Virgin Atlantic to withdraw from Australia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 117 total)

• TimT696
    Participant

Papillion53. Thank you so much for asking someone to notify Tim_T over on FT. I’ve registered on BT just to say thanks as I am him (I could not pick Tim_T as my username as its not long enough and has a _ !)

It would appear we have had near identical conversations with VS over the last couple of days, and with relief, the same outcome.

I’ve now learnt that Virgin Flying club has a nasty little clause in their t&cs that states that if Virgin cancel a flight that you have booked using miles, you get a choice of a full refund or protection on another flight in economy. I’m not sure how this would stand up against EU261 as I think this trumps their t&cs, but with my flight of HKG to SYD, EU261 would not apply anyway.

Anyway, I am very relieved that I have a 10hr flight with family as planned in business class. It was a flight in the middle of a complex itinerary to New Zealand using various other miles, airlines and hotel bookings. I spent yesterday evening trying to work out how to unpick the flight and replace it with something else.

Thanks again Papillion53.

Now off to find out what CX J class on an Airbus will be like 🙂

Tim

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Tim, welcome to BT!!

The CX J experience on an Airbus depends very much on which Airbus!! All A340s have old long-haul J but I don’t believe they use those on the HKG-SYD route – it looks as though they use the long-haul A330s (all of which have the new long-haul J). You can quickly find out by looking at the seatmap – if it is 1-2-1, then it is new J.

To learn more about that you can visit here: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/inflight/travel-classes/business-class/new-business-class.html
    and
    http://www.cathaypacific.aero/newbusinessclass/en.html

There is also quite a good article about the new seat here: http://www.ausbt.com.au/seven-things-you-didn-t-know-about-cathay-pacific-s-business-class

Do you have elite status with oneworld? Let me know, and I can make some lounge recommendations for you, just to make sure you get the best out of the experience!

rferguson
    Participant

Hi Tim. The new CX J product is without doubt my absolute favourite. All the seats are ideal for travelling solo or with a partner. I know their pretty big operation to OZ is all A330 and have the new product. Pretty sure NZ would be also. Lounges in Hong Kong are great – if you have time check out a couple of the different ones. What I like about the CX lounges in HKG is that they all have a different theme/feel instead of just being one of several lounges but all in the same style. For example the Wing and Pier have great noodle bars and decorated in a very oriental/bamboo kind of theme. The Cabin has an emphasis on healthier food – juice bar and made to order sandwiches for example – and has a more funky/trendy dĂ©cor. And the new The Bridge has a ‘living room’ like feel. Comfy sofas, bookcases etc. And the food offerings different again – a ‘bakery’ that makes fresh pizzas and breads for instance.

Enjoy!

canucklad
    Participant

Morning BigDog
    Cheers for your reply yesterday.

Sadly, can’t justify a trip down to “the valleys” for rugby, when I’m heading off to 7’s next month!

I’ve been many times before, sob sadly I know what I’m missing! lol

In fact, one of the most bizarre weeks of my life basically came down to my inability to say “ No “ to my pals. My EX believes I have a physiological disorder called “ Cantmissthataphobia”

10 years ago, almost to the day, my itinerary went something like this….
    Tue 10/2 fly down to Cardiff for work, return Thursday afternoon.
    Fri 13/2 fly down to Cardiff, watch Wales beat us 23-10 on the Saturday, fly back Sunday night!
    Tue 17/2 leave my local on a coach, to travel overnight back to Cardiff (albeit the HMFC coach) Wales 4-Scotland 0 (bloody Robbie Earnshaw) on Wednesday night, leave Thursday morning ish!
    Sat 21/2 fly down to Cardiff to watch the Black Cats take on Cardiff city…..ehmmm….another 4-0 loss …..Fly back Sunday night…….

Following week, back at work, my boss say’s to me……” Fancy another trip to….”

As a beside, my memory must be failing me,as I confess Mr Google helped me recall the dates as well as the Sunderland result.

My abiding memory was bumping into the stereotypical Highlander (Fisherman) in full regalia in a pub before the rugby match, to find the bloke there a week later in the exact same spot.
    Asking him why he was still there, after all he had know interest in either Sunderland or Cardiff his reply was unashamedly thus.
    His tactic of asking local Welsh girls, a very direct question, was working for him !!! He said, that his strike rate was 1 in 100 , and there was more than a 100, and he wasn’t a fussy bugger , having no teeth and smelling of mackerel , I suppose he couldn’t afford to be !!

Anyway, as always I’m confident Scotland will win, but first there is a little match involving those pesky folk from Englandshire at Murrayfield to worry about!

Papillion53
    Participant

Hello Tim696 and welcome to the BT forum! 🙂

I am so glad you got everything sorted out as I read the frustration in your posts, and could understand completely as I was going through exactly the same thing. I think with our conversations with VS, it certainly made it easier for those following in our footsteps, and the second agent I spoke to could not have been more helpful nor apologetic that they got it wrong first time round.

Thanks to the early breaking news on BT and to the invaluable advice from fellow posters on this forum, everything worked out well in the end.

We were already booked to fly from HKG to OZ in CX business, and the VS flight was the return journey, so now we get CX twice! :-). Like you, this flight was part of a bigger trip and I was looking for alternatives “just in case”, and I was actually surprised at just how much availability there is, if you take the time to look and be flexible, to/from OZ. I even came across some F award availability on BA (from SIN-SYD if anyone’s looking!) But patience was a virtue in the end, so no need to change the whole schedule!

Well Tim, I certainly appreciate you coming on here to say hello and it will be fun and interesting to compare notes on our travels down under. Have a fabulous trip! 🙂

superchris
    Participant

the surprise for me is that this was not announced alongside them moving their DXB flight to AUH to connect with VS Australia down to Sydney.

This seems completely obvious to me…

BusinessBabble
    Participant

From my understanding VS, VA (Australia) and VX (America) are all separately owned and operated companies, the degree of cooperation between them all is quite limited.

I’d guess VS will make more money flying O&D Virgin Holiday makers to DXB than taking transfer traffic to AUH for the benefit of EY (a shareholder in VA) and VA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But VS does work with VA for its round-the-world fare.

So there might be a VA link for AUH-SYD then continuing, as now, with VA on SYD-LAX.

Of course if VA were to fly HKG-SYD it would be even better for RTW customers.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/allaboutus/pressoffice/pressreleases/news/fare..jsp

BigDog.
    Participant

The FT is reporting a 20% drop in VA share value over 2 days – it s being investigated.

transtraxman
    Participant

Who better than the Australian analists CAPA to look at the whys and wherefores of Virgin Atlantic´s decision to withdraw from Australia.
    Published today 7th February 2014.
    “And then there was one: Virgin Atlantic’s withdrawal leaves BA as only European airline in Australia”

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/and-then-there-was-one-virgin-atlantics-withdrawal-leaves-ba-as-only-european-airline-in-australia-151240

As well as analysing why Virgin Atlantic failed it also looks at why BA can make a go of the route. One sentence sums up why BA is likely to stay the course.

“One factor influencing its decision making is that British Airways still has a relatively strong corporate presence in the Australia-UK market, offering it advantages that are less immediately visible, but which impact on the wider network operation. “

By extension this article shows that Virgin Atlantic is firmly under the thumb of Delta. Expect more changes in Asia and Africa.

An excellent piece which is a must to read.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m delighted you and Tim got sorted Papillion. I really don’t think VS had a choice?

I cannot help but think what a mistake Branson made by not buying BMI when he could. This could have provided VS with valuable feeder trafic from Europe. Most people want through fares rather than having to buy two tickets along with the risks that entails if the first flight should be delayed, through baggage, extra check-in etc.

I think this purchase could have benefitted VS enormously but of course it’s now too late!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m delighted you and Tim got sorted Papillion. I really don’t think VS had a choice?

I cannot help but think what a mistake Branson made by not buying BMI when he could. This could have provided VS with valuable feeder trafic from Europe. Most people want through fares rather than having to buy two tickets along with the risks that entails if the first flight should be delayed, through baggage, extra check-in etc.

I think this purchase could have benefitted VS enormously but of course it’s now too late!

JohnHarper
    Participant

transtraxman – 07/02/2014 10:48 GMT

The Centre for Aviation article was most interesting, thanks for posting.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

JohnHarper

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls