Unpleasant behaviour on the forum

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)

• AsiaPacific
    Participant

@NIRscott. Agree it might be unfair to put the blame on BT. Unfortunately when some posters do not understand what is, and what is not, unacceptable ‘net’ behaviour , someone has to remind them or step in.
    I do not think any one minds disagreements , even arguments , but personal attacks / abuse is OUT.
    Be interested in exploring the software to assist in moderation.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Oh come on guys we have been here before????

Forum Etiquette 2012

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Forum-Etiquette-2012

What is this board about?

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/What-is-this-board-about

I’m back (take 2)

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/I-m-back-(take-2)

The future of the Business Traveller forum

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/The-future-of-the-Business-Traveller-forum

Deleted Threads

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Deleted-Threads

and not to mention all the others that were removed….

Do we really need this one as well?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BB – how do you search the forum so comprehensively. Whenever I need to look for something specific, it take me ages to find anything….

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Witchcraft.

(For the avoidance of doubt, the above is a joke and no aspersions cast on BB’s ability to find old threads)

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Pure luck šŸ˜‰ x

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

BeckyBoop – 28/03/2013 21:49 GMT
    What is this board about?
    http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/What-is-this-board-about

Hi Becky

That link you’ve posted, interestingly, is exactly one-year-old. So, on the 28th of March 2012 there was a great deal of discussion about trolling, thread bumping/editing (which I thought was paranoia until recently) found-less claims about quality of product offerings and basically was the same discussion that we’re having today.

So, in answer to your “do we really need this again”, very clearly the group does need to discuss/debate/seek a solution as the same problems are still as prevalent, if not more so, one year on.

Regards.
    AOTG.

PatJordan
    Participant

Only saw this thread a few minutes ago.

I join those who are sorry to see 1F leave. His posts were well informed, well written and enjoyable.

Maybe 1F will read the thread and have a rethink: most of us would be delighted to see him return. I certainly would.

AsiaPacific
    Participant

@AOTG – Strongly agree with your last post. If this forum is to grow and continue to be relevant it needs to address this issue which has clearly been ‘festering’ for some time ( as confirmed by @BB post) and swept under the carpet and not sorted.
    Why is this thread not re-named or directed to suggestions on what should be the accepted behaviour / etiquette of all posters and agreed and maybe posted up as conditions of posting.
    That way if people cross the line they can be ‘advised’ by all other members that they are out of line.
    Remember that silence on these issues can be taken as condoning them. One must speak out in life for what one believes in.
    Happy Easter to all of those who celebrate it.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m not a saint,
    I’m definately not PC correct,
    I definately could not use my real monicker….for all I know 1 of you could be typing away in your Lagos apartment..
    Told you I wasn’t PC correct

I do know that 90+% of us treat this forum with respect…and when I say forum…the defination of forum is us., the people who enjoy contribuiting…..

And like Papillion says, sometimes we need to look inwards at how we interpret the written word, and understand how how own mood and mindset percieve text.

It’s a shame that we can’t take a page out the “Tartan Army’s” book and self policy with humility and humour!!

Maybe we can all pretend that we are in an airline lounge, because if the other topic is to be believed we all behave like angels in that enviroment !! šŸ™‚

Anyway its Easter and I’m at work ….Boooo

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

canucklad – 29/03/2013 08:46 GMT
    for all I know 1 of you could be typing away in your Lagos apartment..

I’m glad you brought that up canucklad.

I represent the royal family of Nabooski and as such have been left a dynasty of 4,000,000,00.32, U$D from Prince AndTheNewRevolution and I need to help from friends in your part of the world, Canuckstan, to give me some assistance to deliver these monies to you.

If you could send me your bank account details, sort code, date of birth, inside leg measurement and an Easter egg (not a cheap Mini Eggs one, a proper one worth at least a tenner) to the below address, I will send you your share which could be as much as ā‚¬1,798,9098.03&

22 Honesty Street
    Promisedland
    Umbongo (they drink it in the jungle)

I look forward to persuading your acquaintance.

šŸ˜‰
    G.

Stringfellow
    Participant

‘AllOverTheGaff ‘

Very good, we have all of course been receiving these emails and before that faxes for years. I see they have now graduated to Skype, I recently added my Skype details to my business card so the name is now ‘out there’ and I have been lucky enough to receive a number of attractive business opportunities, offers of marriage and in one case I chance to receive the hidden Saddam Hussain gold via General David Petraus !

One of my staff is a contributor to a website called 419 Eater where they amuse themselves by winding up these conmen.

canucklad
    Participant

AOTGā€¦ā€¦

Your last post made me laughā€¦.it reminded me of an incident last yearā€¦..

When Iā€™m Beavering away I discipline myself to only check e-mails at specific timesā€¦ā€¦One Friday typing up a report , I noticed an e-mail pop in to my inbox from a good friend, who happens to be one of the topper dogs in one of our well known loved banksā€¦ā€¦As he never e-mails me I became curiouser than a cat on a hot tin roof and broke my self disciplineā€¦ā€¦

Anyway, I became even more inquisitive as to why he needed my assistance to help a valued clientā€¦..and why meā€¦.Me become a director of this company, to release certain fundsā€¦.. He knows how irresponsible I can beā€¦.

Will I quiz him on his request later when we play football together, or wait and discuss it over a pleasant pint of Best in our localā€¦ā€¦

Nah it seems urgent and I am intrigued, I will call him on his works number, supplied along with his authentic looking e-mail signatureā€¦.

ā€œMorning mate, its meā€¦.whatā€™s the story with your e-mail?ā€

ā€œ Ack Kan Sayyy thaā€¦blah blahā€¦ā€

ā€œWhy are you talking in a Nigerian accent mate? ā€¦.. ā€œ

>>>

Its scary that Mr. Lagos and his pals could replicate my mates details into e-mail form and coincidentally I received it and had the good sense to call himā€¦.

MarcusUK
    Participant

If this sort of language or attitude were to be in a work situation, some people on here would find themselves summarily dismissed. I won’t sue the word professional for these others, as they simply are not, and have clearly not been educated or trained to be so.

There is a clear distinction between those able to offer an opinion and view, disagree, and tolerate others as a free forum, and those who think it is their own domain. They appear to think that bullying and abuse on the site is acceptable. And yet BT do nothing about it?

Then again, it is widely known that some of the posts are from BT staff under a guise themselves!
    I wonder where the Press Complaints Commission or Police would stand on this if a report was made detailing an incident?

One friend and colleague of mine an Inspector in The Mids has already looked at some comments, and described them as “having considerable merit for police investigation…should they be reported…?!

The language and attitudes shown, and the subjects that then fall into abnormal behavioural reactions, slanging matches, are not a credit to this site…or those legally responsible and accountable for facilitating it…

That day will come, where someone from outside looks at the comments from individuals, and they are traced to whom they really are, which the Police technology (and other agencies) can do very easily!

Stringfellow
    Participant

‘MarcusUK ‘ I would hope the police have better things to do that worry about a few anonymous posts on the internet !!!

Papillion53
    Participant

marcusUK – I think you are over-reacting somewhat.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls