Things that I Hate in an Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)

• mike313
    Participant

Not just LHR, but especially their “Flight Connection” center.

I typically arrive from the USA connecting to elsewhere in Europe around 7:00am. I cannot seem to get through FCC in less than 45 minutes (which was teh best I’ve ever done it); and that after walking an eternity through the terminal walkways.

Also on the return back to the USA when I am in LHR about 11:00am – 13:00pm – same thing. Its not so much the crowds, but the sheer inefficiency of just a couple of screening lines open out of the 8 – 10 installed.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I thought the rules required that all window shades be open on takeoff and landing?

CXDiamond
    Participant

Queues at security when the staff appear to be chatting and more lanes are closed than open. Immigration at LHR, do they really need to be so miserable and slow. Other than the US, nowhere is as bad as LHR.

canucklad
    Participant

Top marks to the 2 security staff that check your boarding card against your mug shot at LHR terminal 1—- on Friday at 17.30—smiling and cheerily sent people on their way…… For once didn’t feel like an extra in “Shawshank Redemption”

TiredOldHack
    Participant

There was a security bod at LHR T5 as we were departing to the US last month. A comedian if ever there was one. “Laptops, liquids, small cars, chainsaws, invalid carriages: all must be clearly visible…” sort of thing.

All the queue was smiling, ourselves included. Way to go.

My pet hates? AMS’s luggage retrieval (longest I’ve ever known, on several trips).

Pet loves? Free parking for motorcycles by every terminal in every UK airport. Rock up on the BM, unsling bag from back seat, lock boots, gloves, jacket, helmet etc in the panniers and top box, and just walk on. Lovely.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Bucksnet – I thought they had to be opened for landing and take off, but according to a post on another thread some time ago, the answer is that they can remain down for landing.

canucklad
    Participant

I must say I have been on many a flight where the cabin crew have insisted that the blinds are up for landing ….. both at night and during the day….whats annoying is when they insist on making sure everybody pulls them down during the day so they can simulate night time…just as the aircraft is flying over breath taking scenery …On a recent flight home the Old guy next to me was so deflated at missing Greenland in all its glory

craigwatson
    Participant

I’m sorry but if i had a window seat on a day flight, in the cruise and they told me to lower the blinds i’d tell them where they could put the blinds!

canucklad
    Participant

To be fair…it didn’t take long for the AC crew to relent when more and more people started looking out to see what the fuss was all about … even though there where quite a few tuts from the pax who wanted to sleep .. even though we took off from LHr at 10.30 and where due to arrive in YVR at 16.00 … maybe they should have a seperate compartment for th snoozies !! Good flight …old guy flew over his Outer Hebridean home so was chuffed and p******d before Greenland

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

I hate having to negotiate a path through an over-priced shopping centre before eventually finding what I came to the airport for: a plane!

canucklad
    Participant

Totally agree …what used to be a really nice airport ….large windows looking out onto the apron,runway and countryside is now a myriad of shops, with obligatory mountains of toblerone display ‘s…I think i’ll gamble £25 on a ticket to win a high performance car display..does anyone actually buy the tickets….sushi and champagne and oyster bars.etc.. the feeling of space and well being has been replaced with a clustrophobic experiance that only the girls from Ab Fab would enjoy..

Now where did the airplanes get too..!!

Oh did I mention that the Dick Turpins at EDIcharge everyone who wants to “spend even more money in their retail outlet” a huckleberry hound” just to be dropped off , including taxi’s

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The partitions in NCW between the seats only have to be down for the safety briefing. When I asked the cabin crew upstairs it was confirmed that it was up to the window seat passenger, whether the blinds were up or down.

On boarding, all the blinds were down, I raised the front 4 before my accompanying seat occupant boarded – this was a night flight so it was dark outside.

Personally, I do feel very uncomfortable, in not being able to see out when taking off or landing, but I realise some people may feel otherwise.

JordanD
    Participant

Window blinds down on a day flight is amongst the top things that “Really Grinds My Gears”. If I’ve chosen a day time flight, and either booked in advance or got to OLCI early and bagged a window, why am I demanded to put the blinds up or down to suit the crew? For safety reasons (TO/Landing), I totally agree that they should be up – and credit to the BA crew this week for ensuring that some ‘offenders’ were put in their place – but why must I close them during a day time flight?

People are given eye-masks, even in economy (on LAN and BA – my most recent experiences), so if they want darkness, they can cover up as required, leaving the rest of us in peace …

HonestCrew
    Participant

OK folks, this ‘blinds’ thing.
    At BA, blinds on doors up for take-off and landing, sometimes the pax window adjacent if the door if the door window only offers restricted viewing. Other blinds pax choice.
    My previous airline insisted all blinds up for t-off/landing, as it is definitely an advantage having 100’s of pairs of eyes looking out, spotting possible problems, flames, leaks, etc that from a crew seat we cannot see.

On boarding you may find blinds already down, this is to help keep the cabin cool from outside sunlight whilst the aircraft has been on the ground.

During the cruise, even if it is a daytime flight, the crew may ask for the blinds to be lowered. It is not for our benefit, it does not make people less hungry / thirsty / demanding.
    Very often there are many pax who have come in from another country prior, sometimes even the majority of pax, having had a very early start, who may be tired. Then it is appreciated by them if the cabin is calmer and darker.
    Only your crew will know this, they are the best positioned to judge.

Some folk may be wide awake but we tend to decide on what will be best for the majority.
    Occasionally a customer does object to having to close their blind but if by not doing so it is disturbing other people then we will insist, citing consideration for others, something some people seem to completely disregard when flying. Just because someone is sat by a window doesn’t mean they have ‘control’ of the blind. If it is their private jet they can do what they like, otherwise please do as they crew request, we know what is best for the majority, something which differs flight to flight.

If it is obvious someone has an interest in looking out for any possible nice views I would let them know they are welcome to have a look through the windows near the doors/galleys, even letting them know approximately when we will be flying over something of interest.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Fair points HonestCrew, it is difficult to balance those who wish to sync themselves with the destination time as soon as boarding with those still on local time. Still would have thought it easier to use the eye mask provided if you want to reduce ambient light though.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls