates is not only achieving unrestricted access for passengers into the ME, but also being able to carry passengers onward through the ME hub, (quarantine free at the ultimate destination), that will be the challenging part.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000949][/postquote]

I’m confident the people in the Government looking at this will be considering that.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Unexpected change coming at LHR. American will move into Terminal 5, possibly next month.

MarcusGB
    Participant

It is confusing and this Government are managing this almost the opposite to other countries, introducing Lockdowns now, when they should have done same as Australia quickly and earlier.
    Yes, many Airlines are setting up their network to travel, but that is more in Europe, and some European countries have easier movement than from the UK, as we have gained a reputation for the virus being out of control!
    Not many want us in. Economics is starting to drive the situation, not protection of health.

No matter where you can grab a flight now, and its mostly just within the EU, you still have to return and isolate for 2 weeks.

There is strong advise just now of “Essential travel Only” defined in the Coronovirus legislation. You have to prove this with documents and proof of essential urgent required travel, by Airlines or Airports. Then you may well be caught on arrival with similar policies, as you will on return.
    Currently , you would have to isolate for 2 weeks if you were to travel now out, when you return to the UK.
    Unless matters changed, going on holiday is not included and you could be refused carriage at the Airport.

Countries are requiring “A Certificate or lab result stating you are Covid free, but must be issued within the last 72 hrs”!!!!

Unless you pay a Private Dr, you would not get a test result back in the UK, in time to fly, or gamble you would get it with a paid journey.

Further, Insurers have amended travel policies so you are NOT insured for any Pandemics in future, in any aspect at all.
    Many countries still will not admit UK Citizens, and i do ot blame them with our record of the virus management and one of the leading death rates Worldwide.

Australian Tourism Minister has stated Australia is unlikely to Open it’s borders before 2021!!! No Australians can fly out, no one in.
    Even between States there, is not permitted at the moment.

Australia is managing this very well, cautious and strict.

I May also try a short trip to Europe but not until KLM back on stream, and September onwards.

But Lounges are closed.
    Boarding for safety for seating at the back coming forwards.
    Surgical masks on.
    NO food or drinks on flights below 2.5 hrs (this is KLM and Air France), staff will not interact or provide contact services.
    So it will not be pleasant, and if middle seats are occupied on flights, then that is a hazard, despite HEPA filters.

Medium to Long haul will be without any of the normal perks, and food and drink will be on one pre-packed wrapped food tray.
    I certainly do not want to wear surgical masks for 17 hrs, with 12 hr flights and through airports both ways.

So be some time before i fly, and then probably a KLM trial to Amsterdam.

Remember, the virus is rising in North and South America, emerging slowly in Africa. Germany has a spike, 2.9 on the “R” scale, so their re-emerging has failed.
    We have not seen but will within a month, if it has re-emerged here, but people flouting the rules now anyway, if you look at TV with people in Cities, parks just ignoring it all.
    Be some weeks before we see the effects of unlocking for economic reasons more.

Hospitals, and Medical and Nursing colleagues here, are simply waiting for the virus to spike here again. Not IF, but when.

I shall be waiting until this current situation has settled in Europe.
    I certainly do not want to fly with Airlines that are dressed up like a post Chernobyl event, or go through airports and fly in an ineffective mask.
    There is NO protection against the virus, measuring 1 micron, and the masks surgical or medical, cover max 3-8.
    It simply may well stop you transmitting out.
    I don’t have the need nor do i want to travel without food and drink on board certainly longer flights, and flying Business class short haul will make no difference at all, a pointless costs currently.

For the UK, the Airlines are putting the Cart before the Horse, and trying to push the government into relaxing and allowing travel.

This virus is spread by people travelling, the surfaces they touch and carry it in and out of countries even asymptomatic.

No matter who says it, especially the UK Government, i am not taking the risk for some time.
    When i do, it will be probably to Amsterdam with KLM, and via Schiphol airport, that have one of the best systems operating for some months for this.

Meanwhile, Hospitals and Nursing and Medical professions are simply awaiting the next wave of this virus.
    We know a little more of treating the symptoms but there is no proven treatment overall to cure you once infected.
    There is no vaccine, and even when there is, we need to be very clear of its side effects or reactions, so Safety is an issue.

The Virus remains out there. Let us remember, that it has been stated, that many infections were brought back y people returning from Spain.
    So i will not be taking flights out there, or flying until it settles in Europe.

The virus is now just hitting South America, well settled and out of control in N America, and pending for Africa regions.

No one is insured for travel, or getting caught up in the Pandemic, due to new Policy exclusions.
    The “Air Bridges” will be the way forwards, but if we still have no testing and precautions at UK Airports, unlike others in Europe, or Worldwide, the virus will travel, and re emerge.
    These risks are extremely high and likely. No treatment founded, still little defined on transmission, no cure, no Vaccine.
    The virus remains there, and we may have to live with it for a long time.
    This virus kills.
    This is a a Global Health Crisis. Nothing has “Stopped The World” in my lifetime such as this.

Hence Australia stating they are doubtful Borders will re-open until 2021!!!

Be prepared to meet all conditions, countries, airports and Airlines all that differ, and stay at home for 14 days once travelled.
    Currently it is not likely to be getting a report in the UK and be able to produce a negative “Certificate” for a covid test, on arrival somewhere, timed no less than 72 hrs previously!

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

The above seems to me to be a fair summary of the current situation in the UK. Frankly a mismanaged mess with every likelihood of a further virus spike(s).
    It seem very unlikely that any properly governed country would agree to an ‘airbridge’ with the UK in the near future.

The Australian position has moved on somewhat from that mentioned in that the state borders are reopening with the South Australian and Tasmanian borders open. It now seems possible that the AU international border will partially open in November with also a fair chance that the airbridge with NZ established prior to Christmas.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1001051]There is strong advise just now of “Essential travel Only” defined in the Coronovirus legislation. You have to prove this with documents and proof of essential urgent required travel, by Airlines or Airports. Then you may well be caught on arrival with similar policies, as you will on return.[/quote]

As others have suggested, there appears no definition regarding what constitutes “essential travel” and I have not read or heard of any passengers being challenged. Travelling for a summer holiday, clearly appears acceptable as essential travel.

I was surprised how easy it was for Wizz Air to make the decision to restart some of their schedule on May 1st and July 20th will be another key date, when Virgin test the long haul sectors. Spain wanted to kick start their economy by allowing UK citizens with holidays homes in, lets see if Orlando, Florida, feels the same way.

I hope Virgin can fill their seats, but as of today, when nearly everything west of Dublin and east of Europe is closed off to most UK citizens, as MarcusGB comments, the world is sending a strong message to the UK, our citizens are currently not wanted in their country.

As for the air bridges, one way airbridges into the UK have existed throughout the pandemic (excepting the forced 2 week self isolation currently in force). Flights from China still arrive daily with passengers allowed to enter the UK without too much difficulty.

I just hope our scientific and medical advisers have made the correct calls and the UK airlines, who are integral to re ensuring our economy moves forward, have not been pushing too much too quickly.

One final point, if the 2 metre rule is reduced this week, how much work is going to be needed to change all the markings covering ALL retail and public spaces in the UK.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi Martyn
    You have wrongly attributed to me your above quote.
    The wise words were from MarcusGB-mine was a mear supporting role!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1001060]Hi Martyn
    You have wrongly attributed to me your above quote.
    The wise words were from MarcusGB-mine was a mear supporting role![/quote]

Hi cwoodward – this is a fault in the BT software. When the quote function is used, sometimes the quote is attributed to the wrong poster. I have emailed BT about it.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    Sorry – we will ask the IT people to look at it, but for them to solve it they will need to know
    1. the device you were using
    2. the browser
    3. whether there were problems with intermittency of internet connection
    4. several other things I will then add to this when I’ve spoken with them!
    thank you
    Tom

SimonS1
    Participant

Honestly Marcus I understand your desire to be the forum’s doom monger but I sometimes wonder whether you are on a different planet.

[quote quote=1001044]It is confusing and this Government are managing this almost the opposite to other countries, introducing Lockdowns now[/quote]

Funny, I heard Matt Hancock on TV last night clearly stating that today the Government will be announcing the next stages of removing the lockdown, including reducing distancing to 1m and relaxing shielding requirements. What lockdowns are they introducing now?

[quote quote=1001044]some European countries have easier movement than from the UK, as we have gained a reputation for the virus being out of control![/quote]

Luckily most countries have a more reasoned approach to understanding the stats, they can see that numbers have steadily reduced and are under control, that is why countries like Spain are opening up to UK travellers and air gateways are being discussed.

[quote quote=1001044]You have to prove this with documents and proof of essential urgent required travel, by Airlines or Airports.[/quote]

With respect, complete rubbish. UK Border is not policing “essential travel”, it is a personal decision. “Urgent” is made up by you by the way. The Government have published a checklist for guidance at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-essential-international-travel-guidance. There is no requirement for you to prove anything with documents, so why make things up?

[quote quote=1001051]No matter where you can grab a flight now, and its mostly just within the EU…Countries are requiring “A Certificate or lab result stating you are Covid free, but must be issued within the last 72 hrs”!!!![/quote]

Good to hear from my team in Dubai yesterday that UK residents and tourists could return to Dubai and quarantine is being lifted. Government of Dubai is negotiating a corridor with UK. Few countries are requiring a certificate, in case of Dubai you have a choice to take a test on arrival.

[quote quote=1001044]Germany has a spike, 2.9 on the “R” scale, so their re-emerging has failed.[/quote]

Very sensationalist, probably best if you read one of the many articles explaining why this is a statistical blip related to one regional outbreak and why the R number is a blunt instrument. Which is why Germany has not been sealed off…..

[quote quote=1001044]For the UK, the Airlines are putting the Cart before the Horse, and trying to push the government into relaxing and allowing travel.[/quote]

Travel is already allowed. They are trying to push the government into removing the new quarantine regulations which were a little perverse at this point (and will undoubtedly be removed either as soon as can be done without embarassing those who introduced it or perhaps when the courts address the action being brought).

[quote quote=1001044]No matter who says it, especially the UK Government, i am not taking the risk for some time[/quote]

This is the crux of it and it all comes down to choice. Mine may be to travel, yours may be to stay indoors in full hazmat equipment. Each to their own.

4 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1001044]NO food or drinks on flights below 2.5 hrs (this is KLM and Air France), staff will not interact or provide contact services.[/quote]

Not sure if this is correct Marcus ?

If you check Noel’s KLM AMS-ARN flight video on Youtube ( @infloghtvideo ) a snack box and water was provided in Y class. The flight was taken recently. Its scheduled time is two hours.

KLM already has a very limited service AMS-LHR and I would expect it to restart LCY in the months ahead.

KLM to fly to 95 per cent of European destinations by August

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls