Virgin Atlantic to withdraw from Australia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 117 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad – I’m very pleased with the outcome, saves a lot of hassle and particularly the truly excellent customer services at Virgin UK. We are flying down to Oz with CX in business from HKG, so although I am disappointed we won’t be in VS UC (romantic memories from last trip (years ago) when we flew to the Caribbean to get married), I’m looking forward to CX and hopefully their new business class both ways!

I still feel sorry for people who may lose their jobs, it must be a worrying time for them.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A big 🙂 to BT Forum and ALL contributors…. past, present & future….

canucklad
    Participant

Indeed Papillion
    I’d like to think that the Sydney staff could be integrated into Virgin Australia’s payroll!
    And at least you’ll have romantic memories on the way to HK, is it a stopover or just in transit?

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Insightful post as ever rferguson.

Hard to see how BA can justify sending their own planes to Sydney, they must be able to better deploy their resources elsewhere and codeshare with a fellow Oneworld partner instead.

Same for QF continuing their A380’s Dubai to London.

RJBarrett
    Participant

Excellent customer service last night form Virgin UK – 3 Upper Class redemption tickets for HKG-SYD rebooked onto CX within 10 minutes in business class.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BusinessBabble – That’s the decision made by mainland European carriers years ago. Will BA or QF follow … that’s the big question which has been debated at length in this Forum.

canucklad – I don’t know about the Sydney staff, but “dozens of Hong Kong cabin crew to lose jobs” according to the SCMP.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1421011/dozens-hong-kong-based-virgin-atlantic-cabin-crew-lose-jobs

Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad – we are spending a few days in HKG on the way out and then just overnight on the way back, really to split the journey. This CX flight timing is much better as although we leave SYD earlier, we get to HKG round tea time, so dinner opportunities now rather than not getting to HKG till almost midnight. Being realistic, I always think if you have an afternoon flight, you never really do anything before heading to the airport, so we can enjoy the day flight and still be “fresh” for some dinner!! 😉

Don’t know where you are today, but it is blooming miserable here – pouring rain, so, you just know that means smelly dogs! Could do with a bit of SM’s perfumed wafting through here right now! LOL!

Thanks MS! 😉 🙂

SpeedbirdA380
    Participant

So pleased to hear that things are working out for everyone – well done Papillion53 for not letting this go and it is great to see how many people have helped with the problem.

A credit to our Forum.

canucklad
    Participant

Papillion – It’s a dreich day down here too, although not pouring- thankfully (W Lothian)

And I’ve trained my brain to believe that spring (daffodils appearing) is imminent.

My trigger is the start of the 6 nations, at some point in Scotland’s travails over the next 6 weeks, there is every chance of seeing a blush of yellow appearing in the middle of a roundabout somewhere round about here! : )

If the daffs are here, summer sunshine will surely follow…..

My optimistic outlook on life makes me welcome crappy weather when it’s this time of year. Makes our unpredictable summer appear absolutely glorious by comparison !!

And I’m assuming you have done the whole HK thing before?

Papillion53
    Participant

SpeedbirdA380 – yes it is a fabulous forum!

Canucklad – I like your way of thinking …. No, never been to HK before, so it’s all exciting …. And again thanks to people on this forum, I’ve got lots of info, tips and suggestions for places to stay and eat while we are there, so that’s a huge help.

Btw, just because I’m me and I like to check that bookings are still in place and the new CX booking was in our MMB, I thought I’ll just check our BA flights too.

Hhhmmm…. Must be my week, I’ve now discovered that our flights on CX from HKG to OZ have been changed and put back a day. Doesn’t sound too bad, until you start to factor in arrangements that have been made in OZ. But the worst thing is, why on earth do BA not tell you! They have all our contact details, well they certainly manage to send copious amounts of marketing emails! They did exactly the same with our booking last year coming back from the US! And then when you try and change the booking online, “their systems are not responding”, so you have to phone.
    Pain in the you know what ….. And we still haven’t heard from them re our out of pocket expenses from the ATC chaos in December.

The difference between the two airlines regarding communication is incomparable. And VS are currently working under so much pressure with this route cancellation.

Kettle on, I think! 😉 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Let’s be fair to BA Papillion, it’s only been, ehmmmmm : )
    Stay tenacious, like a terrier with a bone and I’m sure you will wear them down!! lol
    I’m sure Ian and CX will have great advice, but if you like seafood and you’re up for something out of the HK ordinary head to Lamma Island !
    You’lll love the experience or think it ghastly, but it’s certainly memorable !!!!

BigDog.
    Participant

canucklad – 05/02/2014 14:53 GMT

We’ll keep a welcome in the hillside….
    and there will be lots of Daffs (&Leeks) if you
    manage to come down on 15/3.
    You’ll enjoy everything bar the scoreline methinks 😉

CXDiamond
    Participant

I’m glad this has worked out well Papillion.

I also think BA’s days on the kangaroo route are numbered. Most people are wiser about choices now and the options from the regions of the UK are good and from London they are even better. With so many choices why would you choose BA in any class? Certainly as has been said before, the premium cabins do not measure up to the competition.

On another note, I am hoping to remain a CXDiamond but later this month I will be moving to Singapore, not sure why, it’s a bit of corporate shuffling, my job will be identical including all my work in China but my base will be SIN. I’ve very mixed feelings about leaving HKG but latterly the pollution has been getting to me so on the score of clean air, I’m glad to go.

BigDog.
    Participant

I hope things go well for you CX though I prefer the eclectic vibrant HK to the more staid and safe Singapore.

Personally have had more of a problem with smog/haze visiting S’pore than HK, so hope things have improved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22982018

CXDiamond
    Participant

Thanks BD.

SIN does have some pollution problems but in HKG it more seems like a permanent feature. SIN appeals – maybe I’m getting to an age where staid and safe are more attractive than vibrant!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls