What is this board about?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 150 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

Bill_Hants – 28/03/2012 18:02 GMT

Bill_Hants
    Participant

NTarrant: – 30/03/212 17:06GMT: “… That is the problem with the forum at the moment, many can’t accept that other people have views …”.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Bill – what problem!

Its a normal day on the BT forum.

Bill_Hants
    Participant

Martyn – too true !!!

… but a pity that a simple concept is missed: posters are entitled to express their views, which may or may not coincide with the views of others. Quite healthy.

Some seem to feel that where views expressed don’t coincide with their own, that this constitutes an “attack” or a “confrontation”.

NTarrant
    Participant

Here we go again Bill. You are always at it!

RichHI1
    Participant

OK let’s move to an analytical approach. Communication is a two way process. The sender and the recipient contribute equally. It is obvious from the comments above that different people derive different messages from the same post based on how they interpret it.
    Incan laugh at some of the posts of zealots without denying their right to opine, further I can find AA, BA, SQ, LX, UA, VS, LH, AF equally amusing, for me it is the non-acceptance of any possible imperfection that is amusing not the carrier. That said different people will interpret this differently. To use a platitude, “live and let live” , in the grand scheme of things this is so much trivia. Safe travels all.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Hilary, welcome to the board and thank you for your most helpful post. Your suggestion of a dedicated thread for offers is such a sensible one you would wonder why no one thought of it sooner. I do hope that it can be implemented and stuck with.

I love the idea of being constructive and not critical too. I will do my best to adopt that approach because I know I can be very critical at times.

If you have suggestions of where to eat in Singapore I would love to read them, I tend to be stuck in a rut when I go there of same places but there is such a great choice of food on offer I really should get out and try a few different things.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Welcome Hilary, good to see another woman posting and making such sensible points, we’ll get you men sorted out yet 😉

I would be delighted to see a single thread for offers from each airline or hotel group of similar, it will keep the threads much more in order and as has been said, if you want to know if there is an offer, you will only need to look up the thread. No need for repetition or bumps. It will also clear up the motivation of those who post such things, is their intention simply to make an offer known or do they have a vested interest in plugging it.

Thank you HT for starting this thread, it’s like a breath of fresh air. It’s very noticeable that this week the board has been a much more sensible place and that the posts have been much more balanced. I do wish some of the long standing posters would come back – DoS where are you?

I think some of the negative and personal attacks on HT earlier in the thread were unnecessary and uncalled for but they came from mostly predictable quarters of people who don’t contribute much positive anyway.

There is so much potential for good information to be exchanged here but please, let’s keep it as Hilary said to Daily Telegraph standards.

RichHI1
    Participant

CXDiamond with you all the way until you mention the Daily Telegraph. I think journalistic standards are a low benchmark to aim for.
    I am very pleased by Hilary’s post as I have always welcomed diversity of opinion but continue to feel that intolerance and lack of courtesy reduce the value of the forum. I have also been disgusted by some posters resulting to direct insults and vulgarisms. BT some sites have a complaint button. I have dome my best to flag unacceptable behaviour but a red alert button would help this offensive material to be more quickly removed. I would also add the “commercials” for financial services and booking shops which keep springing up.

CXDiamond
    Participant

RichHI1 – only the highest standards of course! I suppose I was reflecting a comment made earlier about not wishing to read trivia here. We perhaps should be careful about saying journalistic standards are a low benchmark on a board hosted by journalists!

Excellent post though.

RichHI1
    Participant

For me there is a difference between expert journalists who have an expertise in a specific field and what were once called “fleet street hacks”. No offense BT. I know you have higher standards unlike the BBC who recently ran a story on American Airways ( who needs to check facts when you can just run foreign copy and byline it!)

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I must say, three days after this thread was started the board does seem to have contained more serious and sensible information this week. I for one am impressed and pleased it is happening.

Now, where are the missing posters, it would be great to see a few people return.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Oh dear, it seems like after several pleasant days one of the usual culprits of BA promotion is hijacking threads again. This time one about the experience of LHR has been hijacked to the usual topic including comments on the inflight meal.

What that has to do with the LHR experience I struggle to understand.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

CX – exactly what has been unpleasant – stop making mischief?

CXDiamond
    Participant

Martyn, I take exception to your comment, I certainly do not make mischief, it’s not in my nature.

Over the last few days we have seen topics kept to subject and it is a refreshing change compared to the usual drift and some of the recent facile commenting.

You may not like that and indeed you were one of the most critical people at the opening of this thread and yet most of the comments suggest the topic needed airing.

I think the board has been more worth reading over recent days than for the last three to four months. I’m sure some will disagree but that is my opinion and others seem to agree with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 150 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls