Why Does BA Fly from Heathrow to Leeds Bradford?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 106 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

Yes he certainly is a bit of a card, not sure if this or his assertion that BA F is actually a good F product is the biggest joke.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Come on everyone: lighten up a bit! It was clear that VK’s tongue was firmly in his cheek and he did, in his “inimitable fashion” make a valid point about slot-sitting…

VintageKrug
    Participant

😉

DavidGordon10
    Participant

SimonS1 – I do not really find the destination list all that ironic. Leeds has about the same population as Fort Worth, Charlotte or Detroit and we would not find it ironic to see those names on a departure board. One of the differences is that Leeds is closer to other major centres than those USA cities, so surface transport is proportionately more important than air. Flying with very low load factors implies that this is slot-sitting rather than anything else.

Of course we appreciate that VK was trying to be funny. “Trying” in two senses of the word.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

David

Strangely enough, I drove through Fort Worth, yesterday.

I was more impressed with Leeds.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

FDos what are you doing up so late/early, thought you are in Dallas?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Dear FDos

I’d echo that, comparing Fort Worth with Leeds! Also, I deliberately included Detroit in my comparator list of USA cities. The economy of Leeds is in much better shape than that of Detroit.

Incidentally, VK’s use of “giro” in his original post is seriously anachronistic. Benefits haven’t been paid by giro for years. Shows when he was last on the dole.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“FDos what are you doing up so late/early, thought you are in Dallas?”

My body clock is on CET, Austin is CET -7, ergo early to bed, early to rise.

Might take the pony to San Antone after work, never seen the Alamo.

transtraxman
    Participant

The slot sitting order on the departures board will read….

Stavanger
    Luxembourg
    Olbia
    Tenerife

Stockholm
    Inverness
    Toulouse
    Tirana
    Istanbul
    Newcastle
    Geneva

or if you want only airport codes…

SNN Shannon
    LJU Ljubljana
    ORK Cork
    TMP Tampere

SCQ Santiago de Compostela
    IBZ Ibiza
    TLL Tallin
    TBS Tbilisi
    IOM Ronaldsway
    NCA Côte D´azur
    GIB Gibraltar

…and that is only in Europe.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

FDoS,

I was in San Antonio in January this year and happy to give you tour guide tips. Re the Alamo, there isn’t a lot of the original Alamo left but it is still worth visiting to understand the history. In fact the actual battle itself would probably just be a footnote in history if it wasn’t for the events before and after it which is why it is a fascinating place.

If you are driving, what you need to see are the Spanish Missions which are clustered together about 5 miles south of San Antonio.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Couldn’t resist this after VK’s comments (which have amused me). Does anybody know where this place is?

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/fly-london-to-dole-from-just-14-99-pounds

PegasusAir
    Participant

transtraxman – Thanks for getting this back on track.
    If by slot sitting you mean keeping the slots active until other routes (long haul) need them we need to bear two things in mind.
    1 – BA will only ever have a limited number of long haul aircraft even with their latest orders and each long haul flight uses at most one r/t slot per day so the vast majority of slots at LHR will only ever be for short haul flights and 2 – many long haul routes will always need feeding – even London (probably the best O&D international centre in the world) cannot fill all the frequencies. You may know this but sometimes I think others miss these points.
    Your list however could be debated
    eg Stavanger is presumably based on oil traffic, Luxembourg on finance probably so both high yield with no long haul direct flights of their own, and Olbia and Tenerife are both LGW flights etc.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Bath_VIP – 15/04/2013 10:21 GMT

Thanks so much. Really appreciate the tip and there should be enough daylight left to do both.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Bath VIP

I have passed Dole many times, when northbound from Malta.

It is on the edge of the Jura and thus gives access to Geneva and the Alps, although I imagine it would a bit of a drive.

transtraxman
    Participant

Pegasus
    You miss my point. I was only trying to follow on from VK´s droll comments and be a little humorous, using the letters SLOT etc., as you will realise by reading the first letters downwards.
    Now if you want a serious discussion on slot sitting, that is a different question.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 106 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls