Virgin Atlantic to withdraw from Australia

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)

• SergeantMajor
    Participant

Do you think Virgin will shortly announce their withdrawal from the London – Dubai route?

If BA puts its A380 on the route, it will further marginalise Virgin’s already thinned down offering; wouldn’t VS be better routing vi AUH and connecting passengers onto Virgin Australia, thereby continuing an all-Virgin option to Oz?

Shame the various Virgin airlines aren’t properly integrated.

SimonS1
    Participant

Probably. That’s what superchris suggested last week.

Good time to do it as well with international airlines having to reduce their frequencies into Dubai by 50% over the summer.

rferguson
    Participant

Would make sense SM.

Virgin could effectively market an around the world fare using the Virgin group if it flew LHR-AUH. LHR-AUH-SYD-LAX-LHR.

Could give passengers the option of a stopover in LA one way and the mid east on the other. I guess it would take quite a lot of schedule co-ordination between the various airlines though.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Virgin could do that, but I doubt it could do it effectively.

Too many barriers to joining up the disparate Virgin branded entities to make it work without significant investment and time.

BusinessBabble
    Participant

The LHR-AUH-SYD trip would be a pretty unexciting option for a round the world ticket, can’t see they’d be many takers for AUH given the other possibilities in SE Asia or South Africa for the trip Australia?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess it could be done without too much difficulty, and I’m sure there would be some people who’d go for it. Air New Zealand used to offer a RTW fare but not sure if it’s still available.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

LP – ANZ no longer fly all the way round the world, having dropped their HKG-LHR flights. Although given the codeshare arrangement they implemented with CX to carry passengers onward to London, perhaps they do still offer the fare

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I thought they had dropped HKG LHR so thanks for confirming Ian.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Etihad own a fair share of Virgin Australia, around the 34% mark if i recall correctly. I am Down in Australia just now, and flew LHR-AUH-SYD but with Etihad.
    When booking, it was possible also to travel on the Virgin Australia 773-ER flight, so Etihad and VA are already codeshare linked and reciprocal with Etihad in terms of FFP.
    On that basis, I am not so sure that the VS flight being changed from Dubai to AUH would add anything, as EY have this covered already with 3 flights daily. EY already take passengers to Dubai with luxury coaches for Economy, or chauffeur cars for Biz & First customers, 60 miles away and takes an hour only.

I have to be honest also, VS/VA comes no-where near the standards in any cabin /class compared to Etihad. Though VA have a PE cabin, and EY have a First cabin. The EY AUH-SYD, still uses the combination of either 773ER’s or the A346. I find their Business cabin far more private and the on board service tailored to your needs, than VA offer. Who would turn down their transfers and free 5 star stopover hotels too…?

Where is VS going just now ?
    I ditched them a few years ago after some dire flights as a gold FC member. They have this arrangement with Delta, but still not announcing any Alliance join up, but appear to be linking in with Skyteam, and would have to for Delta’s long term plans, so this is probably already agreed. EY have a 10 year agreement signed with AF/KLM also, part of Skyteam. then there is their investment and board influence of Air Berlin, Air Serbia, Darwin Airlines, Aer Lingus…

But isn’t it interesting as the point made earlier, that in fact Etihad are building up their own group of Airlines, not as an Alliance, but as a group they invest in and have Board influence with?
    It is extending from Australia, through to Europe.

Down under, Virgin Australia has a very strong hold and good reputation on the domestic market, Qantas is fastly fading in reputation and standards, and their Jetstar add in low cost.

I have flown on all at some stage, and like Flying Fox, for over 20 years as used to live and work, then work once a year in Australia.
    I also like to mix stopovers points when coming through Asia, though tend to by a straight Biz class return, and make a a side trip within Asia, which is quite inexpensive these days.

But flying an excellent Business class down here from LHR with stopovers in AUH on Etihad, i am far more tempted with what they have to offer and the stopover opportunities, and drawn away from going via Asia.
    I also had the opportunity to bid an offer for First, which i got, and was really one of the best flights i have had in 20 years.

What interests me, is the perception down here from Australia, and the excellent upmarket reputation that EY and EK have here now, and a natural option to travel to Europe via The Gulf carriers.

I see ahead a couple of years of major shift and change in those flying from Europe to oceania, and Asia routes losing out. Customers have already shifted to The Gulf route, and we are now really starting to see less take up via Asia, clearly indicating that business has moved across. Tourism has been affected in the last few years with the AU $ very strong, and Euro/ £ being of less value, and that has a big impact on costs for staying and living day to day in Australia, with far greater expense.
    I do not think there is a growth in traffic to share around, more taking others between the Airlines. Hence, Air New Zealand and VS and BA being casualties in this for the oceania – Europe travels. If it continues, then there will be less business for the Asian Airlines from Europe, for Oceania bound customers.

The massive shift and aims of EK alone to be “The World Hub” is beginning to have some impact, for travelling East from Europe.

I think we are already seeing HUGE changes, and in the next couple of years for Australia travel, and some major adjustments in the European Market, with the smaller Airlines being absorbed or just not being there any longer.

This thread is just one aspect of the change in World Order of the Airlines and their groups, be they Alliances or Investments.
    This with a realignment going on in the UK and in Europe…a time of Significant changes that are well underway!

EMIRATES AND JETSTAR AGREEMENT…
    And here we just have Emirates having signed an agreement with jetstar, adding 27 destinations in Australia! Earn and spend miles with each Airline for Skywards members.

Good example of what we are in the midst of…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

During Sir Richard Branson’s visit to Dubai earlier this week it was admitted that Virgin Atlantic had been losing US$10 million a year on the Sydney route.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/richard-branson-slams-emirates-qantas-alliance-approval-538234.html

MarcusUK
    Participant

Hi Alex…
    Quite surprising that they kept the route going then, for face value?

Was this not most of their most recent profit for one year, or a good slice of what they had to spend to revamp things…and re-painted the planes, made minor insignificant and unvalued changes to the Upper Class, and gave the Dorothy red shoes back to the cabin crew?!!

I wonder of the other routes?

ekond111
    Participant

You would think that Virgin Atlantic could provide the LHR-HKG leg and Virgin Australia could provide the HKG-SYD leg….but then RB doesn’t have control over Virgin Australia – apart from the brand.
    Interesting to see BA keeping this LHR-SYD for the time being as Virgin certainly has a lower cost base….

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls