What is this board about?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 150 total)

• HilaryJames
    Participant

If I may make a post which is my first one so please be gentle if you disagree with me.

I’ve read Business Traveller for many years and more recently this forum over the last two years or so. As business travellers we all have different needs and our patterns of travel are no doubt unique.

For some like Martyn the forum has generated savings which we all find welcome, for others including myself, I have never saved a penny as a result of anything I’ve read here. What I find though is helpful information in the main and if you like, it’s the equivalent of reading the Daily Telegraph of travel and really that’s the quality of post I expect to find.

Things have gone down hill of late and the quality of posts by one individual who is percieved to be female (I have my doubts) have not added anything useful to what is here and I think the poster has successfully diverted many sensible threads into off topic conversations about trivia. If I want trivia, I don’t read the Telegraph and I don’t want the Telegraph to start printing trivia.

With regard to the promotion of British Airways, would it not be sensible to keep a single thread for this infomation which could be added to as necessary. Those who wish to read it would know it was there and would know to seek it out if it dropped out of the top ten but it should only be added to if there was something new to say. Posts which manipulate the position of threads for no other purpose than to keep them in view are so unnecessary and the behaviour of doing it for whatever reason is childish.

As a reader, I have noticed that some longstanding posters are disappearing, that’s not good. We all move on at times but many people seem to be dropping out but perhaps not saying why. I think Henkel Trocken is to be commended for raising this subject and letting it be aired in a positive and constructive manner. I have seen some criticism and some praise of the poster. Perhaps a few more constructive suggestions as I have tried to make about a British Airways offers thread would be more useful than the criticism which some people on this board seem too ready to throw at others without thinking.

And finally, I feel from reading posts over a couple of years I know a little about many of you so a little about me. I work in the financial sector, live in London and my business travel takes me along one route only which is London to Singapore. I am a loyal Singapore Airlines flyer and never look anywhere else for my travel although I know standards are slipping and the website is awful. It’s about familiarity for me and in a busy life a bit of familiarity is always a good thing and it helps keep stress at bay.

LPPSKrisflyer, as I’m one too, I suspect we know each other, well, I’m certain you’re one of three men I know who are LPPS members, we must speak at the next do if they get round to organising one.

I think I’ve said enough, please don’t flame me, I’m only trying to be constructive.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Drift: Welcome Hilary, I’m sure I know exactly who you are.I’m glad you’ve decided to make a post and hopefully you will add a few more!

Good point, we could all be more constructive and less critical and I include myself in that.

The idea of a single thread for BA offers and indeed one for each service provider is a great one. If the next person to post one would be kind enough to create a dedicated thread and others add to it, I think it would be an excellent idea.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Bravo Hilary: Really glad to have the female touch to suggest such a good-house keeping idea for creating a dedicated section posting any BA current travel offers!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, sorry to hear about your mother. I too have an elderly and sick mother so I can sympathise. All the best for the future. LP.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Hilary, and I look forward to reading more posts from you especially about SIA and Singapore.

I agree with a lot of what you say and it’s nice to have some sensible comments from a new poster.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Rules from the Airliners.net forum I also subscribe to:

Civil Aviation related posts only.
    No trip reports, hobby or photography posts.
    No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
    No hostile language or criticizing of others.
    Do not post copyright protected material.
    Use relevant and describing topics.
    Check if your post already been discussed.
    Check your spelling!

Seems sensible and they’re pretty ruthless when it comes to removing offensive posts.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hilary

Excellent post. Welcome aboard.

Simon

PatJordan
    Participant

Simon,

good to hear from you again. Your posts are too rare these days.

Hilary,

welcome to the forum

Pat

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Pat

You’re too kind.

Simon

Vertrek
    Participant

Thanks HT!

I totally agree with you!

And Hilary, well said.

The thing is we should try to ignore those BA fanatic as they always flame anybody who criticised the company and it’s alliance. We all have our own favorite and if someone decided to disrespect our comment, then we should do the same, so whenever they grill non-BA fans, just ignore them. l also suspect that, there some BA PR here in the forum to keep the hype up.

To be honest, nothing special about BA or OW and as I get to know SkyTeam, I find them as a more efficient and organized alliance than Oneworld.

Anyway, safe travel everyone.

RichHI1
    Participant

I have preferences which are known, I also can live with the BA zealots as they just make me laugh. On reflection I find I just discount views which see things in total black and white. Nothing is ever 100% right or wrong. I am afraid I am too old to fall for spin but I also differentiate naivety based on inexperience from spin. Those who have not experienced can believe what others tell them. That is a joy of this site in thT it spreads experience.
    So whilst I am more tolerant than some I like the idea of Single offer threads per carrier. I favour criticism that is constructive.
    Let’s have an end to offensive critical posts and equally stop trying to second guess the identity of posters.

NTarrant
    Participant

Well said Hilary.

But just a few postings later we have:

“we should try to ignore those BA fanatic as they always flame anybody” and “I also can live with the BA zealots as they just make me laugh”

So here we go again the proBA are wrong and the antiBA are right. That is the problem with the forum at the moment, many can’t accept that other people have views.

Bill_Hants
    Participant

… a few postings later are … VIEWS expressed.

So here we DON’T go again:

Nether poster said “….the proBA are wrong and the antiBA are right…” They were expressing their VIEWS, with which you can agree or disagree

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks Bill you have just proved a point, the way certain people, like yourself always want to be confrontational.

Bill_Hants
    Participant

NTarrant: “… So here we go again the proBA are wrong and the antiBA are right ….”

Confrontational, perhaps?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 150 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls