Virgin Atlantic – refused a cup of tea in business class!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

Sorry jsn55 – I should have said Cornish person!

1 user thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

jsn55 said, “How can one even think of jam first … cream first so the jam has something to hold on to.”

Thank you, but my very extensive research has found that with such a move [1] the cream makes the scone soggy if there is any delay before eating: clearly a disaster. [2] The jam tends to slide slowly off the cream if there is any delay, being heavier: another disaster, as the jam piles up on the plate and makes it sticky.

Research continues.

All this, and the enormous and vital question of “tea first or milk first into the cup? (in teapot scenarios)” has not even been broached. As a teabag user, I will refrain from speculating (for now).

jsn55
    Participant

You’re obviously not a Cornishman. Excellent correction, my dear Monty. It’s the duty of all red-blooded females of the world to make contemporary vocabulary as complicated as possible when it comes to our equality and the related adjectives. I’m glad to see it’s working well in Cornwall (or wherever anyone has to think fast before speaking these days).

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I gather The West of England Summer Rock Festival has descended into chaos. No one can agree which should go on first – The Jam or Cream.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Actually I’m a Scot but one who has visited Cornwall every year for the pest 25 years or so.[postquote quote=1099568]

Montysaurus
    Participant

Regarding the substitution of “pest” for “past”, predictive text can be a bit of a past.

3 users thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

[postquote quote=1099570]

As one who drinks tea without milk, I am fortunate not to have to ponder this vital question!

However, when adding a slice of lemon, I prefer to do this after the tea is poured. Oh and giving the slice a gentle squeeze adds to the overall flavour.

On another note has the OP heard anything from Virgin Atlantic customer service yet?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=1099606]As one who drinks tea without milk, I am fortunate not to have to ponder this vital question!

However, when adding a slice of lemon, I prefer to do this after the tea is poured. Oh and giving the slice a gentle squeeze adds to the overall flavour.[/quote]

I’m totally with you on this Pat 😉

cwoodward
    Participant

It came as no surprise to read (in 2019) that BA no longer serves scones in business or 1st class however Cathay do and with British clotted cream. It is Malaysian though that several sources say serves the best ‘afternoon tea’ including excellent scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream. I don’t travel often with Malaysian (the last time was 3 years ago) and have no personal experience of this delight. They do however serve an excellent cup of tea as I recall.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1099659]It came as no surprise to read (in 2019) that BA no longer serves scones in business or 1st class[/quote]

Maybe it’s time for another re-brand for BA , akin to the tail fin debacle — Change the name of our “national” carrier to ……

Not very British Anymore Airways

Substitute lemon curd for the Strawberry jam and , well no need for me to continue !!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am curious about the serving of sugar, to those that require.

Should sugar be served cubed with tongs or granular format with a silver spoon…. Should there be a difference in how sugar is served between First and Business for a high tea serving..

@PatJordan
    – have you come across lemon tea with sugar? Which goes in first.. the lemon or the sugar?

Oh I wish travel would return and fast…

peter craggs
    Participant

I flew BA premium economy from LGW to TPA a couple years ago and asked for a camomile tea. I was told that this was only available in business class. I said, ‘why not just go into business and get me a camomile tea bag’.

The attendant said she couldn’t do this because it might deprive a business class passenger of their camomile tea!

A complaint to BA after the flight did at least result in some Avios points.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Martyn said, “Should sugar be served cubed with tongs or granular format with a silver spoon….”.

I’ll go for cubed with tongs. And that reminds me of one of my favourite sayings, “What the definition of a gentleman? — Someone who uses sugar tongs when dining alone”. Very simple, but it always struck a chord with me.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

asked for green tea in premium economy on my last BA long haul, got a surly response (from a very young team member, probably wanted to be reading a day old copy of the Daily Fail) that it wasn’t on the trolley (issue was sorted by the CSD (Gold Exec Club perks, no hissy fit thrown, just a quiet request when he welcomed me on board))

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1099845]

I always thought that the definition of a gentleman was someone who can play the bagpipes….. but doesn’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls