Why Does BA Fly from Heathrow to Leeds Bradford?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)

• FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“My DH’s travel plans can sometimes be last minute or within a week or so of booking, and I would imagine many business travellers have the same schedule and demands on their time! “

When booking in the middle east, at the last minute, be prepared for Y only availability. Lack of J is a 1st world problem.

“Flexibility is the key here, and this is the first time business or first has not been available. Hence my comments as I would not have imagined CAI to be such a busy route.”

Ignorance is unfortunately no cure for lack of availability.

One needs to have strategy for this situation; from ABZ I’d advise that you scope in KLM/Air France, whose prices are about 50% of BA and who offer a good range of connections; of course, if collecting Avios is more important, then stick with BA and take what is available, but this then becomes a leisure purchasing decision, not a serious business call.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have never been to an ASDA.

It’s not increased demand on the CAI route driving lack of availability; it’s massive reduction in demand coupled with reduced capacity.

I’m not certain if it’s now an A321 mid-haul route, but if not it soon will be. Lucky BA got out of Sharm El Sheikh sharpish, too, though I understand the effect is less marked there.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Update: I have now been to an ASDA.

Surprised as despite the amount of shower gel sold, very few of its customers seem to know how to use it.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

How do you know that.

Have you been stalking people again? 😉

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FormerlyDoS – 25/04/2013 13:00 GMT

Was that comment really necessary? It would be really pleasant to have an end to the tit-for-tat carping between you and VK. It simply serves to undermine the validity of both of your otherwise informative contributions. That’s a “pretty please” BTW.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Anthony

I think you will find that VK is posting tongue in cheek and looking for a reaction and my reply is certainly not serious.

Once again, it shows why we need a reorganized forum, so this type of black humour can occupy a place that does not distract from business travel topics. But I am posting ‘on thread’, in this case.

Of course, if you are the humour control police and see no need for a side crack ,then, yes it is unnecessary 😉 (wink = meant to be tongue in cheek)

Papillion53
    Participant

Speedbird_ABZ @ 19:05

No it was not moi. Now as we could all do with a laugh, come on then how exactly did you visualise me?? 😉 🙂

I am also today delighted to announce that true world travellers who commute between the UK and South Africa and back every year have arrived in their northern hemisphere summer home this very morning! Incredibly, they manage this amazing journey without first class luxury, airport lounges, satnav, and have no hassles at border controls. Their schedule is pretty accurate too, always arriving within a certain time frame. And if they have any delays, or lack of suitable food enroute, no compensatory Avios or EU monetary ruling would fly their way!

So look to the skies my fellow forum pals and welcome the weary travellers. But let us not be negative like poor old Aristotle!

I am sure they would have has a birds eye view of the route from LHR to LBA – (trying tenuously to stay almost on topic!)

OK back to work now! 😉 :-)))

Jasonltd1
    Participant

35 pax is good going for this flight,

JeffD
    Participant

In all the responses I have read from VintageKrug I have never thought of him as a pompus ass. I am one of those forelorn rag tag passengers who used the LHR-LBA flights. I am an examiner at Leeds Univeristy and really appreciate being able to fly up and back easily in a day. I certainly do not carry a carrier bag as hand luggage. I am really disapointed with your response as in the past I have had a great deal of respect for your comments, but as a forelone rag tag passenger I guess its above my station, thanks, lost respect in your views at the moment.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Today I flew up from BHX to ABZ – still never had a need to fly LHR/LBA (still trying to stay on topic).
    Papillon, I have to say that this lady almost fitted my idea of what you would look like – very smart, short’ish fair hair, trim, but she was shorter than I imagined you!
    Just got me thinking how I actually visualise everyone on here – but I’ll keep that to myself!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

sadly leeds (actually leeds-bradford) suffers image problems (like garuda and VK’s favourites LHR & BA) …generally unjustified at LBA as check-in/security are not the ridiculous mess at LHR…when bmi had leeds flights star was my preference, subsequently sky team is best bet via AMS but one world has some chances as long as there are directs to terminal 5….without this connection, rail to LHR and the usual nonsense there will add at least 4 hours even going west!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What a great thread topic and i can most certainly answer the question.

I have a wedding in Bradford in a couple of weeks time, flight timings are perfect and my avios account is 9000 lighter. Perfect.

BA flies to Bradford so I dont need to drive to the wedding….

DanielRawson
    Participant

Martyn,

Finding a hotel half decent in Bradford is going to be a challenge and a half. Despite living in Leeds my business is based in Bradford and I can tell you it’s one seriously miserable city! If it’s any use I can get fantastic rates at the Midland Hotel due to my friend being friendly with the manager. Let me know if I can help and I will drop you an email.

Daniel

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Spot on Daniel where the wedding is – its a ceremony + tea so out at lunch time back at 9pm, saves me the drive. No overnight accomadation needed.

Many thanks for the offer though, very kind of you.

Thanks BA for scheduling a jet for me…… (if it is a jet)

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

If you choose to make a stay out of it.

If you hire a car at LBA (www.travelsupermarket.com has good rates) it will give you the opportunity to stay out of Bradford. I lived in the Bingley area for 25 years and I would not recommend you to stay in Bradford city centre, for the reasons Daniel states.

If you wish to stay near to the airport, this Marriott is convenient and is about 6-7 miles out side Bradford centre.

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=21&pn=1&ps=21&tab=description&destinationId=555288&searchDestination=Skipton&hotelId=141241&rooms%5B0%5D.numberOfAdults=1&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first#maps

A drive of about 10 miles from the centre will take you to

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=17&pn=1&ps=17&tab=description&destinationId=555288&searchDestination=Skipton&hotelId=238189&rooms%5B0%5D.numberOfAdults=1&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

The local are is quiet and residential, the hotel is in an interesting old building. Not the best hotel, but far from the worst and the one I use when visiting relatives.

If you are prepared to drive up to 20 miles, then you start to scope in Haworth and the Yorkshire Dales

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=3&pn=1&ps=3&tab=description&destinationId=555288&searchDestination=Skipton&hotelId=416829&rooms%5B0%5D.numberOfAdults=1&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=18&pn=1&ps=18&tab=description&destinationId=555288&searchDestination=Skipton&hotelId=355669&rooms%5B0%5D.numberOfAdults=1&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

These are just some examples from hotels.com, there are many more.

Have a good trip.

It is a jet. When I used the service is was a 319. Took 38 mins.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls