Forum Etiquette 2012

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I cant find the thread, so excuse me for starting a new one, but I was under the impression that we had agreed no personal attacks or insults directed at individual posters.

I was also under the impression that Forum Etiquette requires that posters are refered to using their full names or handle initials**.

Be nice everyone!

Edited at 11.10 GMT – definition of full names or handle initals

“full handles or sensible contractions, and no bastardisations”

HongKongLady
    Participant

Great idea x

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Does that mean we shouldn’t call you Martyn?

Charles-P
    Participant

Slightly off post but I have just returned from a series of meetings with people all of whom are retired Royal Navy sub-mariners, they are without doubt the politest people in the world.

When I mentioned this to one of them he explained that life on a submarine is one of incredible compromise. With the exception of the Captain nobody has a private bunk, privacy is effectively zero, every movement around the boat requires a number of people to compromise their standing or seating position and as a result sub-mariners become polite to an extraordinary degree.

The Dali Lama when asked why he was so happy all the time said,

“I use politeness as a weapon, it is difficult to be nasty to a person that smiles at you, laughs and listens to all you say”

SimonS1
    Participant

A while back this forum was quite useful as it was a source of either factual inputs or constructive opinions across a range of subjects.

These days there are too many instances where people feel a need to blindly spring to the defence of their pet suppliers at every turn. This unfortunately gets a bit boring, adds no value and sparks off a lot of the personal comments.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

It is a fair idea. Though taking a stand against the barefaced lies frequently perpetrated by the most prolific poster along with his blatant propaganda would address the root cause of the drop in standards of the forum.

Am sure if the lies, propaganda and unreal posts stopped forthwith then the etiquette would improve.

craigwatson
    Participant

Pot, kettle, and black springs to mind

Hippocampus
    Participant

Indeed.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Come on people. As Martyn said, “Be nice everyone” (sigh)

What a shame that a thread urging people to stop mudslinging has descended into mudslinging…

Thank you Ian_from_HKG. We’re perfectly happy for a thread to discuss forum etiquette, but if it continues to descend into, as you put it, “mudslinging”, it will be deleted. .

On a more positive note, we’re moving ahead with the new forum software, and hope to have more news on this soon once we have a schedule for implementation.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“It’s really up to the other BT posters to set out what they believe to be acceptable.”

Endless promotion of any one vendor irritates me.

capetonianm
    Participant

Part of the problem is that anyone who doesn’t follow the herd, or dares to be politically incorrect, is jumped upon by the majority. That said, it should still be possible to do this without personal insults.

Charles-P
    Participant

The post above from “capetonianm’ tempts me to state the ‘politically incorrect views above business travel that I hold:

I never think of my ‘carbon footprint’

I leave lights / AC / heating on in my hotel room when at dinner so the room will be nice and comfortable when I return to it

I prefer being served by an attractive female flight attendant to an ugly one (I assume she would rather serve a attractive man rather than me so it all balances)

I do not subscribe to the idea that positive discrimination in the workplace is a good idea, indeed I find it patronizing to minority groups.

I find overly ‘camp’ flight staff irritating.

I do not think my wife should cover her head in certain countries, that is their tradition not ours.

Well that got the ball rolling……

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I am a man who speaks bluntly as he finds.

The continuous apologists who will excuse anything while claiming to know best from what is an obvious standpoint of ignorance annoy me. I have pointed out the shortcomings in their arguments at times and that has led to me being accused of all manner of things by those people. They talk about insults but are more insulting themselves. I don’t think I’m the only person who identifies that.

I am pleased the person who posted the comments about fries earlier today has had the courtesy to remove it but that they posted it in the first place is more of a statement on them and how they view other people in our society. Shameful.

Another poster has chosen phrases from posts of mine, taken them totally out of context and posted their ‘evidence’ of my behaviour across several threads. That poster needs to look at their own behaviour before criticising that of others. If they are who they say they are, they ought to have better things to do. They have also claimed in the past that their credibility is known to the team of Business Traveller and as such they are inviolate, Business Traveller staff have been remarkably quiet in supporting that assertion. Judge for yourself.

I feel I am now in a no win situation, if I continue to post I will be accused of ‘picking’ on one person in particular each time I pick up one of their less than credible claims, if I disappear, it will be evidence that I was a troll all along. If I was a troll, I suppose at this stage I would just create a new handle and pop up again but that’s not what I am. I stand my ground.

I am far from the only person who has been singled out as picking on said poster, strange that when that poster is absent, the board is an easy place and no one accuses anyone of picking on them and everything runs much more smoothly.

Just my thoughts on what is a difficult situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls