Virgin Atlantic – refused a cup of tea in business class!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 121 total)

• alistairNicoll
    Participant

Saying that, unless the flight is packed and the crew have their hands full, it really shouldn’t be too much to ask for and receive a second cup. Maybe the crew members were just rushed off their feet? It can happen on a full load Westward bound day flight.

Sorry but in business class this is (or should not be) an issue. The only times the crew are rushed off their feet is after take off and the first round of drinks service and meals and during other meal services if there is a second meal.

I am with FRANCESCABARNES on quality this and would(and do) include Oman and Qatar air as well as the Asian airlines anyday over VS or BA. I do not put politics before service when I chose who to fly with

1 user thanked author for this post.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

to Woodpecker – the crew would be extremely busy, reading yesterday’s Daily Fail in the galley (or is that just BA)

and not to make a point of the tea issue (it’s a touchy subject for some), the water boils at a lower temperature at altitude (even at 8000ft level of pressurisation, is the tea better on a Dreamliner or A350 that are pressurised at around 6000ft, just a thought)

bombayteddy
    Participant

All I can say is, airlines must follow this motto: “Coffee, tea and courtesy”!

EasternPedlar
    Participant

[quote quote=1097158]I’m not flying anymore so am not up to speed with the COVID restrictions implemented by the Indian Govt at the moment. I do know in August last year when I flew an India route they were way over and above other destinations.
    At that time we had to wear FULL PPE (hair nets, goggles, the lot) and there was NO inflight service. A plastic bag was left at each seat prior to boarding containing snacks and sealed drinks. This is what was mandated by the Indian government.
    It could be the case that soft drinks and water were offered instead of tea as they can both be served in a sealed container. But it doesn’t then make sense that tea is available two hours before arrival.[/quote]

Rferguson, thank you for your insights, which are always of immense value.

I’ve been through the phase of crew in PPE and boxes of snacks, although I did get a few (paper) cups of tea on my last BA flight in November ’20! I was also given a plastic visor to wear over my face mask.

This Virgin flight, however, was totally different. No PPE, just normal face masks. No plastic visors, either. There was little effort at distancing or covid security as the crew were constantly walking around the cabin with trays of open glasses of juice and water. I must have someone come up to me at least five times offering me a soft drink. The meal was served on regular china. In these circumstances I honestly don’t understand what the issue was over serving a hot beverage! (And just to clarify, the flight was not bumpy, seat-belt signs were not on, and the crew were not busy as this was comfortable between service hours). The post prandial hot beverage was not offered as well, and I thought that was par for the course in the upper cabins. If these are company defined service standards, the crew are not to blame. So much for Virgin, I’ll simply take my business elsewhere.

Many thanks to those who’ve understood the importance of a good cup of tea! And to those of you who don’t get what the fuss is about, I can only offer my sympathies…

@Tupelokid, I love the expression “Bransoesque faux bonhomie” – it hits the nail on the head!

5 users thanked author for this post.

jsn55
    Participant

This is an absurd situation. Makes absolutely no sense at all. I cannot imagine what the FA was up to. Did you speak with the Purser on the flight? And please share Virgin’s feedback with us.

MS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1097295]

I am British.

One time, I went to a restaurant and they put the knife on the left side!!! I was absolutely appalled! I asked the waitress why they did that and demanded an apology. So I guess I kind of understand how it feels to have no tea. Has anyone experienced such unacceptable dining?

EasternPedlar
    Participant

[quote quote=1097343]I am British.
    One time, I went to a restaurant and they put the knife on the left side!!! I was absolutely appalled! I asked the waitress why they did that and demanded an apology. So I guess I kind of understand how it feels to have no tea. Has anyone experienced such unacceptable dining?[/quote]

You’re missing the issue by taking things literally. I’m writing about service standards in a business class cabin. I paid a substantial fare to fly in business class, and the expectation is better seating comfort and better service – including amongst other things a beverage service on demand. That’s what I have hitherto received, and what I expect. Being refused a hot beverage without good reason in a business cabin is rather unusual. In my opinion, there is something wrong with Virgin’s service model here, and that’s what my post is about. Virgin charges the same as other airlines for their business cabin and it is noteworthy if their service falls short. If you fly regularly in premium cabins you should have no difficulty in getting my point.

You’re obviously getting your jollies by baiting people on here. Enjoy. My post has served its purpose and this thread has pretty much come to an end.

MS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1097345]

Thank God it’s over!

Now we can talk about MY experience when I flew BA First Class and they didn’t make my bed! (True story, they didn’t make my bed!!!)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Before a new Boston Tea party erupts or an unmade bed causes a climbing share price to plunge – I find this discussion fascinating. Of course with respect to the OP who created this thread – but probably all of us have this bit of DYKWIA inside of us, having paid ourselves or benefited from a company expense account, when travelling upfront.

Clearly in this case 2 beneficiaries of front end travel have opinions of expected benefits NOT being provided… in one case a cup of tea and the other an unmade bed. One was upset, the other, well didn’t seem to mind.

On the basis we have very little else to moan or praise about at the moment, who will man (or lady) up, to what has caused them to throw toys out of the pram when expected front end travel benefits have not been provided OR even just ignored the fact for example an expected meal or fine wine service was not provided and didn’t care one bit.

I will own up to creating a big fuss on a day flight (some years ago) to MCO, in upper, when cabin crew constantly woke me up when talking to an upgraded colleague sitting one row behind me. My toys rattled so much I was spoken to very sternly by the one in charge, who threatened to ask the captain to make an appearance. A very amusing ending as the SFO did come down because my behaviour was reported to the f/d, & the SFO knew me from a previous company. One this occasion a ‘world war’ was ended in the proper English fashion over a cup of tea, some fizz, apologies all round and a visit to the flight deck (pre 9/11 of course)…

I hope the OP doesn’t mind a bit of amusing and hopefully honest thread drift…

6 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Starter for ten, being the most monumentally inappropriate level of service in a premium cabin.

BA HKG-LHR in F. Two male crew members looked as though they had slept in their uniforms. The welcome drink offer on boarding was “champagne, although it’s not cold, but I could put some ice cubes in it for you, or orange squash.”

Later in the flight, having not been offered a wine list, I asked what white wine choices they had. The answer was “we’ve got a French one called Merolest” (turned out to be Meursault). Came with him holding the bottle round the neck with his fist; poured it into my glass without a second thought and walked away.

And this was before Cruz.

2 users thanked author for this post.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

[quote quote=1097370]Before a new Boston Tea party erupts or an unmade bed causes a climbing share price to plunge – I find this discussion fascinating. Of course with respect to the OP who created this thread – but probably all of us have this bit of DYKWIA inside of us, having paid ourselves or benefited from a company expense account, when travelling upfront.
    Clearly in this case 2 beneficiaries of front end travel have opinions of expected benefits NOT being provided… in one case a cup of tea and the other an unmade bed. One was upset, the other, well didn’t seem to mind.
    On the basis we have very little else to moan or praise about at the moment, who will man (or lady) up, to what has caused them to throw toys out of the pram when expected front end travel benefits have not been provided OR even just ignored the fact for example an expected meal or fine wine service was not provided and didn’t care one bit.[/quote]

Hang on Martyn, where is the DYKWIA or throwing toys out of the pram? I certainly didn’t utter a word to the crew! You are being most unfair!

I stand my ground that this was sub par service and, yes, I was disappointed. My post is a sharing of experience and a heads up to any potential Virgin customer about what awaits them. That’s what this forum is for.

You can drift away as much as you wish. I must admit that this post has got more traction than I expected!

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi EasternPedlar – absolutely no intention or inference intended to suggest what you thought or that I was trying to discredit your thread in any way.. I was writing in very generic terms, especially in the comment

“but probably all of us have this bit of DYKWIA inside of us”

…and included myself in that part..

Just trying to lighten the mood in the thread before the very interesting discussion turned into to something else.

My apologies to you if you thought otherwise….

6 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

As we all know, ‘the devil is in the detail’. Understandably, a freshly brewed cuppa is a must for many of us, so it is hard to comprehend why a business class passenger should be denied such a basic item. Not having ‘one’s bed made’ doesn’t come any where near being refused a cuppa, as we’re all able to make our own beds.

‘Starter for ten’, I was flying from SFO to LHR in the mid 90s in BA’s First, with seats still in pairs. A flight attendant accidentally knocked a glass of red wine over a First Class passenger. Adding insult to injury, we then found out that one of the passengers in First Class was a senior member of the BA Management Team. The flight attendant responsible for the wine spill was most concerned, but fortunately, there was no DYKWIA or toys thrown from prams.

4 users thanked author for this post.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

[quote quote=1097379]Hi EasternPedlar – absolutely no intention or inference intended to suggest what you thought or that I was trying to discredit your thread in any way.. I was writing in very generic terms, especially in the comment
    “but probably all of us have this bit of DYKWIA inside of us”
    …and included myself in that part..
    Just trying to lighten the mood in the thread before the very interesting discussion turned into to something else.
    My apologies to you if you thought otherwise….[/quote]

Many thanks for your reply, Martyn. No apology needed, we are just having a to and fro on the Forum, all in good spirit.

My concern about the use of the expressions DWKWIA and “throwing toys out of the pram” was that they suggested unreasonable expectations or behaviour, and I don’t believe that to be the case. But please, let’s not dwell on this any further.

5 users thanked author for this post.

jsn55
    Participant

You guys are killing this Yank with your hilarious British take on things. I live with a man who gets exercised about nearly anything and has been known to pitch many toys out of the pram in his younger years. So little bothers me, and if it does I’m quick to speak up with a polite pointed request to behave properly. Thankfully, knowing that his temper often gets the best of him, he has learned to let me deal with things that really are a problem, such as an announcement that we have coach seats on the new flight after a cancellation.

However, Martyn has completely stepped over the line with is “man or lady” reference. The correct wording in this world of equality would be “man or woman”; “gentleman or lady” if you please. I am simply appalled, Martyn. For those reading this post who don’t know that I’m making a little joke, please do not start an argument about it. The unmade bed story was bad enough.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls