Virgin Atlantic – refused a cup of tea in business class!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)

• EasternPedlar
    Participant

I flew long haul with VS earlier this week, from Delhi to LHR, in Upper Class. They used one of their new A350-1000s. A comfortable enough flight but I was quite taken aback when a request for a cup of tea was refused – this was about 5 hours into a 9 hour flight, well after the lunch service. I was told that I could have water or a soft drink, but tea would only be available during the tea service about 2 hours before landing. I’ve never had that happen before in 30 odd years of flying in Business. I thought that the price one paid for Business (three – four times the economy fare) covered the extra service!

I drink a lot of tea and would have loved a second cup at tea time, but didn’t dare ask when I heard the chap in front of me being told that the trolley comes around only ONCE!

Just wondering whether I had a bad crew member, or if that is Virgin’s service standard. Come to think of it, they didn’t offer us any tea or coffee post lunch, either. The crew were friendly enough otherwise, in that informal manner that Virgin adopts, so I suspect it’s more likely to be an airline decision. A small thing, but it has really put me off!

4 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

No cup of tea on demand in Business Class, I find that very poor.

Similar to what you wrote, I’ve never had that happen in 20 years of flying in Business (on many great airlines – never on Virgin Atlantic though), almost all long haul. On flights I always wake very early, while everyone else seems to be sleeping, fancy my morning coffee, and ask a flight attendant for one. It is always very quickly supplied. And I do expect that level of service, considering the high cost I pay for the ticket.

Personally I vote with my feet regarding airlines and hotels – once bitten, twice shy.

5 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

In all my long years of flying, I have encountered many daft, illogical and laughable reasons from cabin crew in response to simple requests.

EK, on a DXB-SYD sector in J about 20 years ago, win the prize for the golden bollock award. My request for a glass of white wine was met with the reply “we only serve red wine at this stage of the flight”.

Priceless.

cwoodward
    Participant

If no fairly grovelling apology and explanation is forthcoming VS looks to perhaps be rather past its ‘best before’ date.
    Perhaps time for a change, for all of its shortcomings there is never likely to be a shortage of tea in BA business.

TupeloKid
    Participant

[quote quote=1097043]The crew were friendly enough otherwise, in that informal manner that Virgin adopts,[/quote]

“The crew were friendly enough otherwise, in that informal manner that Virgin adopts, …”: that Bransonesque faux bonhomie.

canucklad
    Participant

Not getting a cuppa on a British airline, flying from a country that also loves tea. Sounds like a country deeply rooted in coffee culture might be influencing Vs here ?
    Now where does Delta come from again ? 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

On seeing the title of this thread, my initial thought was that the refusal was based on Covid restrictions. However as other drinks were available, this doesn’t appear to be the case.

At a time when aviation industry in dire straits, and some airlines are struggling for survival I would have thought that fare paying passengers (particularly premium fare) would be welcomed with open arms.

I can understand that staff being fearful for their jobs might need some motivation. However, when working in a service industry, customer satisfaction has never been as important. Surely the Airline would have impressed upon the customer facing staff the need to make those who opened their wallets feel valued?

At the very least there should be a hot water dispenser in the galley, with teabags, teapots, sugar, etc. Self service tea is better than none.

I assume the OP has taken up this issue with Virgin Atlantic Customer Service. I would be interested to hear the outcome.

Stay safe everyone.

6 users thanked author for this post.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

[quote quote=1097093]I assume the OP has taken up this issue with Virgin Atlantic Customer Service. I would be interested to hear the outcome.[/quote]

Hi, thanks PatJordan, I have written to VS customer service and will post if and when I hear back.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

ah the Golden Bollox Awards ……. how’s this?

on a CX flight from ICN to HKG in Economy I asked for a Gin & Tonic and was told, very politely, that they didn’t have cocktails on the trolley (was fair too British, and said ‘oh ok’) ……

was the no tea related to it being a tad bumpy (cold drinks ok)

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I’m surprised and dissapointed with Vrigin Atlantic and would hope this was just a rogue FA. I much prefer the Virgin Upper Class product to many other Business Class offerings – especially BA. The Virgin lounges are excellent, the seats comfortable and staff very pleasant. I liked the way the crew would expertly make up the bed while I changed into the Virgin sleeper suit.

It’s been a while since I’ve flown with them – last flight they still had the bar, where any drink, including tea, was avaiable for the entire flight. I think now they have something called The Loft, where I thought you could order drinks – what did you have on this flight?

Slayeronwings
    Participant

Could this be because VS have their own world known coffee expert Andrea, The smiling coffee queen? And tea is not their main event? Or as mentioned before, could it be DL decisions?
    On the other hand I’ve seen the demand for tea on this route in the Y cabin and it might be that the FA was down there helping out and upon returning to the Upper Cabin, mistook it for the Y cabin?
    Cant wait to hear about the response from VS and the offer of 5K miles for the inconvenience.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

If, when flying on American carriers, you want a cuppa, you have to ask for “hot” tea, otherwise the default is the iced variety….

rferguson
    Participant

I’m not flying anymore so am not up to speed with the COVID restrictions implemented by the Indian Govt at the moment. I do know in August last year when I flew an India route they were way over and above other destinations.

At that time we had to wear FULL PPE (hair nets, goggles, the lot) and there was NO inflight service. A plastic bag was left at each seat prior to boarding containing snacks and sealed drinks. This is what was mandated by the Indian government.

It could be the case that soft drinks and water were offered instead of tea as they can both be served in a sealed container. But it doesn’t then make sense that tea is available two hours before arrival.

5 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Update: Just asked a VS crew member who is a friend. He told me that to reduce person – to – person contact there is no ‘ad hoc’ service to be available that requires crew preparation in between the two main services. A bit strange, but does seem the crew member was following procedure in this case.

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers for the above 2 posts rferguson
    Incredibly perplexing how the world implements illogical, sometimes contradictory rules to combat the spread of the virus. Although one unwritten rule seems to dominate, if it’s an easy over the top minimal effect rule then its put to the top of the list . And that list is endless !!

As an aside, I rarely have tea onboard an aircraft primarily due to the fact the crew never ever get it just right, and add UHT milk into the mix and it becomes a definite “black coffee” response

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls