Why Does BA Fly from Heathrow to Leeds Bradford?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 106 total)

• PegasusAir
    Participant

Transtraxman – Sorry but it did appear to be a serious list – not always possible to pick the humour up in written comments.
    Slot sitting interesting but too time consuming so lets leave it for now.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“some with only carrier bags as hand luggage”

As part of your personal development, VK, please see the link below

http://static3.depositphotos.com/1006838/220/i/950/depositphotos_2200056-Red-paper-bag-with-tax-free-sign.jpg

Your servant will normally carry the bag with your purchases.

canucklad
    Participant

BA might be slot sitting; however it shouldn’t stop them trying to make the route work…

Having worked in Leeds, I found the city to have a lot going for it….there are many major companies that have set up “Up North” and that business can and should be tapped into….after all “where there’s muck there’s brass”

I fear that BA will deliberately ensure that it doesn’t make a success of the route so that they can justify the closure of the route at the appropriate time….

The yield issue could be sorted by tinkering with the Manchester schedule…there must be a demographic overlap for the 2 airports?

Incidentally, Leeds is trying hard to “ferret” out its stereotype and “whippet” itself into a 21st century vibrant city……

Although that can go badly wrong….having dinner with my colleague I ordered a fish finger sandwich…..only for it to arrive, too poshed up with ciabatta bread rather than a nice slice of Hovis……Overall Leeds my flat cap is well and truly doffed !

transtraxman
    Participant

A few years ago during a working week in Birmingham we were invited for dinner to the “best” restaurant in the city. I and my colleagues enjoyed the meal very much.So far so good, the point is it was an Indian restaurant.
    The striking thing is that no British, European, Asian (non -Indian) or anybody else came close to providing the good food we enjoyed.

My point is that gastronomical delights can be enjoyed anywhere. They do not have to be of the country. Of course, the regular travellers on airlines enjoy a miniscule amount of the gastronomy up in the air. Thus the complaints about perfection on flights.

To eat well in this (GB) country you can see many different offers. I would say a positive thing for British food – i.e. pub food – usually excellent. ( and it does not have to be a tripe sandwich).

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Singing the praises of Leeds (which I’ve not been to for a while now): Horsforth in the west is very pleasant and, lest anyone forgets, Ilkey is the home t’ “Arry Ramsden’s and some a’ t’ best fish ‘n’ chips in t’ world.

[Editor’s advice: that’s enough pastiche Yorkshire accents….]

DanielRawson
    Participant

Martyn, after us playing awful in the first we did recover well in the second and gave you the hammering that half you deserved, Your fans were noisy and on good form though. Always had a soft spot though for Wednesday most likely due to what i am sure is a mutual dislike for anything with red and white stripes!

DanielRawson
    Participant

Anthony,

Sadly Harry Ramsdens closed last year and is now occupied by the Wetherby Whaler :(. Another great institution gone.

openfly
    Participant

FormerlyDoS…..

There is no such thing as “Vintage Krug”……..Krug is vintage anyway!!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ DanielRawson – 15/04/2013 14:00 GMT

Unbelievable! They take the brand all over the world and then close down at home… Where have I heard this before?

excessbaggage
    Participant

openfly – 15/04/2013 14:28 GMT

“FormerlyDoS…..

There is no such thing as “Vintage Krug”……..Krug is vintage anyway!!”

So Vintage Krug is tautologous then? (ie: needlessly repetitive; redundant)

😉

openfly
    Participant

Excess baggage….I think you could be correct!!! 🙂

VintageKrug
    Participant

Looks like this thread will need some trimming after all….

Feeble performance from the usual suspects.

Stewief1
    Participant

If BA didnt have their feeder service into LHR from LBA, how would the Harrogate folk realistically get to LHR for their twice yearly all inclusive long haul holiday. As a fan and user of the route, pax loads have increased over recent months, from what was quite honestly a miserable start, to most south-bound rotations flying at 70-100% occupancy. Lest we forget that a good proportion of these pax are transferring to long haul flights also. Whilst i agree margins probably ain’t that good, i am optimistic, and hope BA dont just use this as a slot sitter.

CXDiamond
    Participant

This must be a clear case of slot sitting given the loads. BD couldn’t make it pay latterly after increased competition from the railway and their service is if anything better than it used to be now that it is operated by East Coast.

I must say, I would no longer think of using domestic air services in the UK unless I was connecting at LHR which in my case is highly unlikely. The trains offer a much better service for point to point.

BigDog.
    Participant

It would be interesting if LHR moved to a system whereby each year 10% of the slots were renewable through a bidding process on a 10 year franchise basis.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 106 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls