Why Does BA Fly from Heathrow to Leeds Bradford?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Excellent riposte David…. As for the question of what is England’s second city, Manchurians’ have no doubt that it is London…good to see its not just Auld Reekie & Weedgieville that are at each others throats LOL

Forgive me VK, but I couldn’t resist indulging in a bit of poetic license and editing of the attached article in FDOS’s post…….

An ode to Krug…..

“Everyone in the village said we were mad, but they were all watching for when we started because they know we are obsessed with detail.”

To those of us gazing in from the outside in wide-eyed wonder, we always wondered if the magic of Krug is real…..

It possesses grandeur, an other-worldliness, an amplitude that is as lofty as its mesospheric price, Vigorous debate ensued as to whether it was from the 1950s or the 1960s, but it was decided it was too fresh for the 1960s. It turned out to be 1915…..

I have not seen any degradation of freshness in Krug

Krug’s long-ageing style begins with fruit harvested with more acidity and less sugar, and Contact with oxygen during fermentation furnishes Krug with resilience…….“The first thing you learn here is patience,” could be Krug’s Mantra

From the outset, Krug has courageously pursued perfectionism ahead of traditionalism

Krug’s team admits to an obsession with numbers, the more individuality you get, the more precise you can be with your selection.”… Krug’s relentless pursuit of quality in spite of the cost knows no limits…….

After all the more individuality you get, the more precise you can be with your selection and Krug are among the most revered in the world

Ultimately though they are decommissioned after about fifty years as they become too difficult to repair……: )

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Talking of slots – well, we were a wee bit back – I notice a stange scheduling on ABZ/LHR flights. On Saturday and Sundays they have 2 x A319’s at 0840 and 0850. I thought it was an error online, but they actually do fly. Also 1335 and 1405 departures weekdays. Now, what am I missing here? I am sure there are others – as mentioned above, but that is one I’ve noticed locally. Doesn’t make sense to me when LHR is so horrendously overcrowded.

canucklad
    Participant

Abz….My immediate guess, would be that was when the ex BD flights were scheduled ….I’m sure I’ve noticed BA flights departing from Edi to LHR within 30 minutes of each other and realised the 18.30 departure was the old BD slot.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

The bmi weekend LHR flights were about 0640 or round about then though, so still doesn’t make sense to me, unless they can shuffle the timings to suit? Still seems crazy though – 10 minutes apart?

Papillion53
    Participant

Yes this nearly caught me out the other week when I was taking the DH to ABZ for his 1405 BA flight to LHR. I thought I had maybe read it wrong, but he did confirm that there was that flight at 1335.

So thank guys for explaining it – I might have worked it out eventually!

He was heading to CAI on BA and it turns out he was on an exBMI 321 (I think) with what he called the “staggered” business class seats.

It was full to the gunnels, they could not get business class at all booking a few days out and Y was jammed. So not a happy bunny! Coming back exactly the same!

I had a look at the availability just out of interest and for some reason it was full, full, full in business for days on end. Y ok though.

So BA, time for a bigger aircraft on this route with more business seats.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“So BA, time for a bigger aircraft on this route with more business seats.”

Why? CAI is reputed to be a low yield route in J, so downsizing from a widebody to a narrow body and firming up prices makes commercial sense, doesn’t it?

Your DH should be grateful that BA had a seat for him, or he might have had to fly on a dreadful Egyptair A330-300 or 777-300, with flat bed seats and excellent food.

JordanD
    Participant

Indeed FDos – but maybe Papillion’s DH wants an alcholic drink onboard, which EgyptAir would not provide him?

Truth be told, Cairo was a big cargo route (hence they could previously afford to have a 747 operate it and have the aircraft sit on the ground for 10hrs), but guess since the revolution, loads have dropped?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Indeed FDos – but maybe Papillion’s DH wants an alcholic drink onboard, which EgyptAir would not provide hi”

There are duty free shops at both ends and MS don’t mind you bringing a bottle.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Is CAI a leisure route?

Papillion53
    Participant

Because FDoS if you had read my post correctly instead of making snipes as usual, you will see that I wrote that I had checked business seat availability on the BA LHR-CAI-LHR route so I did not make an ill informed comment! There was no availability for some time, so quite clearly your comment does not hold true at the moment. And he was wait listed for business, but no moves.

The flights out and back were both full and this is usual according to his colleagues who REGULARLY fly this route.

Becky – I have no idea, I would probably think not to Cairo and the north. Tourist numbers are down big time in Egpyt. The DH came home telling me drivers and so on he had spoken to were feeling the effect of lack of tourists. They desperately want tourists to come back, but given recent events, this does sadly seem unlikely. But I think again also that there is still tourist traffic, but going on charters to the big resorts at Sharm El Sheikh.

JordanD – no drinks required! But company policy does dictate sometimes which airline is chosen – I would imagine route deals, flexibility etc. as well as the DH requesting BA – after all I need his BA Avios for our leisure trips! 😉 🙂

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I read your post Papilion and although it is a bit rambling, per your normal style, did note that you wrote

“He was heading to CAI on BA and it turns out he was on an exBMI 321 (I think) with what he called the “staggered” business class seats.

It was full to the gunnels, they could not get business class at all booking a few days out and Y was jammed. So not a happy bunny! Coming back exactly the same! “

as well as

“So BA, time for a bigger aircraft on this route with more business seats.”

So unless your the first quote means he flew in business, which I don’t read that way, he should grateful that he was able to collect Avios in Y and thank BA for having a seat there.

BA is not a charity, as Becky Boop likes to point out and thus selling J seats at higher prices by using pricing elasticity as a mechanism, makes sense. Restrict the supply and demand does the job.

So why would BA put a widebody, that can generate a lot more profit on another route, back on to London-Cairo?

Answer, BA won’t, so your DH needs to be prepared to accept Y if booking late on BA, as the premium seats fill up first on middle eastern flights, as you found out with your research.

Papillion53
    Participant

FDoS

No he did not fly in business as I said. He was wait listed and flew in Y on a fully flexible ticket.

My DH’s travel plans can sometimes be last minute or within a week or so of booking, and I would imagine many business travellers have the same schedule and demands on their time!

Flexibility is the key here, and this is the first time business or first has not been available. Hence my comments as I would not have imagined CAI to be such a busy route.

So have a nice weekend and I saw that you did try your hand at some humour on another thread …. So maybe if you adopted this tack a bit more often?

Walkies anyone ….. !

DavidGordon10
    Participant

My, don’t we get about? This thread started with Leeds, then has been via Manchester and Aberdeen and now we are off to Cairo….

So to answer the original question, “why Does BA Fly from Heathrow to Leeds Bradford?”, the answer is – to give us something to talk about.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Papillion53
    Participant

DavidGordon @16:04

And we also popped into Harry Ramsdens, ASDA and a Devere Hotel along the way!

I forgot to mention in my “ramblings” that petroleum products are 7p a litre in Egypt! All relative of course to the cost of living there, but I understand also subsidised by the state. It may be about to go up though.

Have a good weekend yourself DG10! 🙂

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Papillion were you on the 0920 a week past Monday 08th? There was a well travelled lady chatting to a man who was heading off to Houston and Rio and I couldn’t help think it must have been you.
    I’m sure there are many other ladies based in Aberdeen who are experienced travellers, but she fitted how I have visualised you! To stay on subject – I’ve never had the need to fly LHR/LBA!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls