What is this board about?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)

• HilaryJames
    Participant

Belatedly, thank you all so much for the welcome, I did appreciate it and I will do my best to contribute in future when I have something to say but I don’t think it will be much.

I don’t have the range of travel many of you do and I’m very much a creature of habit. I fly to Singapore in SQ F, I stay at the Fairmont on the club floor and I walk down and across the river to work each day when I’m there which is generally for about ten days each month.

Not very exciting by the standards of many of you but I like the predictibility of it and it’s nice to get away for ten days in the warm each month especially during the winter.

Anyway, thank you again for the welcome.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Thank you again Hilary, you made such sensible and pertinant points in your original post that I think a few of us needed to hear.

RichHI1
    Participant

HT i would say listen to rather than hear. Hilary I am also a creature of habit. If you find something that works for you, why risk it? Wish it was warm in UK. Been here too long…. Easter always seems to be cold in Uk.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I just want to say that I think with a few exceptions the content of the board has improved a great deal over recent weeks. This week for instance much of the comment has been about the changes to BD and Diamond Club, all highly relevant and quite a bit of other helpful information too including the chaos reigning in immigration at LHR.

Of course there remains some irrelevant posting but there is far less of it than when this thread was started.

Are we getting back on track?

IMO, yes.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Heading in the right direction, I’d say.

RichHI1
    Participant

I agree, posters who were held to be problematic by some have added a lot of value recently. I think the IRIS E-Petition thread is very helpful and the coverage of the IAG acquisition of BD has been similarly valuable. Perhaps this forum can lay claim to have influenced the equitable treatment which IAG have proposed.
    Having been exposed to many years of Hawaiian culture I am not fond of conflict but I think the venting of frustration has benefitted everyone. I may be isolated but I am glad that ceratin posters have not disappeared.
    As a final comment, I would ask that perhaps we should take ourselves a little less seriously. There are enough self important people in politics.
    To return to my favourite decade and for UK posters the unique Mr Grace from grace brothers, “you’ve all done very well.”

SimonS1
    Participant

No doubting this forum could really be a great asset. However it needs a bit of moderation from all sides. Some of the personal comments are possibly unwanted, equally so are some of the corporate apologists.

PatJordan
    Participant

Thank you Mr Grace….

Wasn’t that young Mr. Grace? I don’t think we ever saw the older one!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“I agree, posters who were held to be problematic by some have added a lot of value recently.”

Rich, I’d like to make a point of agreeing with that comment.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

It seems like one of the more problematic posters is active this afternoon bumping threads about border control. Interesting as he claims he never has a problem unlike everyone else so I don’t understand his concern.

I’ve no doubt now he will do his best to bump this post out of sight during the evening and it will be out of the top ten by morning.

VintageKrug
    Participant

You’ll actually find it is others who have started no less than nine threads on the very same topic; the point is that keeping discussion on what is a valid topic to one thread helps us discuss the matter; continually starting new threads loses the “thread” of the conversation, clams up the board and is dull for others to read.

QED.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

And you needed to bump them this afternoon because????

RichHI1
    Participant

What is this board about? To me it is about sharing knowledge and inisght between travellers to save money and improve experiences and also to act as a semi public forum to get broken things in air travel fixed.

Some try to manipulate this forum for their own agenda but most readers are wise enough to recognize what is valuable and what is dross. I must observe that some posters seem to do both, being both at times a invaluable asset and at times a mere irritation.

Why post this now? Is this a manipulative bump? No. Today has been a good day. Some may say the howls of derision aimed at Brian Moore, the UKBF, Theresa May and Damian Green that have come from this forum have had no effect but I believe it is read. So today Mr. Walsh of IAG gave a superb performance exposing the plight of passengers and the delusion of said individuals, the BBC, Sky and the Print media continued to show the reality and highlight the threats to BAA if they dared to apologize for the delays that don’t exist, the Prime Minister finally exasperated by the actions of his ministers spoke out and told them to ‘fess up and fix it. To cap it all I read some reports here that posters are seeing a difference.
    Does it mean all issues with Iris going, EU priorities and no access to Flux are solved, No. But it does shoiw that you can achieve things in a reasoned manner.
    For me – a better day and I believe in part thanks to BT.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

RichHI1:

Totally agree, I’m sure the number of posts on this board which have accurately represented the awful situation at LHR over recent weeks may have had some influence on proceedings today. Let’s hope so. It has been a good day, not least of which because I passed through LHR so quickly. I would love to think that similar reports to my own would be posted by credible people over the coming days.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

As an occasional poster, I have never noticed the ‘hidden agendas” and, as a dedicated Star Alliance (Thai ROP member) flyer I simply ignore any posts, or comments within threads, that involve BA…..I never travel with them or any OW carriers unless I have absolutely no choice.

I dip in from time to time and wish I had time to do so more often. I can see that some people seem to be sitting at their PC just waiting for a new post – such is the speed of their responses!! I have never saved any money as a result of anything I have read here but have picked up some useful tips…here’s a completely unrelated one….did you know that there is a PFL (Platinum For Life) Elite status in Marriott Rewards?

I have enjoyed some harmless banter with a couple of the regular posters and I do enjoy the Forum.

So, what’s this board for, in my opinion?

Entertainment and dissemination of information helpful to our community, ……. and I am happy to say that, when I filter out irrelevant posts/threads, this is what I get from the board.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls